Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

Jdm Legacy WR Limited

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2022, 11:38 AM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Jdm Legacy WR Limited

Picked this up nearly two weeks ago. Have wanted a legacy for a while, but only having driven one (albeit a 2 litre R) for the first time this year spurred me on to get it done.

The following 2 users liked this post by WRXrowdy:
Old 05 October 2022, 01:41 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Cracker! How pleased are you?
Old 05 October 2022, 02:21 PM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Very nice ,wish id had one over my 5 series touring.
Old 05 October 2022, 03:07 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
Cracker! How pleased are you?
Much!

Didn’t go to look at this one, he had a crystal grey gtb manual in that I was going to look at, but he had 6 in altogether and my head was turned when I saw this. He is 5 mins down the road from me.
Test drove both this and the manual. This one was in better nick, lower mileage and drove better. Price the same for both (originally but knocked him down -£750 manual and -£500 this)

He has a lovely 58 plate spec b flappy paddle that is absolutely mint, but out of my budget.
Old 06 October 2022, 03:22 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lockheed
Very nice ,wish id had one over my 5 series touring.
. Have you not got your forester anymore?
I see you are a fellow sussextonian. Who do you use for remapping for uk fuel?
Old 06 October 2022, 06:24 PM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Yes bud still got the forester ,its even got its own garage now .

I've been using abbey motorsport for mapping prior to that Duncan who upset me .
Perhaps fb might be a good shout but further to travel .
Not slot of choice down here unfortunately.
Old 07 October 2022, 02:51 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

sports front grill and someone has modded the dash to take a different head unit as they have an integral set-up as std..............

nice cars, ask me how I know.............
Old 07 October 2022, 08:24 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Oh go on then, how do you know!

Im jesting, I’ve joined uklegacy forum (well, waiting for account to be approved) and see you are a regular on there, have one or two and a foz sti do you not?

What legacy are you running Alyn?
I know it’s an aftermarket grille, wasn’t sure about the centre console as thought it was the later ones that were integrated but from what I gather these double din dash inserts can be a couple of hundred quid Can only get radio 2 and the CD player doesn’t want to load cd’s!
Old 15 October 2022, 06:50 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Right. One issue I want to address is the stereo. Although it plays, and can only play, radio 2 that is ok because that is the station I listen to most. It has mp3, mini disc and cd/dvd player, but the only modes it will switch between is radio and tv. I’ve tried to load a cd and it won’t take it.

Is it possible to just buy a new unit and plug it in, or is it not as simple as that with a jdm car?
I have read the Macintosh system has different frequency speakers but this has a pioneer carrozerra system.
Old 06 January 2023, 01:36 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Replaced the stereo. Well, I would have but the wiring looked beyond me, so after stripping half the dash, and the new pioneer unit not plugging in to any of the connectors for the old pioneer, and half the wiring being bullet connectors, phoned a local bloke I found on google. He came out, charged £80 for labour, a wiring harness, and a dab aerial as he said the tv aerial won’t be compatible, and we are good to go. I did strip the dash and button it up after the stereo was fitted. Looks more at home in the car than the old one.

Old 06 January 2023, 05:33 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Tidy.
Old 11 January 2023, 05:24 PM
joelle king
BANNED

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Looking great

Last edited by joelle king; 12 January 2023 at 08:01 AM.
Old 12 January 2023, 11:50 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Thanks gents. It’s a lot less distracting than the old unit at night. It sounds pretty decent as well, which is a relief because the one thing I liked about the Volvo was the sound system.

The legacy ownership hasn’t been without its dramas though. A few weeks before Christmas I had to pick a friend up about an hour away. Just before leaving my wife rang to say the Impreza wouldn’t start, so I went and jump started it. I was going to get fuel on the way but then didn’t have time. About 3/4 the way back the trip went from 50km remaining to 0 so stopped at the next forecourt, just as my wife rang to say the lights on the Impreza wouldn’t turn off. In my haste I started filling the car with v power. £30 in it suddenly dawned on me all was not right. It was v power diesel I was putting in. Didn’t start it, but AA said they wouldn’t be there for 5 hours.

Anyway, that drama got sorted, then the other day feeling a bit unwell I went to the toilet and my car key fell out the pocket of my jumper and went straight in the bog. I retrieved it quickly enough and dried it and it still works ok.
Old 14 January 2023, 10:33 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

But smells like ****?
Old 16 January 2023, 06:57 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
But smells like ****?
Domestos? 😉 luckily it was only down there 2 seconds max before I fished it out. Luckily it happened before I dropped my trolleys and used the pan, and luckily I had not long cleaned said bog after the Mrs pebble dashed it 😂
Old 16 January 2023, 07:05 PM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRXrowdy
Domestos? 😉 luckily it was only down there 2 seconds max before I fished it out. Luckily it happened before I dropped my trolleys and used the pan, and luckily I had not long cleaned said bog after the Mrs pebble dashed it 😂
Old 16 January 2023, 07:57 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Back on the topic of the Legacy, I’ve not looked under the mass of plastic Subaru has embellished the engine bay with, does anyone know what turbo these use? I’ve read that they use IHI vf39 twin scroll, but have also read they use td04hl 19t. I know our wrx has a td04l 13t, and the Legacy spools up much quicker than the wrx.

I have also read that the Legacy auto has a diff similar to the dccd set up and it has a 40/60 or thereabouts torque split biases to the rear. The manual version is 50/50 like the wrx. I wonder why this is, but do prefer the balance. I’ve booted it out of a junction in the legacy and it spins up (well it does this time of year) and the tail comes out nice and progressive. If I do that in the Impreza it grips more but if it does break traction is a lot more neutral and the back end stays in line.
In some ways the legacy reminds me of my old Sierra xr4x4, which had a 37/63 rear bias. Absolutely loved the balance of that car down a twisty back road.
Old 16 January 2023, 09:04 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Alyn, Stockcar on here, (AS Performance) is the man to answer any technical Leggy questions
Old 16 January 2023, 09:46 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Yes I know, I’ve ordered a few bits and pieces from Alyn before now for the Impreza.
Old 16 January 2023, 09:54 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Quick question for you hedgecutter. I know you like to keep the spec c clean. What do you use to clean the alcantara seats with?
Old 17 January 2023, 09:09 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

the 5EAT effectively has an Auto DCCD as std and constantly monitors / adapts the drivetrain to suit grip........

the reason it spools better than any WRX is because its a Twin Scroll arrangement so whilst similar in size to any other WRX its not the same fitment at all
Old 17 January 2023, 08:19 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Quick question for you hedgecutter. I know you like to keep the spec c clean. What do you use to clean the alcantara seats with?
Unfortunately the foam underneath is degenerating, but I've just used Autoglym interior shampoo. Like alot of treatments it looks good until it drys, and I seem to have developed an embarrassing stain in the groin area snarf snarf
Old 17 January 2023, 09:31 PM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

I've found decent laundry detergent works well on seats and anything interior even plastics ,smells good too might even work on your phone
Old 28 January 2023, 05:06 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

I have a small issue with the car at the moment.
The interior lights are not coming on. The stereo and remote locking I believe work off the same fuse so that isn’t the problem as they are working. If I toggle between positions on the light unit in the middle of the car nothing happens. The puddle lights on the doors work though, as do the map reading lights in the front.

im not sure if this has happened since the stereo was fitted, as I hadn’t really used the car at night since but I am not 100% sure.
The microphone for the hands free was positioned between the front light and mirror though so maybe something has been dislodged.
Old 05 May 2023, 11:05 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Went in for its mot yesterday. It didn’t pass.
the wiper washer pipes were rather perforated and rather than hit the windscreen it was doing a marvellous job of pretending to be an intercooler water spray. Fitted new tubes on it last week and working fine, I even tried them 1/4 mile from the mot station. Needless to say come the moment they were tested it decided to pop off, so that was a fail. It also failed on missing seatbelt buckles on the back seat. I rang them and told them I’d dropped the back seat the day before and forgot to pull them back out when I put the backrest back up, and the rear centre one retracts into the headlining (think it’s different on uk model)

More serious was the failure on emissions. It has been smelling a little rich lately and I’ve yet to make up my mind on a remap as some stories put me off, I don’t rag it everywhere and I always run it on shell v power, but the fuel economy is **** The garage owner put additives in it and drove about in it which has lowered the emissions.

More problematic though was the fail on headlight aim. It has been adjusted and it has now got a fresh ticket on it, but driving it earlier with the lights on the near side lamp is wobbling up and down. My son had a look outside his place when I drove it back and forth over the drop kerb on his driveway and he said it was the projector moving not the lamp unit, so I’m wondering if something has been broken on it when adjusting it.

Last edited by WRXrowdy; 05 May 2023 at 11:06 PM.
Old 07 May 2023, 03:16 PM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts

What do you use to clean the alcantara seats with?
I use g101 on alcantara ,cleans well and no streaks at all
Old 16 May 2023, 09:38 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Took the car for a run to Devon weekend before last. Car was faultless and some amazing roads, just hard work finding fuel stations with decent fuel. The Mrs was bemoaning my silly car that needs special rocket fuel and who would have one down here, then no sooner she said that a pearl white gen 4 twin scroll drove past and gave me a wave.

I’ve still not found out if my near side headlight is on the wobble after the mot as haven’t driven in the dark since, but I did notice the front fogs had been left on and I’m hoping it was one of those wobbling instead of the headlight.

@stockcar are the headlights on these jdm specific or are any uk legacy headlights the same?
Old 17 May 2023, 08:24 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

no they are HID units specific to the JDM cars
AFAIK none of the UK variants use the same lamp unit (or wiring)
Old 17 May 2023, 09:39 AM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

For what it's worth I've previously had halogen headlights fitted to a JDM Forester that had HIDs from factory in order to register it in Germany. The conversion was straightforward and even the headlight leveller worked.
I don't see why the same couldn't be done in the Legacy.
You will need halogen headlights and a 3-pin connector to connect to the car's loom with spade connectors, or cut the car's loom and fit the 3-pin connector.
Amazon Amazon
(that's assuming the Legacy halogen headlights are H4)

Last edited by fpan; 17 May 2023 at 09:45 AM.
Old 17 May 2023, 10:01 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

why on earth would you want to downgrade HID's to Haloigen unless forced by legislation??

if the garage have indeed damaged the headlight then it needs rectifying, if something else is going on then simply fix it........
there are also likely enough JDM cars being broken to be able to find a suitable donor??

Quick Reply: Jdm Legacy WR Limited