Notices

Electrical problem please help

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2012, 12:17 AM
hardcore199
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical problem please help

Hello again, 1995 wrx import, a couple of times she has not started on me just won't fire but leave a while and normally goes, we'll this time it seems whatever it is has totally gone now as she just won't go, I had rac out the other day not much help but what I did find out is that I have no injector pulse, would crank/cam sensor failure or lamba sensor or any other sensor failure stop injector pulse or should I be looking more at alarm imoberliser which is the sigma, or would there be any common reason for something to intermittenly brake down then go??? Any advice more than welcome I'm lost when it comes to electrics, thank you
Old 14 October 2012, 08:51 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Is it throwing up any codes on the CEL? That might narrow the search.......

Do a search on here for how to read the codes and what they mean, or how to read them and then post again with your findings.

Oh, and when you post next time, list any mods if you have them.
Old 14 October 2012, 09:14 AM
hardcore199
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Is it throwing up any codes on the CEL? That might narrow the search.......

Do a search on here for how to read the codes and what they mean, or how to read them and then post again with your findings.

Oh, and when you post next time, list any mods if you have them.
I will try and revise a bit more on here and maybe my manual on how to read the codes, I have stripped the bottom half of dash trying to find either somewhere to plug a machine in or these green and black wires or plugs to put together and couldn't see anything,
The only mods I have at the moment is dump valve, turbo timer, td05 turbo but I believe they come as standard on the early imports with the closed deck engine, an apexi filter and full system including headers, hks high flow oil filter, and silicon hoses that's about everything, I'm wanting to modifie but I think I brought a bit of a bad one and have done nothing but try and make it a good car first,
I had water pump and of course cam belt go withing 3 weeks of owning her, I done all that with second hand heads but new multi layer steel head caskets new pulleys tensioner, pump, belt etc then I done power steering, then wheel bearings and brakes brought the high level Sti spoiler but a bad copy which I'm still trying to shape and make looke nice, and now it won't even start,
Starting to get down hearted with the whole scooby thing but I'm still trying to tell myself that it will be good in the end with all the new parts she's getting cheers guys
Old 14 October 2012, 10:12 AM
eclipse performance
Former Sponsor

Your gonna need to find those wires and check for codes. Get down by he pedals then look up under the steering column. You should see the 2 green plugs and 2 black plugs hanging together. If you can see them put your hand up and have a feel around. I've seen them taped back up in the harness sometimes but they should be there.

When you turn the ignition on, can you hear the fuel pump priming from the boot area?

Could well be crankshaft sensor, but could also be lots of other things. When you get it running, does it run ok?

Last edited by eclipse performance; 14 October 2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old 14 October 2012, 10:30 AM
hardcore199
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by eclipse performance
Your gonna need to find those wires and check for codes. Get down by he pedals then look up under the steering column. You should see the 2 green plugs and 2 black plugs hanging together. If you can see them put your hand up and have a feel around. I've seen them taped back up in the harness sometimes but they should be there.

When you turn the ignition on, can you hear the fuel pump priming from the boot area?

Could well be crankshaft sensor, but could also be lots of other things. When you get it running, does it run ok?
Yeah I can hear fuel pump, so hopefully I find these plugs when I do which do I plug together? Both black or both green or black on green,??
And yeah when it was running it was running sweet, ah well two small issues, 1 sometimes I thought I wasn't getting full boost when going through the gears, lets say just on odd occasion I'd go through second with little boost then it would hit hard again in third?? And no2 again only sometimes you will floor it and it would sound like there was an air leak like a dump valve noise and them once that noise went you would then get boost, I replaced all vacuum pipes with silicon and new turbo inlet with blank off bung, I thought this might be something to do with dump valve maybe fluttering about then all of a sudden getting sucked shut so then getting boost when shut?
I will hunt these plugs, I take it there only small plugs as I found two black and one green together so maybe the other is tucked up
Old 14 October 2012, 10:46 AM
eclipse performance
Former Sponsor

Sounds like a sticking dump valve to me.

Yes, they are only small. Sounds like you have found them.

Keep ignition off.
Plug 2 black plugs together
Ignition on
Watch the Check Engine light flash.
It flashes morse code. LONNNNG flash =10. QUICK flash =1
Write down the number/numbers and then post on here or search online for corresponding fault code.

Last edited by eclipse performance; 14 October 2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 14 October 2012, 10:50 AM
eclipse performance
Former Sponsor

MAF would be LONNNG, LONNNG, QUICK, QUICK, QUICK = 23
Crankshaft sensor would be LONNNG, QUICK = 11
Old 14 October 2012, 11:44 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Out of interest, has the car had the map tweaked for the mods?
Old 14 October 2012, 01:02 PM
hardcore199
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by eclipse performance
Sounds like a sticking dump valve to me.

Yes, they are only small. Sounds like you have found them.

Keep ignition off.
Plug 2 black plugs together
Ignition on
Watch the Check Engine light flash.
It flashes morse code. LONNNNG flash =10. QUICK flash =1
Write down the number/numbers and then post on here or search online for corresponding fault code.
Ok cool yes I thought I need a better dump valve, I was given a list of codes the other day, thanks for your help I'll let you no the out come thank you
Old 14 October 2012, 01:04 PM
hardcore199
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Out of interest, has the car had the map tweaked for the mods?
No I have not touched the map as yet, I was in the process of finding someone in my area to tweak it, but haven't done so yet??? My area is Sevenoaks Kent if you no of anyone good!!!!
Old 14 October 2012, 03:15 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

JGM will travel.

And get it tweaked BEFORE it does some damage.....

PS: the best dumpvalve for the car is the stock one that comes with it. Does it's job WITHOUT the silly noise. AND your engine will run better, not as rich.
Old 14 October 2012, 04:46 PM
hardcore199
Scooby Regular

Ok I will be looking for a stock dump valve now then this one was on it when I brought the car,
Can my stock ecu be tweaked ok, and do you have any idea what sort of money I'm looking at for a tweak by jgm just so I make sure I have enough cash waiting for him and don't make a fool of myself,
Old 14 October 2012, 07:27 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Best to contact him, he will answer all questions
Old 16 October 2012, 12:41 AM
hardcore199
Scooby Regular

Hello people just to update I figured it could only really be crank or cam sensor for fuel to work but injectors not anyway I borrowed a cam sensor he couldn't get his cam sensor out, tried cam no joy took my crank sensor out n it was pretty filthy cleaned it up for now and she woke up, I also spoke to jgm and I'm well happy with his quote just need to earn a little more cash and go and see him, thanks for all your help and fast response again,