Notices
Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

My First WRX 03... (Help required too)

Search this Thread

Old 24 July 2008, 08:16 PM
stolen_monkey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My First WRX 03... (Help required too)

Howdo.
Total new to scoob ownership, so got a few questions. I've not touched it (apart from starting to remove the boot badges..) and its got a few non-standard bits on it... but have a look and see if you can help:

I've got receipts for the splitter - is it an STI one? It doesn't say on my paperwork, but it does say that its a genuine part.

Stainless cat back & another splitter. The exhaust isn't documented, but the splitter was done the same time as the front.

The lip spoiler on the back window cost £300! crazy. Again, it shows as a genuine part.. do STI's have these? - total noob as I've said already.

Clean as a whistle under there. doesn't look like there have been any engine mods. - although it could have been remapped...

Anyway, I love the car. Its a superb colour, which when caught in the sun, has a gold tint.

- It needs a service, but I am going to get the oil and filter myself. Any recommendations in this area? I.E, what type of oil, how much (in terms of Litres) and any special requirements on the filter? For info, it is just 48k on the clock.

- The brakes are pathetic. I knew they were suspect when I bought it and have set money aside to remedy. Have a look at the front:

The discs are all like this.

The driver side caliper is either rusty or burnt! The car has only done 5k in the last year, so thought they needed a blast. I worked them and worked them, but they are still the same. I thought they were going to set on fire when I stopped!

As mentioned, the backs are the same.

Anyway, I would like them replacing. Its my every day commuter so I don't need a porsche upgrade, but could you advise what to get and from where? I've had a look on ebay for some (have paypal funds so would be easier) but a bit unsure what will fit. Does mine have 4 pot calipers?

Any advice is much appreciated.
Monkey.
Old 24 July 2008, 10:53 PM
DB07P1
Scooby Regular

the brakes look like 4 pots to me...if thats the case i would maybe think about grooved disks and new pads ....then just refurb the calipers bit of paint etc..that should make u stop much better!
welcome to scooby ownership
Old 24 July 2008, 11:12 PM
stolen_monkey
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate. I think I'll take your advice and get the discs sorted.

May start thinking about making her look a bit like this...
I know what the wheels are, but I wonder how low this is..

Old 25 July 2008, 12:49 AM
mr blobeye
Scooby Newbie

Default new scoob!

Welcome to the world of empty pockets!!

I'm fairly new to the scoob thing myself (well for second time)

I have the same car as you (good choice!)and think you have to settle to the conclusion that the standard brakes are poo with standard discs and pads.
Several recommendations to change the discs, braided lines, 5.1 fluid and ferodo ds2500 pads but if your doing that lot my view was upgrade calipers too. STi brembo's i think are the most economical option as it's larger diammeter discs and bigger caliper so bigger contact area plus better cooling.
Had this dilema and still thinking about AP calipers but bit too much cash for me @ moment so having 08 STi all round fitted on tuesday, same as the set on ebay (finish tomorrow i think) full set of 08'sti @ £560 currently. thats cheap!
And get rid of them cats hiding everywhere in your pipework, it can't breath properly!!
Have fun.

Anyway keep diggin deep
Old 25 July 2008, 01:24 AM
escott
Scooby Regular

Check the group buy section, Ian Godney is doing grooved disks and mintex or ferodo pads for decent money. That will make a difference without having to change the calipers.
Old 25 July 2008, 05:45 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

Nice looking car mate! Any larger pics? I can't quite see the additions to the rear bumper.

Has it been lowered? It looks lower than mine.

I've changed the front 4-pots for the K-Sport 8-pots, they are far better. Apex are thinking about doing another group buy too so i'd check that out (group buy section). They will fit under your standard wheels too but the Brembos wouldn't.

Get some flaps on it and detango the front lights