Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Honda Civic Questions.....

Search this Thread

Old 27 December 2001, 04:15 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Looking for some info on Honda Civics. Don't like the new mini-bus shape, but quite like the hatch shape of the previous model.

Now, I've seen TypeR's Type-R in action, and it shifts

What are the main differences between say a 1.6 VTi and the Type-R? Am I right in saying that the Type-R was only available as an import? How do the running costs/mpg/insurance compare between the two? Can the 1.6 be made (almost) up to Type-R standards? What are the servicing costs on these motors? Where would you service a Type R and are there any problems in obtaining parts/insurance?

Still mulling over a cheaper Scooby alternative

More questions to follow when I know what I'm on about
Old 27 December 2001, 09:06 PM
9000RPM
Scooby Newbie

Hanslow

I have at the moment an ITR and a civic 1.6 vti. I have also done a few miles in a MY98 civic type R(yes, they were imports only), so I may be able to help.

The 1.6 Vti has 158BHP where as the CTR(also a 1.6) has 185 BHP. Although most parts are interchangeable, they are worlds apart to drive. The Vti is a good car and will shame many a hot hatch. The CTR on the other hand is quick beyond belief!(0>60 in 5.5 and 0>100 in around 16 sec IIRC). Although It does need working very hard as it has even less torque than the ITR, but if you ask me, thats half the fun!

Running costs are much the same for the Vti,ITR and CTR. 30+mpg and very reasonable servicing(around £70 for the ITR for it's 9000 and 18000 mile service at a dealer, although pre sept98 cars have service intervals of 6000mls.). Thers nothing complicated about the servicing so can be done by anyone. Remember the synthetic oil though.

Excpect the type R to scoff tyres though. I got 5K out of my original Potenza re010's(Especially made for the ITR and an arm and a leg to buy). A swap to Potenza S02's seen that go up to nearly 9k with no loss of grip. In fact they were better in the wet!

I don't know much about the insurance on the CTR, but the ITR costs me £600(27yrs old, 4years NCB, 3 points and 1 large claim....oh and a good post code). The Vti is around £500, which seems a bit steep compared to the ITR.

One last thing. The 1.8Vti is nowhere near as good as the 1.6. It's slower and doesn't sound nearly as good. The steering is also a bit odd! Best stick to the 1.6(3 or 4dr).

Hope this helps.
Old 27 December 2001, 11:44 PM
9000RPM
Scooby Newbie

Hanslow

I forgot to mention that the CTR came in two guises.

One was the full 'bifter', Recaros, Torsion LSD, proper suspension, Air con etc.

The other was designed to be raced ie. It had none of the above. It was expected that these luxuries would be binned in favour of racing gear.

Make sure the car you're looking at(if you decide you want one)is not the racing one with a set of recaros in it.

By the way, if you read any road tests of the CTR(CAR,Performance Car(?) and Autocar IIRC). Take thier findings with a pinch of salt. They all used the racing version(dodgy suspension, no LSD)!!

Old 27 December 2001, 11:50 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Wink

Cheers dude, you've been a great help

Would love an old shape Civic Type R having seen Type R's (is the bloke Matt?) at Donington a couple of times.

Still doing groundwork on acceptable cars at the moment to see if I would be happy to replace the Scoob.

Reason I asked about bog standard Vti against Type R, is the number available. Hardly any old shape import Type Rs for sale, but a few more standard Vtis. Don't mind uprating suspension and stuff to give it a bit more ability but if there are major differences between the two, I may be best off holding out for a drive in the Type R (if I can find one )

No rush to change the Scoob as we ain't started looking for a new house yet.....
Old 29 December 2001, 08:13 AM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi there, i know of one for sale at Warrender, a few weeks back, which if still available you should be able to get it at a bargin price, due to new CTR.

There is also one for sale in Redline with the suspension done, he wants 12K for it thou, i reckon pay around 9-10K.

If you see me at a T/D next year, introduce yourself, and i will take you out for a spin.

Everything 9000rpm has said is spot on.

When looking be aware of the race version, mine has ABS, PAS, Elec Mirrors, Red Recaros, A/C, pay alot less for the stripped out version.
Old 29 December 2001, 04:30 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info Guys

Matt, I will give you a shout at the next track day

Have you had any problems insuring your Type R? Who you with and how much (roughly?). How do running costs compare to a Scoob (if you know)?

Cheers for the help guys
Old 30 December 2001, 07:48 AM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Talking

I paid £800 in Stratford upon Avon, Garage, Full No Claims, Exhaust, Filter, 12,000 miles, Cat 1, no previous, proberly goes up to a Grand living in Wigan.

That is with Bell Direct.

I am up for renewal at the end of Jan, so can i let you know the latest price.

Running costs are proberly half that of a Scoob.

30-36 miles to the gallon, 15" Wheeels = £70 tyres
Service every 6000 miles around £100-£150. I change the Oil and Filter every 3000 miles, and the engine feels brand new again.

It doesnt go wrong, and mine has had a lot of use on Track.
Old 30 December 2001, 08:08 AM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

I had a 2000 Civic VTi last year when I worked for Honda and was very impressed with both the handling and performance. For a 1600 it certainly had some legs on it and would shock quite a few other "Hot Hatches", although the fuel consumption when wound up wasn't very impressive (but what is?).
I also had the ITR as well but I found the suspension too much after a while, with all the bumps in the road it felt like I'd had a kicking from Lewis ( )
I haven't yet drove the new Civic TR, but have read and heard some good things about it....Its just a shame Honda didn't put a bit more thought into the exterior.

Nath
Old 30 December 2001, 11:18 AM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

I have just been out in the new Civic Type R and I was very impressed. Very tidy through some sharp corners and a lack of body roll. Accleration seemed to upset the pimp-Corsa and BMW my make went past and nice amount of pressure was applied to me!

I drive an MY01, so I should be biased, but I really did like the Type R a cracking car and if I was in the market and wanted a FWD car then I would have it.

IMO the silver negates the mini-MPV looks a great deal, the light are less obvious (until you turn them on), the dirt shows up less and the Type R badge is more obvious!

On the downside I would miss the burble of my current engine...
Old 30 December 2001, 12:15 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

If someone tells me how to put a sound clip of my car from a digital camera, we can compare sounds, i think you will be impressed.

A VTEC on full chat is not disimilar to a Touring Car.

I drive the old Civic Type R.

The new one looks too MPVish for me, and the steering is very wooley, and not as slideable, not that i tried in the Demo vechicle
Old 30 December 2001, 01:50 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Wink

Call me shallow but I agree entirely with Matt on the looks

That's why I'm after info on the import only Type-R. Prefer the looks of the old model, and if I can't lay my hands on one, or it turns out I need something still cheaper, then I think a 98/99 1.6 Vti will be the order of the day.

Pace of the Type R (as in Matt's variety, 98 Spec one) is awesome, specially for a NA car Downloaded some of the video clips from www.vtec.net and they do look absolutely awesome. Bit of a stealth car in my book (apart from the Type R badging ) as they do look somewhat ordinary.

One thing I need to find out is insurance cost. Matt, I would be interested in your insurance renewal, want something cheaper than the Scoob and something that doesn't require a tracker. Cat 1 alarm and immobiliser I don't mind getting fitted though

I've emailed Warrender about any Type-Rs they may have for details. Will probs not get anything back yet though, with it being xmas/new year and all that

Thanks for the input folks. What should I look for if I go and have a look at one?

Matt, if the soundclip ain't too big, email it to me and I will stick it on my meagre free webspace and put a link to it on this thread.

Edit : put wrong URL in

[Edited by Hanslow - 12/30/2001 1:56:17 PM]
Old 31 December 2001, 09:15 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Question

Just another quicky.....with it being a Jap import and all that.....

Will it be OK to run on 95 RON petrol? Or is it a petrol+boost / optimax job for the rest of it's life? I could live with the drop in power from 95 RON as long as it doesn't knacker the engine.

Cheers again
Old 01 January 2002, 11:39 AM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Cool

Happy New Year

Ok i have always ran mine on SUL, and that is what i would recommend, one reason the CTR did not come to the UK, is due to 100ron fuel.

I don't think it would knacker the engine, but for heavy right footage use Super.

I went back to NUL for a couple of tanks, and it didnt feel to good, but that could be me just be finicky.

Phoning round for quotes next week.

I only got the video camera a couple of days ago, so i will have ago sometime this week.

I live very close to Bolton where Warrender is based, i will pop in and see them. If they have one and you intrested i could meet up and i can have a good look round.

When looking for one, history, race wear, and the above Recaros etc are the important stuff, there was quite a few variants with the spec some had no ABS or A/C but all the other goodies, some have the bog std seats.

Its a Honda, so the engine will be sound, as long as the oil change is done.

Old 02 January 2002, 04:57 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I had a 1.6 VTI for about 6 months - Feckin fantastic great car in many ways! 1.6 revs harder than the 1.8VTI

Had it off the clock and @ 8K revs in 5th racing (and beating) an Intergrale! est. speed (based on rpm) around 145-150mph, not many 1.6 cars will touch that in std trim.

Great handling + built to last and one real bonus was that it looked quite annonymous, just like a lot of 4dr cars so less potential for damage, thieft or plod.

engines go on for ever as long as serviced, the variable valve timing is simple and and basic but works sooo well, nothing really to go wrong there!

Great cars, good value for money real giant killers!

Paul
Old 03 January 2002, 10:42 AM
lpitt
Scooby Regular

Talking

If it's any help I've got an MY02 CTR in Silver. My current insurance company is ripping me off really badly at £920 considering that they only charged me £790 for my Scooby including full exhaust, induction, wheels and exterior mods. Thing is that they've decided it's a Group 18 where most others have it at a 16/17.

Other than that I'm really pleased with it. I bought in silver as it's a bit more subtle and had the in-dash changer as an option.

Very, very pleased.

Laurence