Notices

Headlight alignment

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2011, 08:41 PM
Tazman861
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight alignment

Can anyone post a guide on setting up headlights? I have a 96 classic with awful headlights and I have fitted a better set from fleabay however, they need setting up. I have the kickups visable on both lights but the left light is lower than the drivers side but I dont know which one is correct. Also where should the kickup be for each light? straight ahead, to the left, both at the same point?

Loads of questions!!!

Thanks
Old 31 January 2011, 09:49 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

A few questions there so lets starts with the kickups. They should both be on the left, and with the car standing about ten feet from a wall/garage door, they should be about three feet apart. The CENTRE of each light should be eqwual distance from car centre line and approx dead centre for where the light actualy is, ie: shining dead ahead.

Stand the car about ten feet from a wall, mark where the horizontal part of the dip beam is, NOT the kickup, and then screw in, or out the adjusters, noting which way the light moves, up, or down. It's easier to do one at a time, covering the other with a draped towel works.

Set the dips so that they are equal height, just below the ACTUAL height of the lights, measured from the floor, as shone on the wall. ie: measure height up wall and it should be just BELOW actual light height.

I often find it easier to go to a straight, level road and set up the main beams, once they are done the dips are often right. Do it the same way, one at a time, just set them to give max light straight ahead.

Or: pay an MoT station to set them

HTH
Old 01 February 2011, 04:59 PM
Tazman861
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That makes sense, i will give it a go but if not i will get them set at a garage - it has passed an MOT with the lights in their current positions so I am not too keen on using garages
Old 01 February 2011, 06:10 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

LOL, doesn't surprise me, given the number of cars I see daily with badly aligned lights