Notices
Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

Great results of a full detail

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2006, 06:24 PM
paulthejambo
Scooby Regular

Location: Heart of Midlothian FC aka Hearts have the nickname "The Jambo's" - therefore I'm a Jambo too.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great results of a full detail

I went to see Iain at Finer Details yesterday to have my MY00 detailed and protected for the winter months. Iain had already previewed the car a couple of weeks ago, and we'd had the opportunity to have a chat regarding how it could be improved.

There are no "before" shots I'm afraid as it was absolutely bouncing it down in the morning when I arrived.

So Iain got started:
Two bucket wash. Rinsed it down, then using the karcher for lube spray, Pinnacle Poly Clay and gave it a good surface clean.

Now that the engine bay had cooled, Iain covered the alternator and gave the whole area a light spray over, then applied Poorboys APC, gave it a good scrubbing, and rinsed off.

Once dried we taped using the 3m tape, set the kit up and took the PDG readings:

A real mixed bag of readings around the car, with the bonnet reading between 65 and 105 microns, half the O/S readings were standard, and the rest showing it's blow-over depths...

Here's some of the swirled shots and halograms (pic 3):

First up was the Porter Cable, a wolfgang polishing pad and Megs Speed Glaze.

Here's the half & half shots:

Iain then followed the megs #80 up with the PC and a finishing pad with Clearkote Red moose glaze. This was then topped with DP Premium Paint Shield Sealant and left to cure.

Whilst the original panels were curing, Iain moved to the Metabo, a polishing pad and Pinnacle Swirl Remover. Worked the rest of the car, and then followed with Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish and a finishing pad. This too was topped with the RMG, and the DP sealant. Whilst the whole car cured Iain applied Megs #20 polymer sealant to the alloys, and NXT metal paste to the exhaust tip.

Cleaned the windows with Stoners, Poorboys Bold n Brite in arches and the engine bay, Armor All Tyre Shine to the treads.

Last stage was DP Max wax, applied using a foam applicator and left to cure for 10 mins. Iain then wiped clear with a Poorboys Ultra Plush MF. A final wipe down with Pinnacle Crystal Mist, and the detail was complete.

Some inital out of the garage shots:

Whilst we still had some daylight, we took the opportunity to get some pictures:

Some close up shots:

I'm seriously happy with the results and will probably return for a top up in the Spring. Iain really knows how to get the best from the products he uses and I would be happy to recommend him to anyone.

Regards,
Paul
Old 26 November 2006, 06:50 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

That looks really really good. I have seen some of FD's work on the meguiars forum. There work it really good from what I have see and they also like to to 50/50 pics.
Old 26 November 2006, 07:02 PM
CRAIGFIN
Scooby Regular

What would something like that cost?
Old 26 November 2006, 08:38 PM
wilb
Scooby Regular

I always like the cleaning threads. Wish I could be bothered to do all that! It takes me too long as it is to clean my car, my Mrs always takes the mick out of my 'pre-wash wash'
Ditto the price question. I'd like the swirls removing too.
Old 26 November 2006, 09:25 PM
killa
Scooby Regular

Very good job on that, clean....
Old 26 November 2006, 09:36 PM
scoobchrissy
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by CRAIGFIN
What would something like that cost?
I'm lazy
Old 26 November 2006, 09:39 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

love that colour
Old 26 November 2006, 09:44 PM
paulthejambo
Scooby Regular

Location: Heart of Midlothian FC aka Hearts have the nickname "The Jambo's" - therefore I'm a Jambo too.

Referring to price, I guess every car is different. As you can see from the PDG readings we took at the consultation phase, my car's paint depth varied wildly so it made it difficult for Iain to get into a routine. Each area had to be treated differently and therefore took a bit longer.

Best thing to do I guess is have a look at his website and contact him directly for a price:

Welcome to Finer Details Ltd
Old 26 November 2006, 09:50 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by paulthejambo
I went to see Iain at Finer Details yesterday to have my MY00 detailed and protected for the winter months. Iain had already previewed the car a couple of weeks ago, and we'd had the opportunity to have a chat regarding how it could be improved.

There are no "before" shots I'm afraid as it was absolutely bouncing it down in the morning when I arrived.

So Iain got started:
Two bucket wash. Rinsed it down, then using the karcher for lube spray, Pinnacle Poly Clay and gave it a good surface clean.

Now that the engine bay had cooled, Iain covered the alternator and gave the whole area a light spray over, then applied Poorboys APC, gave it a good scrubbing, and rinsed off.

Once dried we taped using the 3m tape, set the kit up and took the PDG readings:

A real mixed bag of readings around the car, with the bonnet reading between 65 and 105 microns, half the O/S readings were standard, and the rest showing it's blow-over depths...

Here's some of the swirled shots and halograms (pic 3):

First up was the Porter Cable, a wolfgang polishing pad and Megs Speed Glaze.

Here's the half & half shots:

Iain then followed the megs #80 up with the PC and a finishing pad with Clearkote Red moose glaze. This was then topped with DP Premium Paint Shield Sealant and left to cure.

Whilst the original panels were curing, Iain moved to the Metabo, a polishing pad and Pinnacle Swirl Remover. Worked the rest of the car, and then followed with Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish and a finishing pad. This too was topped with the RMG, and the DP sealant. Whilst the whole car cured Iain applied Megs #20 polymer sealant to the alloys, and NXT metal paste to the exhaust tip.

Cleaned the windows with Stoners, Poorboys Bold n Brite in arches and the engine bay, Armor All Tyre Shine to the treads.

Last stage was DP Max wax, applied using a foam applicator and left to cure for 10 mins. Iain then wiped clear with a Poorboys Ultra Plush MF. A final wipe down with Pinnacle Crystal Mist, and the detail was complete.

Some inital out of the garage shots:

Whilst we still had some daylight, we took the opportunity to get some pictures:

Some close up shots:

I'm seriously happy with the results and will probably return for a top up in the Spring. Iain really knows how to get the best from the products he uses and I would be happy to recommend him to anyone.

Regards,
Paul
car looks sweet mate, wheres the company based
Old 26 November 2006, 10:05 PM
paulthejambo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by powerwrx
car looks sweet mate, wheres the company based
Rochdale, not too far from Carcraft.

Piece of p!55 to find from the M62. Iain will send you maps once you make a booking!!
Old 26 November 2006, 10:09 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

cheers mate im not far from there so i mite give him a try.
Old 26 November 2006, 10:20 PM
COLZO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stunning mate. Stay away from the gritters in the next few months!
Old 27 November 2006, 12:15 AM
speedymonkey
Scooby Regular

Location: On the PC, sipping a beer and listing to old skool choons :)

Lookin sweet paul
Gonna be gleaming next to mine at the next meet
Am goin to have to give mine a wash me thinks as its still filthy from the last run out
Off topic - Adam is fitting a decat downpipe on my classic on tuesday, can wait to see if it feels/sounds any different, roll on the next meet
Old 27 November 2006, 07:26 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

what sort of cost are you looking at for all that to be done?

andy
Old 27 November 2006, 07:47 AM
DJ Vinyl Ritchie
BANNED

Superb job there Paul, great results

DJ Vinyl Ritchie..... I once took my X5 to a detailer, only to find he was 4ft 6 and built like an oompa loompa. He did the wheels and I left. Moral of the story is - always check your detailer is fit for the job
Old 03 December 2006, 08:12 PM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD

WOW big diffrence there m8 - only just seen this

How long did it take him
Old 05 December 2006, 05:05 PM
AFRIKANZ
Scooby Regular

Very, very clean, nice car