Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

For the love of WRX (wagon!)

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2014, 02:08 PM
modrich
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For the love of WRX (wagon!)

So I've finally got around to taking some pics of my wagon, it's a 2005 SL in Crystal Grey. Had it a couple of months now, and I've got to admit, at first I thought I'd made a mistake getting such an old school motor, but it's really grown on me and reminds me of what I've been missing in more modern cars recently. It feels alive and you feel totally connected to everything, the gear change is solid, mechanical and precise, and you get so much feedback through the pedals, gearstick and steering wheel. It's amazing how much feel you get from the engine through a cable operated butterfly valve that is directly connected to the accelerator pedal! No fly-by-wire throttle pedal here!

My last car was a B7 RS4 low miles, mint condition, but I couldn't believe how disconnected I felt from what was going on, and that is considered to be the best Audi RS you can buy, I'm definitely not an Audi man! My previous car to that was an E46 M3 SMG which I loved it for all the reasons I like the WRX, but the SMG was very frustrating around town as the throttle and clutch seemed to have a mind of its own, meaning at times I didn't feel in total control of that amazing straight six. A manual would have been perfect.

I've had a WRX before, a '93 JDM back when these cars first started to be imported and I've always hankered after another.

Having a 414bhp V8 RS4 that left me a little bit underwhelmed made me think that a shot of old school as opposed to outright BHP was what I was looking for and I'm very glad I've come full circle.

The WRX wagon is in pretty much perfect, unmolested condition. I like my cars to be pristine, and there were a couple of things that needed addressing, so it was off to the body shop to get a couple of minor car park dings pulled and polished out (no paint required thankfully), the headlamps had yellowed and lost their shine so these have been polished up and are back to looking like new. The whole car has had a machine polish to get rid of any swirls and scratches.

Alloys refurbed

Rusty locking nuts replaced...

The one thing letting the outside of the car down now are the brakes. They stop the car pretty well but look tatty. Front calipers are unpainted WRX Pro copies, I'm trying to get some Subaru original 4pots that I can refurb, Darren@JDM has let me down badly over this as hes had me waiting over 3 weeks for a pair of calipers that have never turned-up and in the meantime I've missed out on some good deals, so if anyone has a genuine pair for sale let me know.

Also all 4 discs look tatty as the unpainted bells have rusted, pity as they look like fairly new ones. Hopefully I'll have the brakes up to the standard of the rest of the car soon...

So that's the outside covered...Now on to the engine bay. It looked like this car has never seen a cloth under the bonnet so it's had a serious clean. There's more to do, I'll be removing the radiator top brackets and battery clamp etc and repainting them, and I’m going to remove the tatty looking bonnet heat shield and see if it lets a little more engine noise out, if not I’ll refit a new one.

Before

After

The only external mod on the car when I got it was an STi backbox fitted by the dealer to replace ancient twin pee shooter, still sounds very tame though

The only other changes from OEM on this car believe it or not were this horrendous gearknob and stuck-on handbrake grip trim.

The handbrake trim was easily removed as it was just stuck on with 3M tape. I've fitted a Momo Race Air leather gear **** the same that’s fitted in the GB270 run out edition. I’ve also replaced the tacky looking OEM handbrake and gearstick gaters with genuine black leather ones with blue stitching. I'm adopting a blue stitch theme for the interior as opposed to the pink/red highlights for the STi.

Gaters from Top Gaiters on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?ite...mpreza&_sop=15

STi steering wheel fitted while the WRX original gets refurbed. Going for something a little special here, I'll post details when I get it back in a week or so. By the way, this STi steering wheel is absolutely mint condition with no signs of wear at all, it'll be up for sale shortly when I re-fit the WRX one so let me know if you're interested.

The centre console trim was a little marked here and there so this has all been re-sprayed at the bodyshop to match the original colour. Also fitted a superb touch screen Pioneer AVH-X3600DAB headunit which sounds superb.

Next up will be sorting the DAB aerial. Choices are either using the standard aerial fitted in the rear screen with a DAB signal splitter, but the feed for this needs to be taken before the aerial amp as the amp cuts out the DAB frequencies, will have to see if this is feasible. Other option is to fit a new DAB aerial and I'm considering a sharkfin but that will be a last resort as involves drilling a hole in the roof!

Next up is a carcam with front and rear facing cams...

main cam unit

rear facing cam

So that’s it so far. More to come so I'll keep you all posted!
Old 23 May 2014, 02:23 PM
EssexJamie
Scooby Regular

Very tidy looking!

Give me a shout when you want to sell the STI steering wheel me or my mate will be interested in it.
Thanks
Old 23 May 2014, 05:26 PM
YE5 1 SUB
Scooby Regular

very nice.clean car

dont think im being rude but why only a wrx (not sti)after the bmw and audi?
Old 23 May 2014, 05:37 PM
Saffy
Scooby Newbie

Nice write up. Can I have a bit more info on that dash cam model plz.
Old 23 May 2014, 05:39 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Looks clean, and a nice little project!!

A decat and remap will bring it alive a little, after all you have come from some quick motors, so 270-280bhp should keep those pesky turbo hot hatches away!!!
Old 23 May 2014, 06:09 PM
Jayjay100
Scooby Regular

Nice looking car
Old 23 May 2014, 07:50 PM
Fraser H
Scooby Newbie

Nice wagon, will keep an eye out when I'm driving about the burgh .
Old 23 May 2014, 08:54 PM
modrich
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saffy
Nice write up. Can I have a bit more info on that dash cam model plz.
here's where I got it from, best carcam I've tried so far, not bad for £36!: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/G-Sensor-R...item566386105b

Originally Posted by EssexJamie
Very tidy looking!

Give me a shout when you want to sell the STI steering wheel me or my mate will be interested in it.
Thanks
NO probs mate

Originally Posted by Fraser H
Nice wagon, will keep an eye out when I'm driving about the burgh .
What are you driving Fraser?
Old 23 May 2014, 08:55 PM
modrich
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by YE5 1 SUB
very nice.clean car

dont think im being rude but why only a wrx (not sti)after the bmw and audi?
I'm easing myself back into the fold gently! Wanted something as 'stealth' as an impreza can get as well as something that isn't going to be a bone shaker on Edinburghs potholed roads!

Cheers for the comments guys!

Last edited by modrich; 23 May 2014 at 09:29 PM.
Old 24 May 2014, 08:19 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Nice car :-) I picked up 2005 PPP SL Wagon yesterday - very happy with it too and I'm in Edinburgh most weeks - I'll keep my eye out for yours :-)

I know what you mean about getting an old school motor - I think it will take me a few weeks to get used to it, it seems very mechanical compared to what I remembered my previous Impreza's being - but it's been almost 6 years since my last one and in that time I've had a Mk5 Golf GTI with all the toys and a 3.2V6 TT - both much more refined.
Old 24 May 2014, 09:05 PM
modrich
Scooby Regular

You probably pass my work, I'm based near airport, wouldn't mind comparing PPP with std, think mine could do with the breathing freeing-up to improve low down torque, have some PPP bits on my shopping list!

It's taken me a few weeks to get acclimatised but loving the mechanical feel to the controls, and the country roads to and from work are a blast!
Old 24 May 2014, 09:20 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Not a problem with meeting sometime so you can see the PPP difference.

I'm heading back up to the dealer next week as there is still some knocking from the suspension, he thought replacing the droplinks would sort it, but it hasn't. I'm also hoping something can be done to lighten the clutch pedal as it's really heavy - there is a fair amount of pressure pushing the pedal back up - so not sure if it's the clutch plates, the cylinder or me just needing to get used to a heavier clutch!

It was funny taking it for a test drive as I could not believe how mechanical and raw the car felt but I've always loved subaru's for their honest charm and it's cheap motoring compared to other things I was considering. The handling really is superb though - lovely feeling how flat and sure footed it is.
Old 24 May 2014, 09:32 PM
modrich
Scooby Regular

Front or rear? It could be the shocks knocking, mine had new rear KYBs fitted by dealer as they were knocking. My clutch pedal feels fine, though biting point is quite high which sounds normal from research. Give me a shout next time you're over, we can compare foibles!
Old 24 May 2014, 09:38 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Rear - so I think it's the shocks. Biting point is very high on my clutch too - just far too heavy. New clutch doesn't seem that expensive (£149 Exedy kit) - so can see myself changing that if the garage can't find anything obvious with the hydraulics.

Yep, I'll PM you when I'm down and around the airport :-)
Old 24 May 2014, 10:01 PM
modrich
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scotsman
Yep, I'll PM you when I'm down and around the airport :-)
Old 29 May 2014, 01:31 PM
modrich
Scooby Regular

The re-trimmed steering wheel arrived back from Jack at Royal Steering wheels today. Very happy with the result, it's turned out even better than I hoped, can't wait to get it fitted!

Also replace the badge with a blue and silver stars version ordered from Subarubits.co.uk.

Jack thickened-up the rim nicely so it will feel less like driving a bus now!

Old 29 May 2014, 01:38 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Very nice looking wheel!
Old 29 May 2014, 02:00 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Your doing a very impressive job , tastefully done IMO.
Old 29 May 2014, 02:05 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice looking car, i've a WRX Wagon PPP, I think it's the best daily of the lot, you might want to consider up rating the brakes if you like to push on a bit, doesn't take much to get the standard 4 pots fading on a spirited drive.

Strange you guys think they handle well as standard, I think they have woeful understeer and a total lack of steering feel, a few polly bushes and a geo set up soon gets them going exactly where you point it.

I'd whole heartedly recommend the PPP, very cheap way to get a 40bhp increase and a simple 2 min re-flash with the prodrive map transforms the standard car and keeps the reliability too.

Loving the steering wheel, what did that rush you to have it trimmed?

Enjoy, they're a cracking car to live with on a daily basis and will stay with most things way above their price range, total performance bargain, bang for buck can't be beaten imo.
Old 29 May 2014, 02:27 PM
modrich
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the comments lads.

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Nice looking car, i've a WRX Wagon PPP, I think it's the best daily of the lot, you might want to consider up rating the brakes if you like to push on a bit, doesn't take much to get the standard 4 pots fading on a spirited drive.

Strange you guys think they handle well as standard, I think they have woeful understeer and a total lack of steering feel, a few polly bushes and a geo set up soon gets them going exactly where you point it.

I'd whole heartedly recommend the PPP, very cheap way to get a 40bhp increase and a simple 2 min re-flash with the prodrive map transforms the standard car and keeps the reliability too.

Loving the steering wheel, what did that rush you to have it trimmed?

Enjoy, they're a cracking car to live with on a daily basis and will stay with most things way above their price range, total performance bargain, bang for buck can't be beaten imo.
Yep I agree, the brakes are ok but need more bite and feel. Have you done anything to your brakes? I've read that Godspeed discs and Kevlar pads are a good enough upgrade for fast road, think I'll go this route.

I plan doing something with the rear ARB, either stronger links & bushes or 20mm bar, not decided yet. Also a geo check and a little more -ve camber at front and check all toes are 0. What bushes & settings did you go for?

I would really like the PPP kit, I already have a Prodrive intercooler Y pipe (not fitted yet), so just need scrubber cat decat & ecu or remap, but taking it slowly on this front as I plan on keeping this motor a while so no need to rush the mods!

Steering wheel felt the most outdated bit of the car, skinny rim and the leather was too shiny for me, its the most important part of the car in my eyes as it's what you're hold of the most!

Do you have the Prodrive springs fitted?

Last edited by modrich; 29 May 2014 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02 June 2014, 12:54 PM
modrich
Scooby Regular

Fitted the steering wheel over the weekend, looks (and feels) superb. Sti wheel & airbag are now available, will be putting it up on ebay shortly if anyone is interested. £150 delivered to forum members

Also had a poke and prod under the bonnet and noticed that the accelerator cable was a little slack where it connects to the buttery valve so took about 3-4mm of play out. Accelerator feels much sharper and more connected now...you can't do this with drive-by-wire!

Old 02 June 2014, 01:28 PM
casasteve
Scooby Regular

Nice wagon! Great colour
Old 02 June 2014, 06:01 PM
ScottyPPP
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice wagon. I've got a Blob WRX PPP Wagon also, although no longer PPP as its running 330 Bhp roughly.

I personally wouldn't bother trying to make the car a PPP as its not really cost effective. Fit a few parts of your choice, scrubber cat decat, sports cat, decat up-pipe, the prodrive Y pipe you already have and a decent panel filter and you'll be looking at between 280 and 290 Bhp with a remap.

Mine is on Prodrive springs (made by eibach) which I find great for road use. I have whiteline drop links all round also but its still a bit understeery. This weekend I'm fitting Eibach front camber bolts and a 20mm rear ARB with poly bushes to try and make it a bit more neutral.

With regards to the brakes, you'd be surprised how well the stock 4 pots can work set up correctly. I'm running ATE Superblue fluid with Hawk HP+ pads and they're brilliant, no fade, mega bite and stopping power. I have rebuilt the front calipers with new seals and 8x stainless steel pistons also.

I have a genuine Prodrive scrubber cat decat pipe currently if you're interested.

Last edited by ScottyPPP; 02 June 2014 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02 June 2014, 06:32 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As far as brakes go I have AP 4 pots on my wagon so can stand it on it's nose as often as I like.

I changed the steering rack bushes, front and rear roll bar bushes and rear drop links. I also fitted camber bolts all round then went for some custom settings that I came up with after doing a bit of reading. Think I shall be going for a 22mm rear roll and a front anti-lift kit for some more castor as my geo settings are scrubbing my tyre edges a bit. It feels pretty wayward when going slow but as soon as you load it up it goes round corners like it's on rails with very controllable power slides for some giggles.

The reason I say go for the PPP is my first WRX I bought new in 04 and had it mapped by a top mapper lasted 30k before it started knocking my current PPP is on 105k. Sure it was a little bit quicker but at what cost.?
Old 02 June 2014, 07:01 PM
ScottyPPP
Scooby Regular

You can't really blame a mapper for big end failure 30k after it was mapped . Could have been caused by many things.

I'd rather have a map specific to my car than the generic PPP map.
Old 03 June 2014, 09:24 AM
modrich
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScottyPPP
This weekend I'm fitting Eibach front camber bolts and a 20mm rear ARB with poly bushes to try and make it a bit more neutral.
Which 20mm rear ARB did you go for Scotty? Rear ARB is supposed to make a big difference to turn-in and understeer.
Old 03 June 2014, 04:02 PM
ScottyPPP
Scooby Regular

I think its off of an '03 STi. Classic and non widetrack newage rear bars will fit though.
Old 03 June 2014, 04:18 PM
modrich
Scooby Regular

Yep, done some research and just ordered an 03 STi 20mm ARB. Cheers
Old 03 June 2014, 04:38 PM
ScottyPPP
Scooby Regular

Nice one .

PS, you need to delete some messages in your inbox as I can't reply.
Old 03 June 2014, 04:45 PM
modrich
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScottyPPP
Nice one .

PS, you need to delete some messages in your inbox as I can't reply.
Done!

Quick Reply: For the love of WRX (wagon!)