Notices

Intermittent starting problem, anyone else had similar?

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2010, 03:11 AM
BigBadDavid
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent starting problem, anyone else had similar?

I have recently picked up a 2001MY Bugeye WRX which, overall, is bloody brilliant. However, it has an intermittent starting problem. Before I return to the garage I bought it from to get them to have look at it (which is a bit of a mission), I thought I'd see if anyone else has had a similar problem.

It has the factory-fit CAT1 alarm. The alarm fob disables the alarm and unlocks the car. The LED on the dash is steadily illuminated, showing that the car will (should) start once the key is turned. Mostly it starts as expected, but often when I turn the key, nothing. The ignition turns on, there are no warning lights and the battery is fully charged, but it refuses to go any further. I haven't triggered the CAT1 time-out because the dashboard LED is on until I put the key in the ignition and I usually start it within 30 seconds of unlocking anyway. After re-locking and unlocking it a couple of times it usually decides it will start, sometimes it is enough the press the immobiliser fob button a couple of times. I've always got it started so at this stage it's simply a nuisance, but I am concerned there's an underlying issue I need to get addressed before my three months P+L warranty expires.

Any ideas??
Old 14 September 2010, 09:08 AM
John 37
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

It could be a fault on the starter circuit or the imobilser. If you park on a slope and can get the fault to occur, see if the car will bump start (roll down the slope and let up the clutch in second). If it starts, it's the starter. If it won't look at the imobilser.
I assume there's no interlocks with things like gearbox on your car.

John
Old 14 September 2010, 09:35 AM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

you are pressing the clutch pedal before you try to start arent you ?
I know a member who didnt know and thought the same, he only pressed the clutch if it was in gear, if he was faffing about and it was in neutral he didnt.
Old 14 September 2010, 09:19 PM
BigBadDavid
Scooby Newbie

...the clutch...good point, I think you might be right, thanks scoobynewbie72!!! Serves me right for driving a tiptronic FTO for the last three years.
Old 15 September 2010, 10:40 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

This one is going to run and run.........a bit like, "Why do my sidelights stay on?" and "Why doesn't my boot open from inside the car any more?"