Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

My Dad's Classic UK Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 26 August 2006, 12:05 AM
ewan_bcfc
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Dad's Classic UK Turbo

As title, a 1998 UK model Subaru Impreza Turbo 2000 AWD, just thought I'd share it with you.

He's had it for 5 years now, I think, and its on 85,000 miles.

He says he wants to keep it standard now its a classic, but I reckon he could do with clearing the orange bits just to bring the front up to date.
Old 26 August 2006, 12:15 AM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Does make it look cleaner but your dad has a good point. Very few cars that you see 100% standard these days. Does he still have the small exhaust?

BCFC? Bradford/ Birmingham or another?
Old 26 August 2006, 12:46 AM
ewan_bcfc
Scooby Newbie

Yeh he does make a good point.

It does have the small twin pipe exit, as per:

BCFC = the mighty Bristol City Football Club, currently 20th in the old 3rd division and already out of the Carling Cup.
Old 26 August 2006, 12:55 AM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Dads are always right. Thats there job and they're good at it so I'm told.

Does look a good unabused example. Buyers look (and pay a premium) for totally standard examples. Plus you don't want him spending all your inheritance on aftermarket goodies........saying that you get the car!

Ah Bristol City............getting knocked out of the cup aint that bad. Gives you a chance to concentrate on the league
Old 26 August 2006, 01:29 AM
ewan_bcfc
Scooby Newbie

It is pretty clean inside and out, although ideally it could do with resprayed front and rear bumpers and possibly the bonnet too.

The problem is its starting to make some strange noises so we're a little worried how much longer it will last.

As for City, you can watch them outplay then probably lose to Northampton Town next tuesday on Sky.
Old 26 August 2006, 01:38 PM
gaz-cole
Scooby Regular

your dad has a nice motor mate
Old 26 August 2006, 02:18 PM
Harty2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ewan_bcfc
It is pretty clean inside and out, although ideally it could do with resprayed front and rear bumpers and possibly the bonnet too.

The problem is its starting to make some strange noises so we're a little worried how much longer it will last.

As for City, you can watch them outplay then probably lose to Northampton Town next tuesday on Sky.
What kind of strange noises?
Old 26 August 2006, 04:34 PM
ewan_bcfc
Scooby Newbie

When going around tight right hand bends and small roundabouts the nearside rear wheel makes a fairly loud rubbing noise, which we think may possibly have something to do with the handbrake, and there is an occasional clunking noise from around the rear axle area. (that's just off the top of my head right now)

I haven't been out in it for a bit, but I will probably come and ask you good people when we next find a strange noise.

Cheers for the comments, I'll pass them along.
Old 26 August 2006, 04:52 PM
scoobmeister
Scooby Regular

Tell your dad to keep it as it is, standard classics are becomong rare now!
Its a very nice car!
Old 26 August 2006, 11:06 PM
ewan_bcfc
Scooby Newbie

I'll let him know.

He loves it to bits. He says the newer ones are too over-soundproofed and refined which is why he still has it and isn't even considering swapping for a newer model.
Old 27 August 2006, 09:38 PM
peter_l
BANNED

Nice one, im a big fan of the classic scoob.
Old 28 August 2006, 08:02 PM
Nido
Scooby Regular

Default Year..

Is it not '99 as it has reflector lights / tango bits etc

My '98 was the same colour but without the tango bumber etc. I kept it std too apart from some clear indicators. Get your Dad to fit some! They make such a difference to the look of the side of the car (mainly the side repeater is a lot less noticeable). The std ones really stick out with that colour.

Dead easy to fit, and you can obviously keep the std ones for re-fitting at a later date if desired. Think they were about 60 quid?

Got to pass Bristol soon to go down the M5 - is that stupidly long contra-flow finished yet
Old 28 August 2006, 08:06 PM
Curtiz
Scooby Regular

lovely car, very clean and unabused looking example! really fond of this, tell ur dad to keep it standard mate
Old 28 August 2006, 10:43 PM
ewan_bcfc
Scooby Newbie

I'm not sure exactly what year it is, its S-reg so I assumed '98

Pretty sure he will keep it standard, bizarrely its more unique like that. The orange does make it look like a true olde-worlde classic. Wheels need a good refurb too.

Originally Posted by Nido
Got to pass Bristol soon to go down the M5 - is that stupidly long contra-flow finished yet
Yeh that's finished now, and there's a loverly 4 lane section which causes a right mess when it turns back to 3 and no-one knows where they should be.
Old 29 August 2006, 09:38 PM
paulthejambo
Scooby Regular

Location: Heart of Midlothian FC aka Hearts have the nickname "The Jambo's" - therefore I'm a Jambo too.

That looks like a seriously tidy car.

Mine was standard except for an ECU swap and a back box when I bought it. That's why I was attracted to it - unabused (relatively) and paid a little bit extra than I might have.

I've gone for the crystal option on the front end, as well as colour coding the vents under the indicators.

I had to change the alloys as the originals were kerbed and had hideous stains from some form of cleaning acid. I think the new ones just finish the car off nicely, as they are not too far off the original design (just my opinion, of course).

Visually, I have no intention of doing anymore to it apart from a full detail to get the swirl marks out of the paint thanks to the previous owner.

The knocking noises at the back could be the bushes in the drop links. I will be replacing my anti-rollbar, drop links and bushes with some goodies from Whiteline shortly as mine appears to have the same symptoms. The other day I had it on the 4 post ramp I'm lucky to have access to and I could replicate the clunk by grabbing the ARB near the droplink.

The rubbing noise could be the tyre making contact on the rubber strip that covers the join between the inner and outer rear arches. I know I've got 18's but with the elastic band tyres, they are only a few mm different diameter to the original alloys. Perhaps if the car is running on the original suspension (as mine is) and has done 85,000 miles, the dampers etc might be getting a bit tired and could do with being replaced (next on my list!). I only have this problem when there are others in the car.

I'm not a mechanic and I might be way off the mark, but it's just so similar to what I'm experiencing, I thought I'd add my two cents!

Regards,
Paul

P.s I support Heart of Midlothian F.C aka Hearts or The Jambo's so I fully understand the rollercoaster of supporting a team whose performance can vary from subliminal to criminal on a weekly basis!!
Old 29 August 2006, 09:47 PM
paulthejambo
Scooby Regular

Location: Heart of Midlothian FC aka Hearts have the nickname "The Jambo's" - therefore I'm a Jambo too.

And spookily enough, I've just noticed that your Dad's car has Tiley of Bristol reg plates. I have several receipts from that very garage in my car's paperwork!! Small world!
Old 30 August 2006, 12:24 PM
ewan_bcfc
Scooby Newbie

I like that ^^ Looks very clean and tidy. I still think I prefer the look of the entirely standard classic, complete with plenty of orange and balloon tyres.

Thanks for the info about the noises, I'll pass it on and see if we can get them sorted. I did wonder if it was something like the ARB moving about slightly. I had a quick peek under the car on the drive and there's a lot of very rusty metal under there. My dad does reckon the dampers need replacing as well, so that's already on his to-do list.

Strange about the Tiley's of Bristol connection. Our car was bought there and has been taken there for every service.

Oh, and City won yesterday!! After going down to 10 men!! Due to two of our defenders fighting each other
Old 30 August 2006, 12:48 PM
Nido
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ewan_bcfc
Oh, and City won yesterday!! After going down to 10 men!! Due to two of our defenders fighting each other
That'll be reminding me of Bristol

Used to live near the City ground and it was a fuggin nightmare sometimes. A small percentage of the fans seemed to have to mentality "Oh, we've lost, let's get really pis#sed and smash in somebody / something"

Edited to add that asides from the above Bristol is one of the best nights out in the UK

Last edited by Nido; 30 August 2006 at 12:51 PM.