Notices
Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

what pixel format is best to post pics?

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2004, 10:16 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gonna try and get some pics up tomorrow and have just got my first digi camera today, lots of confusing pixel settings on it, does it matter what format they're taken in/posted?

cheers
Old 30 January 2004, 10:17 PM
ianmiller999
Scooby Regular

Probably best to take them in standard format and reduce them to a maximum width of 800 pixels using Mihov Image resizer. Mihov is free do a search on google.
Old 30 January 2004, 10:27 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

cheers mate, sounds like you know a bit so if you don't mind telling me what's best out of this lot for posting :-

640x480 normal
640x480 high quality
1280x960 hq
1280x960 shq
1280x960 shq-tiff

ta
Old 30 January 2004, 10:31 PM
ianmiller999
Scooby Regular

the 640 x 480 as it will fit in the screen. So you will be able to see the whole image. Not sure about what quality but idealy you want the image to be less then or around 120kb or else it will take to long to load photos.

What camera you got how many megapixels?
Old 30 January 2004, 10:35 PM
The_Lizard
Scooby Regular

True, the smaller the image, the easier it is to transmit and display. You've probably seen some posts with large images here; as a result of the pic size, you need to scroll sideways to see the whole thing, and all the text in the thread, since all the lines extend as far as the widest image in the thread.

Sometimes you see a dead link in a thread because the hosting site has reached its bandwidth limit. 800x600 is a reasonable size, but consider 640x480 as something easier to handle.

(I don't know if this is your first digital camera) You don't have to select these settings with the camera itself, you can capture and save the image, then "save as" under another name at another size. In case you didn't already know, the .jpg or .jpeg format loses some clarity every time you save the image.

(Odd thing is, that format was invented at CompuServe here in Columbus, approximately 500 meteres away from me as I type.)
Old 30 January 2004, 10:38 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

olympus c-960 zoom, 1.3 megapixel.
nothing special, but i'm well chuffed, bought it on ebay with a 64 meg card and have been taking pics of anything all day

hope it doesn't rain tomorrow
Old 30 January 2004, 10:43 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

cheers lizard, does that mean it's better to take the pic i'm after in 640x480 setting on the camera so i don't lose clarity mucking around with it later?

as you may have guessed i've had the camera for one whole day! and i'm not that clued up with computers either

cheers for the advice mate
Old 30 January 2004, 11:03 PM
The_Lizard
Scooby Regular

Hos -

Go ahead and take the picture at the larger size, and save it to your computer. Done. Then if you wish, you can open it, reduce the size, and save it under a different name (for example instead of DSCF0091.jpg you could name it neighbors_cat_scratching_my_bonnet.jpg)

I suggest that you establish directories on your computer to store the images you capture, and establish sub-directories for particular subjects and/or dates. This will help you find images you may want to retrieve later.

For example, on my machine, I have Images>Parks>Park_name_>date(s) so if I want to find an image I took in a particular park on a particular day, I can easily find the directory and browse for the image.

You might consider investing in a card reader that can plug into a USB port on your computer, and accept the card from your camera. Then you don't need to deplete your camera batteries when you load pictures, it's all powered from your computer. Also, the reader gets a logical drive label (such as (F and it behaves like a diskette drive, with the card being analogous to a diskette; you can store more than images on it. I have used my camera to carry document files to and from the office.

Old 30 January 2004, 11:05 PM
The_Lizard
Scooby Regular

OK, that's amusing, I typed f: ) without the space and got the smiley.

Old 30 January 2004, 11:16 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

******* hell lizard you've confused the **** out of me! got really lost on the last bit

i can just about turn the computer on, let alone make sub-directorys etc. (like i even know what that means!)

i got a card reader with the camera luckily, i'm just having a few probs getting it to work with my computer but my mates coming round tomorrow to sort it hopefully. fingers crossed the car will be posted soon
Old 30 January 2004, 11:23 PM
The_Lizard
Scooby Regular

Then I suppose I'm showing my age; I used to make subdirectories at a DOS command prompt in the days before Windows or Macintosh.

C:\> mkdir parks

C:\PARKS> mkdir parkname

C:>\PARKS/PARKNAME>

Ah, but that is all lost knowledge now.

Just don't ever do

C:\> era *.*

Old 30 January 2004, 11:29 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

sorry mate, wasn't taking the ****, it's just anything more than 'switch on computer,fire up internet, look for ****' is a foreign language to me

i'll have a go though, so hopefully some decent pics will come thru, cheers for your help
Old 31 January 2004, 12:49 AM
The_Lizard
Scooby Regular

Live and Learn, brother, the more you work with it, the more your knowedge will increase. Best wishes to you.