Notices

Bugeye STI Lights Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2012, 09:08 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bugeye STI Lights Wiring

Okay, I've made up one or two looms in the past to allow people to convert their Bug WRX to run STI lights, both HID and non-HID and never before had a problem.

Trying to help out SinghSuperStud with his lights and the guy he has bought them off has not supplied the ballasts and doesn't appear interested in doing so. I have wired up a universal aftermarket HID ballast, rated at 35W same as the bulbs but no matter what I do I cannot get the thing to work.

With the loom I make, configured exactly the same as the one fitted to my car but with different plugs for the aftermarket ballast, the main beam works fine but the dipped HID doesn't fire - the power to the loom is fine and I can revert back to my own lights no problem - it just plugs straight into the H4 connection.

Whilst the ballast only has 2 connections and the lights have 3, I have run the 3rd (earth) directly to the battery earth connection. I know that subaru uses a switched earth rather than a switched live, but they do not routinely reverse the polarity of the wiring. I have tried reversing the polarity of both the feed to and from the ballast and none of this has made any difference. I have tried both new ballasts, both looms and both lights/bulbs. The only thing I haven't tried is one of the bulbs from the none working lights in my car as it's such a pig to get the lights off to change the bulbs.

From the lights I have wired orange to positive (ballast), grey to negative (ballast) black to earth (body/battery).

I run mine fine with Nissan ballasts as mine came without any when I bought them so I know I don't have to fit Subaru ballasts, but is there something I am missing when using a universal replacement - I doubt very much that 2 looms, 2 ballasts or 2 bulbs would blow at the same time, and the bulbs look okay in terms of physical condition.

Is the something inside the lights that I need to tweak or do universal ballasts only work with aftermarket kits - I don't see why that would be the case as the power and voltage ratings are all okay

Any help or advice would be appreciated
Old 12 April 2012, 09:37 PM
555_STI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if its any use but I've got a set of ballasts and levelling motors from a set of blobeye lights. Was planning on putting them up on ebay and stumbled across this thread.