Notices

Have an oil leak! but..what's this?

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 2011, 03:35 PM
[JP]
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have an oil leak! but..what's this?

afternoon...

quick help guys please....

UK 2000 turbo classic.
developed an oil leak, so I got it up on axle stands today, took the undertray off and found the leak coming from this thing attached to the oil filter...

Never seen anything like it.. what the hell is this??

and more importantly...how can I fix it?
Looks like there's an aftermarket part attached to where the oil filter should be and then the oil filter to it? and then the other bits sticking out the aftermarket part?

what's this all about then? is this something to do with the gauges I have? they are pro sport...

some guidance help on what to do to cure this oil leak would be great!

thanks!
JP
Old 03 December 2011, 03:37 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Yes its a sendor for oil temp/ pressure gauge
Old 03 December 2011, 03:38 PM
bubba j
Scooby Regular

that is a sandwich plate, and its for your guages. is it leaking from the fittings on the side or from the filter?
Old 03 December 2011, 03:53 PM
[JP]
Scooby Regular

it looks like from the fitting on the side and then running down the filter...

well, could also be from the filter though, but definately from the fitting as there was oil around it, if it was only the filter, it wouldnt be leaking from the fitting.

I have only got it serviced 300mls ago at a subaru place here in Newbury...

can i just replace the fitting? or do I have to get a new sandwich plate?
guess, the fitting would have to be from prosport, as that's the gauges I have?

thanks for the help so far
Old 03 December 2011, 04:08 PM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

If it's from the sender I think I have a spare Temp snesor knocking about from my pro-sport gauges.

Could just take the sender you have out and PTF the crap out of it and shove it back in again, problem solved.
Old 03 December 2011, 06:15 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jayallen
Yes its a sendor for oil temp/ pressure gauge
Nope, it's a sandwich plate, the lazy man's way of fitting gauges.

Can I respecetfully sugest you drain the oil, unscrew all senders carefully, unscrerw and remove the sandwich plate, then refit the oil filter and refill with oil.

Now turn the engine over a few times with the crankshaft sensor diconnected.

Finally, turn your hand to re-fitting the gauge senders where they SHOULD be:
Oil PRESSURE: either where the oil pressure SWITCH is, (just under alternator, front of engine), or, if it won't physically fit, and/or you are **** enough to want the OE o/p LIGHT as well as the gauge, use a t-piece.
Oil TEMPERATURE: in the tapping on top of cylinder No3.

Oh and the sandwich plate: ebay it to another mug (Get all the O-rings).

If you can identify WHERE the oil is coming from:
1. If it's coming from the sandwich plate, you need to try tightening it, AFAIK, you need to remove the fileter so to do, and hope that no-one last the O-ring when it was fitted.
2. If it's coming from the filter, try retightening, or remove, wipe clean, inspect O-rings for damage and presence, refit and tighten.
3. If it's coming from one of the senders, unscrew sender, wind about eight turns of PTFE tape around it's threads and reseat it. DO NOT overtighten, many have tapered threads and you will shear it off

Last edited by alcazar; 03 December 2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03 December 2011, 06:53 PM
[JP]
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the tips!

im a bit of a numpty when it comes to all the subaru stuff as this is only my "toy" car (done only 300 miles since august) as I have other cars where I spend more time working on...

so, alacazar, although its the easy way of fitting gauges, is it still acceptable?
i understand the method you describe is, what it sounds like, it should be done, but i guess with this sandwich plate, the effect will still be the same?

I think, almost 100% sure, its coming from the sender on the picture, can I just remove it without draining the oil and wrap PTFE tape around it?

or no matter what my plan of attack I'll always have to drain the oil?

strange how this only started leaking after I had the service done though! I dont take any of my other cars or bikes to dealers or garages for anything....I do it all, and this is the reason, I always think garages try to do something to get you back in there
Old 03 December 2011, 09:12 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by [JP]
Thanks for the tips!

im a bit of a numpty when it comes to all the subaru stuff as this is only my "toy" car (done only 300 miles since august) as I have other cars where I spend more time working on...

so, alacazar, although its the easy way of fitting gauges, is it still acceptable?
Yes......at a pinch. Depends if you want "acceptable" or "correct"

i understand the method you describe is, what it sounds like, it should be done, but i guess with this sandwich plate, the effect will still be the same?
Not excatly, no. Both temperature and pressure will be lower than you would get from the optimum positions, but if you can live with that..............

I think, almost 100% sure, its coming from the sender on the picture, can I just remove it without draining the oil and wrap PTFE tape around it?
Yes, expect to lose SOME oil. Could you get someone to put a thumb over it while you wrap the sender? Or stuff it GENTLY with rolled paper towel?
Old 03 December 2011, 09:16 PM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

The sandwich plate is a more than acceptable way of fitting the gauge senders, Alcazar is just being a perfectionist..... You'll probably find that the ProSport senders do not fit in the conventional sender positions, te oil pressure sender is to big to fit where it should go and you need an oil Gallery adapter to fit the temp sender where any other temp sender would sit.

Determine where the leak is actualy coming from, wipe it up, run the engine up and determine the actual leak and workit from there... like Isay, if it is coming from the sender screw hoel take the sender out and PTFE the ****e out of it and screw it back in, problem solved !
Old 03 December 2011, 10:21 PM
[JP]
Scooby Regular

excellent thanks for the tips..

I understand alcazar point, im a bit of a perfectionist myself and I like things done properly without taking corners.

I'll go for the "quick fix" solution with PTFE tape just to sort it out for now as I have a Defender to sort out before the snow comes, so that's taking priority at the mo.

once again, thanks for the invaluable help guys

JP
Old 04 December 2011, 12:20 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Scoobyworld sell a gauge fitting kit that has all the bits needed to do the job properly, should only take an hour max to put them in the correct places..

Old 04 December 2011, 10:46 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Scoobyworld sell a gauge fitting kit that has all the bits needed to do the job properly, should only take an hour max to put them in the correct places..

What does the kit have in it? He's got the senders already.
Old 04 December 2011, 02:48 PM
[JP]
Scooby Regular

update on this as I always like to close my threads in case someone has the same problem they get the possible solutions and the outcome.

it worked!

jacked the car up again today, removed the sensor, not much oil came out, almost nothing to be honest.

wrapped some PTFE tape around the thread, put it back on, took it for a spin....and no oil leak.

cheers everyone!
Old 04 December 2011, 05:24 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Glad it's sorted.

Now, come the decent weather, come back and we'll run you through how to fit them all PROPERLY