Notices

favour needed

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2011, 07:50 PM
obey1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default favour needed

as some have you have seen ive fitted some spots to my bugeye sti now these come with covers and no lamps but all the wiring there so fitted some lamps off a classic and noiticed the fittings plug to the back of the lamps different so scotched clipped and waited for a swithc to arrive from a wrx newage , tonight fitted the switch and no lamps working ? so was wondering do the lamps on the wrx bugeye are needed which will have prob the correct plug fitting for the lamps
so the favour is anybody close to me manchester area can meet and pop out one lamp on the wrx and try in mine with the original plug on please
Old 28 April 2011, 08:32 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I think if the lamps are missing, there may be no relay and maybe even no feed to the switch from the fuse.

However, all is not lost: IF you have fitted spots/driving lamps and NOT foglights, you must, BY LAW, have them wired so that they are extinguished whenever DIP beam is selected, and only come on with MAIN beam.

I can explain how to do this and the foglight switch is redundant.
Old 29 April 2011, 12:15 AM
obey1
Scooby Regular

Default lights

well i persume they are fog lights they came off a classic , going to check tomorrow fuse if fitted and relay if fitted with not having lamps in in the first place the wires behind the fog covers were tied up looked like from factory and the switch was a blank with the plug to the back of the switch behind fit switch and the switch lights up as if in operation so know there is power there so i await my task tomorrow
Old 29 April 2011, 12:47 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Alcazar is trying to suggest that you've wasted your time fitting crappy fog lights to a high performance car...
Old 29 April 2011, 12:43 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

LOL, not at all, everyone to his own, so long as it doesn't involve crappy H4 HIDs!

If they ARE foglights, they will be branded "SUBARU" somewhere on the lens.

However, dunx is right, WHY would you want them? Mine were removed and sold, replaced with driving lights less than a year after buying the car
Old 29 April 2011, 04:01 PM
obey1
Scooby Regular

Default lamps

the lamps fitted are the genuine subaru ones, and checked the relays on the sti there isnt one finished borrowed one to check and hey presto ive no got DRIVING LAMPS so no need a relay
Old 29 April 2011, 05:15 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by obey1
the lamps fitted are the genuine subaru ones, and checked the relays on the sti there isnt one finished borrowed one to check and hey presto ive no got DRIVING LAMPS so no need a relay
Errrrrrrrrrr, no, you have foglights

Foglights have a very wide, flat beam, supposed to penetrate UNDER fog and illuminate the sides of the road. They are supposed to be used WITH dipped headlights, but only in fog, or falling snow, ie: inclement conditions. Their use outside those conditions is prohibited by law, and can carry a £60 fine and 3 points if you meet a stroppy cop.

One of their problems is that they are NOT linked to the headlight dipswitch, just the lights, so they have to be manually switched: not that safe

Driving lights, aka spotlights, however, have an oval beam designed to illuminate the far reaches of your vision, like main beam headlamps, although the misnomer "spotlights" is used, these actually have a very long range "spot" or "pencil" beam.

They must, by law, be linked to the dipswitch, so that, if chosen, they will come on ONLY with main beam, and go off with dip beam: far safer, no switch to find and operate, just the dipswitch stalk.
Old 29 April 2011, 11:23 PM
obey1
Scooby Regular

Default light

ok fog lights, i dont use as driving lamps anyway only fitted because my wife drives alot on the motorway to work and just making a little safer lights wise
Old 30 April 2011, 10:09 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Fair enough.