Notices

LED indicators anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2012, 11:18 AM
scooby546
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED indicators anyone?

Just wondering if anyone out there has converted to LED indicators?

Was trying a few options for the de-tango of my hawkeye, tried silvatec bulbs but they were a little too dim in my opinion and I wanted to make sure the indicators are bright enough, and fancied LEDs as an alternative as they should be clear enough (or white ish) to get rid of the orange blobs in the lenses

I've tried a couple different types but might have to end up making my own, as some were too large to fit inside the lens or through the aperture. The hawkeye uses these W21W wedge bulbs as well, which aren't that easy to come by for aftermarket stuff

Cheers,

Pete
Old 01 May 2012, 03:08 PM
classic scooby
Scooby Regular

here you go mate
http://www.hq-auto-lighting.co.uk/15...-red-or-amber/
Old 02 May 2012, 09:07 AM
scooby546
Scooby Regular

Thanks dude, I'll check those out... they look fine for the fronts but the rears are sort of in at an angle, so not sure how the light will look when viewed directly from the rear but at that price they are worth a try
Old 02 May 2012, 10:22 AM
scooby546
Scooby Regular

Right, I've ordered a couple to test them out, will post up here with the results...
Old 07 May 2012, 09:55 AM
scooby546
Scooby Regular

Okay, got hold of some LED bulbs and tested them out. The results were a little disappointing to be honest in that the light output is lower than is really acceptable. To start with, I compared the stop / tail lights. Here is the standard filament brake light:

and here is the LED equivalent:

The LED version is not as bright, and the same applied to the tail light. Here's the normal tail light:

and this is the LED tail light:

Not really bright enough. These pics were taken in strong daylight, as it's harder to tell the difference in the dark as they both seem to be bright enough, if you know what I mean, whereas the daylight test really shows up the difference in brightness. While the stop / tail LED bulbs were noticeably dimmer than standard, the LED indicators were even worse. This is the normal indicator:

And this is the LED one:

Yes, the bulb is actually on. The problem here is the bulb is mounted in at an angle, which is fine for omni directional filament bulbs but bad news for directional LED ones. Here it is again viewed form the side, basically pointing the camera at the bulb:

It's still way too dim for an indicator. The front indicator bulbs are pointing forward so the results from those might be better, but given the overall brightness i'm not so sure. Here is a picture of the LED indicator bulb out of the housing:

Here's another type of LED indicator bulb; this one has most of the LEDs on the sides, creating a more omni directional light output:

This one is definitely better, but it is too wide to fit inside the housing so unfortunately I can't test it directly against the standard filament bulb when in position.

I also tried the silvatec style chrome coated bulbs, and they were a bit too dim as well.

I guess the next step is to get hold of a couple of USDM tail light clusters and modify them. If I can split the housings apart then perhaps I can install a much larger LED array inside the lens, which should work much better than the smaller bulb replacements I've tried so far. If you're wondering why I would go USDM, it's basically to remove the red lens on the fog light on the right side, as I think it looks odd and would be better balanced with clear LEDs in there for the fog light instead
Old 07 May 2012, 11:24 AM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Yeah , not good at all ! Its the fact they dont use te effect of the reflector. Look into side ways mounted led ? I know the SMD sidelight bulbs pointed all sides and made all the difference . Not sure if they come different colours.

See what i mean here - https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...l#post10580995

Last edited by CharlySkunkWeed; 07 May 2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07 May 2012, 11:31 AM
scooby546
Scooby Regular

Yeah, thats the difference I think, in the reflector use - or lack of - as you point out. The OEM LED tail lights seem to have a completely different setup, with the LEDs mounted in a custom array facing the direction of view, and sometimes wrapping round a bit as well. I think the direction of the LEDs is critical here, and perhaps a custom LED array is the way to go. I did this with a fog light for my classic STI, and it worked really well, so perhaps the same thing again is required here, with say 40+ LEDs pointing rearwards and another bunch pointing round to the side a bit as well. This would sort of ignore the reflector completely, so not sure how that would work out, but could be with a try...
Old 07 May 2012, 11:34 AM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

I added a link in my last post , but u know what i mean anyway.
Old 07 May 2012, 12:01 PM
scooby546
Scooby Regular

Yeah, cheers for that - the SMD ones look a lot better, because they are using the OEM reflector much like the standard filament bulb does
Old 09 May 2012, 10:36 AM
jameswrx2001
Scooby Regular

This may help or may not I bought the SMD for the fog lights on my bugeye and I cudnt get them to fit through the hole for the bulb I've even tried filing the bulb down and still no joy not sure if this will apply to the indicators also but just thought I'd mention this.
Old 09 May 2012, 10:50 AM
scooby546
Scooby Regular

Yeah, I know what you mean - a couple of the ones I tried were simply too wide to fit inside the reflector, which was a shame as I think they might have worked better as they had more LEDs built in for better light output. I might have to build my own custom ones I think...
Old 09 May 2012, 10:53 AM
jameswrx2001
Scooby Regular

The SMD I ordered the 18led ones they will really bright really gutted they wudnt fit.
Old 09 May 2012, 02:03 PM
scooby546
Scooby Regular

Do you have a link to those ones handy? Might have a look and see what they are like - cheers
Old 09 May 2012, 02:08 PM
jameswrx2001
Scooby Regular

It is just a eBay find hope this helps http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/vie...id=82052665587
Old 09 May 2012, 02:19 PM
scooby546
Scooby Regular

Thanks, yeah, they do look quite big when compared to the normal H3 bulbs. I reckon as LED lights become more mainstream on production cars we will see more of these replacements, and hopefully better quality in terms of fitment and light output as well
Old 09 May 2012, 02:22 PM
jameswrx2001
Scooby Regular

Yea yea they do make bulbs wiv less LEDs but dnt think they would be as bright,
Old 09 May 2012, 05:26 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

I done the same with my bugeye ! Seen how bright the sidelights were and seeing they were only a few quid i though i would try them as headlights. Didnt fit through the hole.