More heater woes!

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2010, 03:26 PM
juss2309
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More heater woes!

Dear All,
I'm a new member here but I've been lurking for a while!

I've got a frustrating problem with my '98 Impreza wagon (2.0 non-turbo) heating - I've checked the forum for other related threads but nothing seems to quite match my situation:

A couple of weeks ago the heater blower started to be tempremental and would sometimes run even if the ignition was off! Now it doesn't work at all apart from very occasionally when it will spring into life but stop blowing after a couple of seconds.

I've pulled the fan and replaced it with a new one (I thought this was the issue!). When I fitted the new fan it ran to start with but the speed kept rising and falling - it wasn't constant at all. Then it stopped after 10-15 seconds and wouldn't go again.
I can hear the relay 'click' under the dash when I use the switch.
I have 12v going into the back of the switch.
Fuse is fine.

My first thought was that the fan speed resistor was faulty but I can't find it!! It isn't where it is according to the threads I've searched on here and my fan appears to be a different shape (it's flat on the bottom) - it definately isn't behind the glovebox - anyone know where I can find it? EDIT: Having dismantled my old fan I now realise that the resistor circuit is built into the base of the fan unit.

Quite frankly I'm stumped, car electrics don't usually faze me but I'm fed up with going around in circles.

I'm now thinking that the relay must be faulty although I do hear a clicking sound from near the fuse panel (drivers side) when I use the fan switch - can anyone tell me if I'm barking up the wrong tree?

Any help gratefully received!

Justin

Last edited by juss2309; 18 November 2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old 18 November 2010, 06:13 PM
juss2309
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bad form to reply to my own post I know

Just been out for a run in the car and the blower is working again - I even tried to slide it up to 2 and it got faster!

Going to see if it fires up in the morning, hopefully OK now!

Justin