Notices

Indicators on, not flashing

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2013, 09:10 AM
hill79
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Indicators on, not flashing

As per the title really, my indicator lights are coming on when I move the indicator stalk or press the hazard light switch, but in both cases they don't flash. Lights on the dashboard come on but don't flash and I hear no 'tick' from a relay as I would expect.

What're the likely causes? dead relay? If so, where are they in the car and does anyone know the part number for a replacement on a 2001 bugeye wrx?

Thanks
Old 08 January 2013, 09:15 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Most probably dead relay. They are located afaik high up under the dash, driver's side. You can usually see it if you are a contortionist, or feel it, but not both at once.

To replace costs under £10, and you don't need one from a dealer. Decent car parts shop will supply.

Out of interest, do you tow with the car?
Old 08 January 2013, 09:19 AM
hill79
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Most probably dead relay. They are located afaik high up under the dash, driver's side. You can usually see it if you are a contortionist, or feel it, but not both at once.

To replace costs under £10, and you don't need one from a dealer. Decent car parts shop will supply.

Out of interest, do you tow with the car?
Thanks - so its just a generic indicator relay? or should I be asking for something specific?

The car has a detachable tow-bar but I've never used it (only had the car a month), why do you ask?
Old 08 January 2013, 09:22 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Yes, generic part is fine.

I asked about towing because, unless a towing flasher unit has been fitted, it can quickly burn the contacts on a normal flasher relay since it has to carry 50% more current at least.

Could be the car hasn't had one fitted and repeated use without it, before you got it, has done the deed, so to speak.

Is the wiring still in place for the tow-bar? You could check that there is no prob with that, it should be connected behind the rear o/s light unit. You can get at it through the boot, just undo a couple of trim clips and pull the trim away.
Old 08 January 2013, 09:35 AM
hill79
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Yes, generic part is fine.

I asked about towing because, unless a towing flasher unit has been fitted, it can quickly burn the contacts on a normal flasher relay since it has to carry 50% more current at least.

Could be the car hasn't had one fitted and repeated use without it, before you got it, has done the deed, so to speak.

Is the wiring still in place for the tow-bar? You could check that there is no prob with that, it should be connected behind the rear o/s light unit. You can get at it through the boot, just undo a couple of trim clips and pull the trim away.
Ah I see - the tow-bar was fitted from new by the dealership, so I assume they'd have put in the correct relay (but who knows ) the wiring is still in place for it.

Hopefully it's just the relay under the dash, I should be able to change that myself - doesn't sound like its easily accessible though, what's the best route to get to it?
Old 08 January 2013, 10:49 AM
hill79
Scooby Regular

The motor factors I've called can't find anything listed on their systems for a replacement - any ideas on part numbers for the newage?
Old 08 January 2013, 11:40 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

No, sorry.
Give the dealer a ring, they will know where it is too.

I found mine by reaching up under the dash with the indicators on and feeling it clicking, but you won't be able to do it that way.