Spec C 2009 - Sunrise Yellow - NY59 TSX

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2022, 12:39 PM
GingeySpecC
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Post Spec C 2009 - Sunrise Yellow - NY59 TSX

Picking up my Impreza STI Spec C Hatch in Sunrise Yellow tomorrow from the lovely chaps at Torque GT.

I'll will be using this thread to post any questions I may have under my ownership, maybe the occasional photo on my travels and for the future owners to look back at its history

To say I'm excited is an understatement. Don't think I'll sleep a wink tonight

The following 9 users liked this post by GingeySpecC:
86B, Andycat, Dave Y, fpan, Gambit, Henrik, johno01, ricodjs, trails and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01 December 2022, 09:52 AM
JIMBOW
Scooby Newbie

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

congrats. lovely car, have looked over their advert a few times. looking forward to your updates
The following users liked this post:
Old 02 December 2022, 02:05 PM
GingeySpecC
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Here it is!

Over the moon with it.

Really surprised me the way it drives, didn't expect it to be so engaging with the short gear throws, how it handles itself down the road etc. You can really feel that diff pull you, its amazing but also a little terrifying haha!
In my head I was expecting it to be very similar to the Evo IX GT, but I think this actually trumps it.
It's crazy really as there is only 3 years between them both, yet this feels so much more modern but doesn't take away that raw driving experience that a lot of newer performance cars seem to lack.
Very happy.

Here's the first fuel stop on the way home, I'm sure this will be a regular thing

I do actually have a few questions if anyone can help me out.

So if you're not away its got Tein Suspension fitted with the fancy EDFC. Now Torque GT told me the previous owner (who I've spoke too) had it set up for basically a Fast Road setting.
Front 12 12 & Rear 12 12 settings were a happy middle ground supposedly. I've not fully looked into this system yet, but I noticed it was always adjusting on the way home (and makes a really annoying little bleep everytime it does). Mainly going down rather than up.

If anyone knows what's best or where to go to get it "properly" set up, please let me know.

Next questions, what OEM looking headunits have you all fitted?
It's got a Japanese headunit in it and all the lady does it randomly shout at me lol. I managed to connect my Bluetooth, god knows how. It's okay when it first connects, but if you turn the car off and get back in the music starts to skip.

Finally, I was told by the previous owners that when they sold the car to Torque GT they never removed the Decat downpipe as that's what it was mapped for, however Torque GT supposedly asked for the Standard Downpipe back and I'm a little concerned that they did refit it to pass their MOT on it. They told me they never did swap it, but I've got my doubts, main reason as I wouldn't want it to upset the map and cause problems for the engine.
The car has got a Cat-back Milltek system on it, so it's fairly loud on boost, but quite refined and comfortable when you're not on it. I was expecting it to sound loud all the time no matter what. When I floor it too, I get some sort of odor smell, not petrol as if it was Decat, but a tangy scent. It's difficult to describe. Almost like the standard cat has gone back in and its burning off? I'm not too sure, unless these are smelly engines when they've been mapped etc lol I'll get one of the mechanics at my work to put her on a ramp and I'll have a look underneath to see the downpipe. I did try and have a nose yesterday when I collected it, but couldn't see very well.

Thanks in advance to any suggestions or help!
The following 3 users liked this post by GingeySpecC:
Old 02 December 2022, 02:15 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Received 670 Likes on 519 Posts

Can’t help with the questions sorry but the car looks bloody good!! 👌👍
Old 02 December 2022, 03:01 PM
GingeySpecC
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by GingeySpecC
Finally, I was told by the previous owners that when they sold the car to Torque GT they never removed the Decat downpipe as that's what it was mapped for, however Torque GT supposedly asked for the Standard Downpipe back and I'm a little concerned that they did refit it to pass their MOT on it. They told me they never did swap it, but I've got my doubts, main reason as I wouldn't want it to upset the map and cause problems for the engine.
The car has got a Cat-back Milltek system on it, so it's fairly loud on boost, but quite refined and comfortable when you're not on it. I was expecting it to sound loud all the time no matter what. When I floor it too, I get some sort of odor smell, not petrol as if it was Decat, but a tangy scent. It's difficult to describe. Almost like the standard cat has gone back in and its burning off? I'm not too sure, unless these are smelly engines when they've been mapped etc lol I'll get one of the mechanics at my work to put her on a ramp and I'll have a look underneath to see the downpipe. I did try and have a nose yesterday when I collected it, but couldn't see very well.
Panic over, it's got the Decat on it. Mate in work just checked it over for me. Smell is running slightly rich from the map. Thought I would have got that having a few cars that ran rich, but never smelt like that. Boxer life lol?
Old 02 December 2022, 03:45 PM
pwbchris
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

damn! that is a real beauty. LOVE the colour.
Old 02 December 2022, 06:00 PM
forgedmarco
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I’ve got a Chinese android unit coming in a week or so, I’ll let you know what it’s like when it arrives. Car looks lovely.
Old 02 December 2022, 06:30 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Atoto of amazon excellent bit of kit. You can run BTSSM on it too.
Old 02 December 2022, 06:54 PM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts

nice car R205 in that colour for me

Originally Posted by 1509joe
Atoto of amazon excellent bit of kit. You can run BTSSM on it too.
🤣excellent with 1000x600 screen resolution and terrible sound it provides

Last edited by JdmSti2006; 02 December 2022 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02 December 2022, 07:04 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by JdmSti2006
nice car R205 in that colour for me

🤣excellent with 1000x600 screen resolution and terrible sound it provides
You need new speakers then cause the sound is excellent.
Old 11 December 2022, 02:18 PM
joelle king
BANNED

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

giving me the bumble bee vibes ! looking great

Last edited by joelle king; 12 December 2022 at 08:33 AM.
Old 12 December 2022, 10:04 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I have Chinese android units in both Impreza and Evo. Not the first word in audio refinement but being Android is the most useful aspect.

Of the two, the one in the Evo can be fussy connecting to my phones hotspot. Not sure why.
Old 13 December 2022, 08:47 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Panic over, it's got the Decat on it. Mate in work just checked it over for me. Smell is running slightly rich from the map. Thought I would have got that having a few cars that ran rich, but never smelt like that. Boxer life lol?
So how did they MOT it? Sounds similar to my Spec C which had no functional dipped beams after they "MOT"ed it.
Old 20 March 2023, 01:24 PM
GingeySpecC
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Hi all!

Thought I'd update you all after nearly 4 months of ownership and the first 1000 miles down!

I'm enjoying it so far, have booked a track day at the start of June to give her a run out, however I do still have a few niggles with it that were/are slightly annoying.
  • I had to change all 4 plugs as spark plug number 3 had burnt out and was causing a slight miss fire when pulling off from cold and pulling. All sorted now.
  • Still getting this strange odour smell after blipping, I cant describe the smell. I know it isn't fuel or unburnt fuel. I've been reading a few things that oil can leak onto the exhaust. But I'm not getting any drips on my driveway. I have been told it can be headgasket seal. It's going into the garage I use next week as he's owned multiple Impreza's and really knows his stuff.
  • I'm getting a slight rattle on deceleration and lower rpm in all gears, it disappears when I dip the clutch. Torque GT told me it was just the noise the clutch made, but I've recently started to doubt everything they've previously said about it. I have read it can be the downpipe heatshield rattling. Again, garage is sorting it for me this week.
  • What will stop the gearstick from making a vibration/rattle in higher rpms from 3 gear onwards. Again, I have seen this can be the aluminium ring surround on the shifter to engage reverse. Some people say its the bushings themselves. If it was the surround, how would you solve this?
  • Final thing, something I'm quite shocked and appalled at from Torque GT's pre-sale "health" checks is that the ORIGINAL timing belt is still on the vehicle even though its been stickered on import to say it was changed. So that's being sorted ASAP too.
Hopefully all these niggles will be sorted before Summer hooning season.
Old 20 March 2023, 04:01 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

Components of the Hatch 6MT shifter
Item 4 being the "Slider **** - gear shift" for reverse gear

The actual lever (19) has, on the area where the slider **** sits/slides, a plastic shink fit sleeve as shown below,
However taking the slider off requires removing the shifter cable (23) holding roll pin (5), which can be tricky getting back in place.

Always worth checking the condition of the various linkage bushes - "Stockcar" can supply replacements.
Old 20 March 2023, 06:26 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

I'd say the vibration through the gear stick is normal and due to the stiffer bushing of the spec C. Mine's always done it from 19500 miles, now 60 something.
The following 2 users liked this post by hedgecutter:
Old 20 March 2023, 10:06 PM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Perrin reverse lockout lever could be solution for rattle
common with garages ,service stamp for nothing

Old 21 March 2023, 06:43 PM
GingeySpecC
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Hi all!

Thought I'd update you all after nearly 4 months of ownership and the first 1000 miles down!

I'm enjoying it so far, have booked a track day at the start of June to give her a run out, however I do still have a few niggles with it that were/are slightly annoying.
  • I had to change all 4 plugs as spark plug number 3 had burnt out and was causing a slight miss fire when pulling off from cold and pulling. All sorted now.
  • Still getting this strange odour smell after blipping, I cant describe the smell. I know it isn't fuel or unburnt fuel. I've been reading a few things that oil can leak onto the exhaust. But I'm not getting any drips on my driveway. I have been told it can be headgasket seal. It's going into the garage I use next week as he's owned multiple Impreza's and really knows his stuff.
  • I'm getting a slight rattle on deceleration and lower rpm in all gears, it disappears when I dip the clutch. Torque GT told me it was just the noise the clutch made, but I've recently started to doubt everything they've previously said about it. I have read it can be the downpipe heatshield rattling. Again, garage is sorting it for me this week.
  • What will stop the gearstick from making a vibration/rattle in higher rpms from 3 gear onwards. Again, I have seen this can be the aluminium ring surround on the shifter to engage reverse. Some people say its the bushings themselves. If it was the surround, how would you solve this?
  • Final thing, something I'm quite shocked and appalled at from Torque GT's pre-sale "health" checks is that the ORIGINAL timing belt is still on the vehicle even though its been stickered on import to say it was changed. So that's being sorted ASAP too.
Hopefully all these niggles will be sorted before Summer hooning season.
Another thing I forgot to mention. Before I had the plugs changed my car didn't like low rpm's when cold in 1st and 2nd gear. When it warmed up it was absolutely fine. I thought having the plugs change would fix this due to the one plug being blown, however I still get this jerkiness when pulling off in 1st & 2nd when cold. Could this be a coilpack? Or is it normal for boxer engines to do this when cold?
Old 21 March 2023, 07:14 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

I'd say it's more likely to be map related that issue
Old 23 March 2023, 02:30 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

Another thing I forgot to mention. Before I had the plugs changed my car didn't like low rpm's when cold in 1st and 2nd gear. When it warmed up it was absolutely fine. I thought having the plugs change would fix this due to the one plug being blown, however I still get this jerkiness when pulling off in 1st & 2nd when cold. Could this be a coilpack? Or is it normal for boxer engines to do this when cold?
that's the renown GR stumble, it's part of the design
My 20th anniversary did it as well.
There's plenty of info especially in NASIOC on what you can do to minimise it, whether it's worth it is another story. I've learnt to live with it.
Old 24 March 2023, 09:17 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Mine is a bit jerky for the first 2 minutes in 1st down the track, but the secondary air pump has been removed which may influence this.
GR stumble isnt in 1st/2nd at start up really; it's pushing on in too low a gear at speed, rather than dropping a cog, normally apparent at around 3000rpm
Old 24 March 2023, 08:23 PM
GingeySpecC
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

How often does yours do it?

I've been daily driving it this week to see if it happens in other gears and a different rpm's.

I've found it can happen in 3rd and 4th but when the revs are around 3000rpm. But bear in mind I'm doing 40ish mph. I'd be surprised if it was the gear ratio?

My car is mapped in the 3 different SI-Drive modes, it can be quite lethargic and jumpy in Intelligent mode in all gears and lower rpm...
Sport is what I mostly drive it in, but again that can be jerky in 1st, 2nd and 3rd from 0mph all the way to 30mph.

I'm thinking it might be the map, its mapped by Andy Carr. I've read mixed things about his mapping.

I'm not sure what step is next to take to eliminate it?
Old 25 March 2023, 10:58 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

I may be barking up the wrong tree, but don't mappers generally concentrate on pulls in higher gears, and wouldn't that be to the detriment of the map in 1st, 2nd and 3rd?
The stumble is apparently caused by a damper oscillation in the fuel line, occurs at around 2800/3000rpm when, for example, you are tootling along at 50 in 5th, and you accelerate reasonably hard without dropping a gear. It's common in remapped hatches and either requires more detailed mapping than most mappers are prepared to give, or an anti stumble kit which essentially reverts to the Hawk fuel dampers. It's definitely a little momentary stutter or stumble. Possibly parallel rails may cure it, but it is simple to drive around.
Jerkyness when cold I would simply put down to, well, the engine being cold, on mine at least.
Old 25 March 2023, 11:05 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

have driven many (mainly JDM variants) that have a Cold Start "stumble" and appears to be nothing more than an over rich initial map

if it disappears after a short while then its not something I would worry about
Old 25 March 2023, 11:12 AM
GingeySpecC
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
I may be barking up the wrong tree, but don't mappers generally concentrate on pulls in higher gears, and wouldn't that be to the detriment of the map in 1st, 2nd and 3rd?
The stumble is apparently caused by a damper oscillation in the fuel line, occurs at around 2800/3000rpm when, for example, you are tootling along at 50 in 5th, and you accelerate reasonably hard without dropping a gear. It's common in remapped hatches and either requires more detailed mapping than most mappers are prepared to give, or an anti stumble kit which essentially reverts to the Hawk fuel dampers. It's definitely a little momentary stutter or stumble. Possibly parallel rails may cure it, but it is simple to drive around.
Jerkyness when cold I would simply put down to, well, the engine being cold, on mine at least.
Thank you for that mate! The RPM range is bang on when it happens, its not to much a jerk, its like you said a stumble! I think its just something I'm going to have to live with!
Old 25 March 2023, 11:13 AM
GingeySpecC
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by stockcar
have driven many (mainly JDM variants) that have a Cold Start "stumble" and appears to be nothing more than an over rich initial map

if it disappears after a short while then its not something I would worry about
Yeah I think the map is a little rich, but its better than being lean haha!

Thank you mate, I appreciate the help!
Old 10 April 2023, 03:07 PM
GingeySpecC
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Thought I'd give everyone an update on Easter Bank holiday Monday!

My car is booked in with Tony at TDR for the middle of May.
It's having a Full Service with all fluids and Subaru timing belt changed. He's going to Dyno Health Check it too, they said they'd tweak the map if needed.
Hopefully that little stumble/stutter I've been experiencing when cold is absolutely nothing and I'm just overthinking it (more than likely lol).

I'm also going to order new discs and pads ready for my track day booked at Llandow on the 3rd of June.
Any recommendations for fast road brake discs and pads? Don't want to go overkill as this will be my first time on track so I'm not going to try be a hero.

It's then booked in for the end of June to have a Stage 1 Paint Correction with 1 Year Ceramic coating and a 5 Year alloy coating.

Here's some photos I took back in December, shortly after I bought it!

I post regularly on my Instagram if anyone wants to follow... @specc_ginge

Old 10 April 2023, 03:35 PM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

pagid rs14 or rst3, ebc RPX
pagid rsl29 old rs29
discs ebc are good to
pf08 or rc6e CL but this costs over 400 quid-well for my ap's , not sure how much for oem brembo

Last edited by JdmSti2006; 10 April 2023 at 05:25 PM.
Old 14 April 2023, 02:38 PM
GingeySpecC
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Where are you guys getting a replacement STI front grille badge from? Mines gone a little faded.
Also seen you can get the wing/fender badges in black instead of the chrome.

I was thinking of changing the front and rear Subaru badge to pink or is that a no no? I know the saying goes "its your car, do what you want". Just want an opinion on it or see if anyone has with a Hatch STI/Spec C
Old 14 April 2023, 03:11 PM
forgedmarco
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I’d go with the style of badge that was intended, either import car parts or direct from Japan.
(Although previous owner put Spec C sticker on mine and it doesn’t look out of place).

Quick Reply: Spec C 2009 - Sunrise Yellow - NY59 TSX