Notices

Newage folding mirrors wiring

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2011, 04:16 PM
mike wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newage folding mirrors wiring

Firstly apologises if theres another thread about thus but ive only got net on phone at the mo so everything takes alot of work lol
anyway ive bought some electric folding mirrors from a jap sti with switch but was just wondering whats involved in wiring them to suit? Weather that be off the switch or just off the ignition, does anyone know of a wiring diagram for them or anything?

Mike
Old 09 January 2011, 06:16 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

It's a piece of cake mate. You can do it without, but a neater job can be done if you get hold of some of the FEMALE connectors in the switch, and mirror, plastic wiring connectors. I went to a local scrappy and got two large ones for the switch end, and four small ones for the mirror end. Get them with about 15cm of wire on. They can be removed from their plastic housing using a sharp pointed object, I used a thicker needle. Alternatively, www.vehiclewiringproducts.co.uk sell them, but you'll need to measure the existing ones.

If you now compare the old, non-folding, switch underside with the new, folding one, you will see where to place the two larger connectors. Only two are needed. There are only two extra terminals

Ditto at the mirror end: note the two extra connectors AT THE MIRROR. Plug the new mirrors into the EXISTING wiring, which now has the two new "tails hanging out.

Now, working on one side at a time, using spare lengths of wire, try connecting each of the newly placed SWITCH terminal tails to each of the spare MIRROR terminal tails, operate the switch and watch the mirror. Once you have it in your mind what combination does it correctly, wite it down and repeat for the other side.
You need BOTH wires connected to get the mirror to fold This is trial and error, but with only TWO terminals at either end, you can't do any damage: if you get it wrong it just folds in when it should fold out, etc.

Now replace your temporary wires with permanent wires of the correct thickness, soldered and heat-shrinked, run behind the dash.

The only truly difficult part is feeding them throuigh the door grommet and the A-pillar grommet, but it can be done by first producing a hole, (screwdriver etc), then threading a piece of STIFF wire with the required wires taped to it, and pulling it through. My wires are zip-tied to the existing loom at that point. My stiff wire was old wire coathanger.

It's ALMOST simpler to do than to describe. If you need more help, PM me, I can either give you a number, resort to e-amil or if you are close enough, you can bring it.
HTH
Old 10 January 2011, 08:21 PM
mike wrx
Scooby Regular

Brilliant mate thanks for that il have a dabble at weekend 1 thing that seems weird though is the cables coming off the mirror theres 5 of them...the same as there was on the non folding i removed...but im sure il sus it.
Old 23 January 2011, 06:18 PM
mike wrx
Scooby Regular

Well attempted to get them fitted and working yesterday but came across 1 problem......the electric folding in mirrors ive bought i dont actualy think are electric fold in :s the connection plug is exactly the same as the mirror ive removed with same amount of cables coming from them (5) and even same cable colours... Not a happy bunny ((
Old 23 January 2011, 07:18 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Doesn't sound good.
The ones I took moff mine had iirc three cables, the ones that went on, five.
Old 24 January 2011, 05:16 PM
mike wrx
Scooby Regular

What shape was that? Hmmmmm
Old 24 January 2011, 05:43 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Classic. Mine is a 98 UK car, didn't have them, got some off of Darms on here, had them sprayed and fitted them myself.
Old 02 September 2011, 05:26 PM
scoobmyster
Scooby Newbie

Default Folding Mirrors

I have also purchased a set of folding mirrors for my uk 2005 wrx blobeye, would appreciate some help, the mirrors are identical but the connector on the jdm mirrors is a different size to the original ones so I would have to cut off the connector on the original mirror and connect it onto the jdm ones, but I dont have a clue about the wiring on them. Any help would be great.
Old 03 September 2011, 12:18 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Can you post pics of both? And make sure we can see what wires/colours are in them?

TBH, it's not rocket science, the folding is only done by two wires, when current flows one way they open, when it flows the other way, they close.
Old 04 September 2011, 06:48 PM
scoobmyster
Scooby Newbie

Default mirror connectors

Hi there,

Here is my original connector that is on the current mirrors,

Here is the connector on the jdm mirrors,

here is the switch I purchased in order to get the button for opening and closing the mirrors.

any help to get this wired up would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Mark
Old 04 September 2011, 07:16 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Can't see any pics, did you gwet them hosted on the net? photobucket?
Old 04 September 2011, 07:29 PM
scoobmyster
Scooby Newbie

Hi Mate, it wont let me put the pics in for some reason, I have put them in the photo gallery.
Old 04 September 2011, 08:26 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

You have to get pics hosted on an internet site first, like Photobucket, THEN you post the url/link to the pics here, after clicking the pic logo on your reply.
Old 04 September 2011, 09:25 PM
scoobmyster
Scooby Newbie

Default folding mirrors

Hi Mate, tried to post them that way aswell, something wrong with my laptop, I have posted them in the photo gallery called mirror connectors
Old 05 September 2011, 12:03 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Those photos are FAR too big, you could have got them smaller........LOL

So............from what I can see, the switch is identical to the one I fitted. Looking at the connector that goes to it, are there any EMPTY spaces on the connector where there ARE pins on the switch rear? If so, you are going to have some wiring to do. If not, you are well on with it.

Now the two connectors. From the pics, it's not obvious which one is off the mirrors, and which on the loom on the door. BUT: there would appear to be the SAME number of connectors on both, in a group of three and a pair? If it were me, I'd have the pins OUT of the mirror connector, and TRY them in the same grouping. I'd think it will be that the three are mirror up/dow/side to side, and the pair are open/close.

If you had a circuit tester, you could fit the switch, and use the ct to check that at least ONE of the pair is live in each position, open/close.

Then it's trial and error really.
Old 05 September 2011, 05:20 PM
scoobmyster
Scooby Newbie

Default folding mirrors

Hi, the pics are from the mirror side, the black connector is the current mirrors on the car, the white connector is on the jdm mirrors which dont fit into the door wiring loom, from what I have found out,on the jdm white connector the brown & red wires are the fold in & fold out wires, but what will the two dark geen wires be on the current black connector be for? Also what pins will need connected from the switch?

Last edited by scoobmyster; 05 September 2011 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05 September 2011, 05:55 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

As I said, I THINK the wires' grouping helps.

The THREE together, will be for up/down/left/right.

That leaves the TWO together for open/close.

The system seems to use a PAIR of wires with current flowing one way for open and the opposite way for close.

That means that the THREE together are doing the same. Let's call them 1, 2 and 3.

So, if current flows 1>2, the mirror moves up, if it flows 2>1 it moves down.
Then if current flows 3>2 it moves left, and 2>3 it moves right.

Does that make sense?

Now at the switch, you MAY not have to do anything. All you need to do is check that when the NEW switch is plugged onto the existing connector from the old switch, that there are NO pins on the switch WITHOUT wires in the connector. If there aren't, you are OK, with nothing to do.

If, however, if there are pins on the switch with no wires going to them, (there may be two), THOSE are the ones you'll need to connect to and run four wires, one pair to the left hand door mirror, the other pair to the right, a pair being one to each empty pin.

The above was what I had to do on mine, but someone else doing the same on a newage found that all the wiring was in place from switch to door connector, with only the mirror to modify.

If it would help to talk to me, PM me and I'll send you a phone number.
Old 05 September 2011, 06:08 PM
scoobmyster
Scooby Newbie

Default folding mirrors

Cheers Mate, your an absolute star, I will give this a bash over the next few days and let you know how I get on.
Old 05 September 2011, 08:49 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Ask for a phone number if you get stuck, or can't see what you need to do, I'm usually here.
Old 04 September 2013, 10:43 PM
t79boy
Scooby Regular

Just bought some as well but the wires on the mirror side have been cut without the connector . What type of connector do I need ?