Notices

Car will not start when warm

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2002, 04:40 PM
Michael Robinson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any idea's ? if the car goes on a journey and it left for a few hours, it starts fine. But if you do a journey in it (get it hot) and try to drive it again say 20 mins later, you have no chance of starting it (presumable because it is still hot !). Any suggestions anyone as i live on the isle of man and finding any garage to look at it is nearly impossible.
Old 23 May 2002, 03:08 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

First thing to try is do not touch the throttle just turn the key and see if it goes. Also when you switch ignition on wait for a few seconds before turning over (until the fuel pump has gone through its routine. You can hear it)Lets know how you get on.
Old 23 May 2002, 11:09 AM
JohnS

Michael,

this is most commonly the crank position sensor which has failed. It could also be a temperature sensor, causing the car to run excessively rich and flooding.

You should always start the car with your foot off the accelerator, but if it doesn't start (and sounds like it is almost catching), you could try putting your foot flat to the floor when cranking, as the engine may have flooded (mixture might be too rich). The car will hopefully start after a few seconds of cranking with your foot down. be ready to lift off once it does though, so as not to over-rev the engine.

John
Old 23 May 2002, 03:50 PM
Michael Robinson
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys ! when i try to strt the car i never press the accelarator. I usually listen to the fuel pump to finish its routine, but i have noticed that when it is hot/warm the fuel pump does make a few weird noises like as if it has air in it. any idea's ? if i did need to replace the crank (sensor)how much is it, and how difficult is the job ?
Old 04 August 2002, 01:09 AM
markpm
Scooby Regular

Hi Michael,

Just noticed your post there. I too live on the IOM and am having the exact same problem! Been most annoying when trying to get round the rally stages the last couple of days...

Did you get it sorted?
If so, what was it?

Cheers
Mark...
Old 05 August 2002, 01:39 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Had the AA fix a previous car of mine before that did this. He called it newsagent syndrome. Happens most when people make a journey, stop for a few mins and try to start up again.
I am not technical so if the next bit is cr4p, not my fault.
Said that the car did not have time to either drain the fuel from the pump(or lines to the carb) and flooded when you tried to start it again.
He fixed it by taking the fuel line off, draining some petrol, putting it back on. Turned ignition till pump primed and car started. I asked why it did'nt happen all the time then at which point he mumbled something about it happening only when the pump did not prime??
Who knows. He did fix it though.
Alasdair
Old 11 August 2002, 07:38 PM
gossythevaleter
Scooby Regular

the other thing it could be is fuel evaporation fuel lines gettin arm unusall but does happen as this is what happened o my old car only option i had was to reroute fuel lines and wrap inreflective heat shield