Notices

Driving by candle light!!

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2014, 08:22 PM
faster than you
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving by candle light!!

I'm sure this is a common fault with v5 imprezas, what bulbs does everyone use do rectify the poor head lights! I recently bought some expensive bulbs thinking they would make things better, although they are no different!

I don't want to change the whole headlights just wondering if there's any other bulbs people have used?? As I'm pretty much blinded by every on coming car!
Old 07 March 2014, 07:28 AM
kevo10
Scooby Regular

impreza lights ,at least classics and bugeyes ,were never much good. You could try Osram Nightbreakers.Igive up eventually and ,like many others, did retrofit hids
Old 07 March 2014, 01:53 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Retrofit HID, like here: https://www.scoobynet.com/technical-...mpler-way.html

Tried uprated bulbs, tried Morettes, (not bad), but the OE headlight design, whether crystal or earlier, was sh1te!

You could always fit driving lights:

Those are Hella 1000FF HID version, with Morette main and dip.

Last edited by alcazar; 07 March 2014 at 01:55 PM.
Old 24 March 2014, 11:48 AM
RB5 Boyo
Scooby Regular

My RB5 came with PIAA driving lights with 120 watt bulbs....to be fair they were pretty rusted when I bought the car so I bought a brand new set from scoobyworld:

http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog...roducts_id=622

I see they have increased in price a lot since I bought them three years ago, then they were £260 now they're £310

They are a complete kit and fit straight into a facelift classic bumper and to be fair they are pretty good and very very bright (I uprated the bulbs to 130 watt) but they have one poor fault in that the reflectors corrode very badly over a short space of time. I even put extra sealing on mines before I fitted them and they're still showing rust coming through although I think you can buy replacement reflectors for £60 each from PIAA direct.

Brilliant lights all the same and defo needed in a classic as they have the worst headlights I have ever seen in my life!!

Those Hellas look pretty good too, have you any links as to where they can be got Alcazar? Are they a direct fitting kit for the classic Imprezza or is some modifying required? Cheers

Last edited by RB5 Boyo; 24 March 2014 at 11:51 AM.
Old 24 March 2014, 12:35 PM
chet123
Scooby Regular

great title mate - that's exactly how its feels
Old 24 March 2014, 12:57 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

They USED to be a direct fit, and were available in halogen from Scoob dealers.

The HID version came from ScoobySport, and was very expensive, trust me....
It uses 10mm alloy brackets machined to take the lights and hold them rigid.
IF you had a set of HID lights, the brackets would be a cinch for someone to make.

The Subaru version used different brackets. Here's a pic on this page: http://www.sahibinden.com/ilan/yedek...12953615/detay, The one with the light on it's side. Again, NOT difficult to have made, all you really need is the dimensions of the holes for the back plate...they screw into the foglight holes, and if you had a lamp, the actual mounting bracket would be easy too.

Here are some 1000FF's for sale: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_tr...at=0&_from=R40
They are halogen, of course at that price, but a decent HID kit transforms them.

HOWEVER: I would say that if you are willing to spend money on the lights, a set of clear stone covers is worth going the mile for. I have a set that came with mine, recently re-polished to get them totally clear again, and another set I got from the USA as spares.

A further option is to go the P1 route. This used smaller (90mm dia) lights, again made by Hella, which, afaik, are still available from Hella dealers to order. The mounting kits can be had for very few ££ from Scoob dealers, and have the advantage of having horozontal and vertical adjuster screws for alignment.
Finish off with a pair of lamp covers with the 90mm hole already in, and you have around 95% of the light of the 1000FF except stealth.

I'm NOT sure they can be as easily converted to HID, but HID are available...just make sure you are sitting down when the dealer tells you the price. The halogen lights aren't dear at all.

http://www.imagejuicy.com/images/exo...-impreza-p1/9/, fifth pic down.

It's worth remembering that the P1 came with DRIVING lights, not the silly foglights everyone else got, so if you find any, that's what they are. The only option was HID ones instead of the halogen as standard.

HTH
Old 24 March 2014, 08:13 PM
Dutch Scooby lover
Scooby Regular

I am running Morettes and 1000FF's , all converted to HID.
Absolutely no problems with night time driving at any speed on any road.

The only problem then becomes that most other car lights seem substandard in comparison.