Notices

Click on key turn?

Search this Thread

Old 07 November 2013, 08:28 PM
MilleniumRacer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Click on key turn?

Before I start I must stress that I've literally had no time to do any further invest for my fault due to having to dash out the door for a flight with work.

Background: I just collected the new bugeye wrx yesterday from Paul Dawes on here, so big thanks to him first off.
I used the purchase as an excuse to visit my brother who lives close to Paul, down in Stowmarket.

Anyhow, after a long and very uneventful 400 miles travelling back up the A14/M1/A66/M6/M74 I got home and put the car and myself to bed.
Next day I took the bug for a quick spin round to a friend's house nearby to let him give the car a once over, and again no issues.

After returning home this afternoon, I lifted up the dashtop mounted 3 gauge pod, which has 3 pro-sport gauges. Just having a look at what connectors were there, as I'm contemplating relocating the gauges. I found that the LED for the alarm system that would poke through the clock unit had a resistor connected to one side of it, and that the solder had broken off and was hanging loose.

As I mentioned at the start, I was in a hurry to get out the door to go on a work trip, so just tried to start the engine to move the car down the driveway but nothing. No start, but just a single click when the key is turned. The fuel pump runs to prime the injection system, but the engine fails to turn over. As I never had long to doanything with it I just stuck on a battery booster to see if it had inadvertently drained, but still just a click.

Is this just likely to be a sticky starter motor, which will need a little bit of persuasion to turn? Or, is it per chance something to do with the LED and the broken solder at the resistor behind the gauge pod as it's part of the alarm system?

I know this could be many things, but I'm stuck at work for 2 days trying to think what possibilities it may turn out to be, and what to check as soon as I get back home on Saturday night. Any sensible suggestions would be greatly appreciated .

P.S. I've got a buyer coming on Sunday to view/possibly purchase the other car this bugeye has replaced, so really need to get to the bottom of this issue rather quickly because we'll need the bugeye for commuting .
Old 07 November 2013, 08:58 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Possibly due to the broken connection but electrics are things I try to avoid. Since the fuel pump is priming, I wouldn't have thought it was the alarm.

Highly possibe that it is the starter motor, but, since you're away there's nothing you can do to check. You're probably going to have to bit the bullet and buy a starter motor, on a just in case basis for when you get back, although since it's Thursday night you're a bit stuck, especially if the other car sells.

When you get back, pop the bonnet, and stick your ear by the back of the TMIC on the passenger side. Get someone to try turning it over, then when, and if, it clicks you'll be in the right place to hear for certain if it's the starter.

If it's not clicking at the starter then it's possible it's a relay clicking/sticking. Not sure on a bug, on a classic the main ones are a pig to get to. Knowing Subaru though, they'll probably be in the same place. Under the dash near the base of the O/S A-Pillar.

I'm by no means an expert on this sort of stuff, just going off personal experience of what I've had to change recently.

If it's the starter motor, they aren't hard to change. Disconnect the batter, remove TMIC, diconnect wiring to starter, and remove the 2 bolts holding it in place. Make sure you disconnect the battery though, as the starter is connected directly to it and there's lots of things for the wire to the starter to arc against.
Old 07 November 2013, 09:09 PM
MilleniumRacer
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the reply Micky .

Suppose I'm just a bit frustrated at being stuck on a different island and not able to check out some simple things to progress the fault isolation .

I'll maybe see if I can get a meter onto the starter contacts as someone turns the key to see if it's getting the volts? Might see if I can try and organise a replacement starter motor for Sunday just in case it is confirmed U/S .

Will need to get my thinking cap on .
Old 10 November 2013, 01:06 PM
MilleniumRacer
Scooby Regular

Spent an hour looking at the starter issue yesterday.
Found a couple of broken internal connections to the clutch section of the motor .

New motor arriving on Tuesday, and a loan item to be fitted today .

Cheers Arch & Matty!

Old 12 November 2013, 07:22 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've got 2 fcuked ones here, never thought to try and take one apart.

Glad you're getting sorted mate.