Notices

Brand New 2011 STi Sport - won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2011, 06:50 PM
Steve1138
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand New 2011 STi Sport - won't start

just got a brand new 2011 WRX STi 4-door Sport 3 days ago - and now it won't start.
I'm sure its smthg I did today.
I drove out of the garage and parked out front, and then mounted the emergency torch (with combination glass hammer & seat belt cutter) from the 1999 turbo I'd just sold, back onto the passenger side transmission tunnel carpet.
(I'm in Switzerland so it's left hand drive).

The torch sits in a plastic support which you pin to the carpet with two backward facing sharp prongs which you push into the carpet, and another set of prongs which you then slide out fom the clip in the opposite direction, to pin the clip into the carpet in two directions.

An hour later I wanted take the Mrs. for her first spin: did the countdown 5-4-3-2-1... all engines [not] running !... and all I get is solenoid / relay clicks.

On the dashboard: the instruments fire up but The Taco was blank, the engine tune indicator (for switching between economy & the 2 sports modes) and the center diff adjustment were all unlit - and (here's the other clue) - the solenoid / relay clicks were coming from behind the carpet on the transmission tunnel where I pinned the damned torch mount !
Of course I've removed the dammed thing now and I definitely feel smthg behind the carpet.

Me thinks I've either shorted some wires (worst case) and maybe burned out a component, or more likely - pushed a relay off one or more connectors and broken some circuits.

also - the central looking from the key remote is completely dead, so had to lock all doors manually.

Anyone know what's under the carpet on the newer models (STi specifically) and can offer any condolensces before I have to report back to my dealer first thing Monday morning ?

cheers
Steve
Old 12 February 2011, 07:25 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

In that area there is part of the RH rear harness that runs from the passenger seat (seat heaterR44,power seatR109 and Air bag AB24) to the SI unitR33 and media adaptorR34 and forward to the ABS control moduleAB18.

Last edited by Don Clark; 12 February 2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old 12 February 2011, 08:50 PM
Steve1138
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Don for commenting.
Any further thoughts whether a sharp metal pin through the wiring harness would blow smthg (with ignition on, as I was trying to start the car) or whether there's actually one of those relays under the carpet along the transmission tunnel ?
The relay clicking seemed to be coming that area (but it could have been under the dash and I just assumed it was coming from the area where I pinned that dam torch mount.
Steve
Old 13 February 2011, 02:14 PM
Steve1138
Scooby Newbie

All fuses OK.
Battery went flat overnight... so definitely smthg wrong.
Steve
Old 13 February 2011, 10:32 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

Depending upon where exactly you fitted your emergency tool, it looks as if you will either have to lift the carpet and/or remove the centre console to find whats there.

Think its the dealer in the morning.
Old 03 March 2011, 06:32 AM
Steve1138
Scooby Newbie

this is all rather embarassing..!
it turned out to be a low battery !
Just a coincidence that after I'd driven it out of the underground garage and parked out front for a couple of hours that the charge had dropped low enough to not power up the various systems and be enough to start it.

Left it with dealer while away in UK and US and they said there WERE no wires under the carpet at that position (it was sound insulation material)

So - no problem... am driving again

Steve