Volts

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2010, 09:32 AM
help2003
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volts

Help

For the past couple of weeks when driving the volts will drop down to say 12v and the car will play up, like the engine has cut out, but them comes back fine,

i have changed the fuel pump, changed coil pack, changed alternator for a second had one, changed spark plugs, and a new battery, changed MAF, changed air filter, changed O2 sensor, and changed Fuel relay as that died the other day,

I have checked the block connctor under the back seat and that all looks fine, but am lost now.
Old 23 April 2010, 05:09 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Have you had any random work done on the car ?

The reason I ask, a lad with a sick 205 who refitted his heater with the wrong screws, and they stuck into his main harness.....

No help to you ! Sorry !

dunx

dunx
Old 23 April 2010, 05:55 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Check fan belt tension, battery connection tightness, and get both battery and alternator checked out by an auto electrician.
Old 24 April 2010, 09:57 AM
P600wrx
Scooby Regular

check engine earth straps, and do a load test on the alternator, basically start car with nothing turned on, check voltage then switch everything on you can and check it again, also check the levels in the battery
Old 24 April 2010, 11:29 AM
help2003
Scooby Regular

just got alternator checked, and its only running around 12v on idle and got told by a subaru mechanic that the alternator should always run some charge to the battery on idle, and if its playing up while driving you dont have enough power from the battery to power coil pack, fuel pump etc, and thats why its cutting out and jumping around.

thats what you get for buying second hand ones lol, only thing i have done is changed the alternator belt before, but i could not get the right size had to get one couple of mm shorter.

How do you know when the tension is right on the belt??
Old 02 May 2010, 09:06 PM
help2003
Scooby Regular

and its still bloody playing up, with a new alternator,

really getting pissed off now, volts keep droping and some times the fuel cuts out, i cant even go and fill the car with fuel as everytime i have it wont start again on the for court
Old 02 May 2010, 11:19 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

How proficient are you with a multi-meter?
You need to do a volts drop test between alternator and battery positive and a volts drop test between the engine block and battery negative. This is doing a no volts test, as you do not want to see any voltage indicated on either test. If you do show a voltage then there is a high resistance in that circuit. It will most likely be between the block and the battery negative. To confirm this, if you have a set of jump leads connect one end to the block (alternator mounting) and the other to the battery negative to see if this fixes it. If so find the earth lead from the block to the chassis or battery negative and remove and clean with sandpaper. Once clean put a thin smear of copper based grease on the connections to prevent corrosion. Also check between the body of the alternaor and the battery negative as there could be corrosion in where the alternator bolts to the mounting and the mounting bolts to the block.
Hope this helps, pity you are not near Lincoln.

Last edited by 360ste; 02 May 2010 at 11:20 PM. Reason: spelling opops when half cut.
Old 03 May 2010, 11:09 PM
help2003
Scooby Regular

wow, cheers for that, shall have ago tomorrow lunch time, am not that good with one but i shall bloody well try,
Old 05 May 2010, 12:21 AM
help2003
Scooby Regular

well i think your on the money, i checked with the pos on battery and the neg onto the engine block and it read, 14 something,. but when i placed the neg back into the battery i was only getting 12 something

cleaned up all the earth points, and while chasing the last earth wire which goes to the starter motor the bracket was bloody lose, so tighted it up and quickly checked the battery again and it gave me 14 something, but had to go back to work, so will run more tests tomorrow at lunch time.

but this could be all my problems in the 1st place, as the garage took the starter motor off to do the gearbox, so after changing the alternator belt, the coil pack, the battery, the alternator twice, the maf, spark plugs, air filter, it looks like its all down to the lose earth wire to the starter motor,

time will tell.
Old 05 May 2010, 12:42 AM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

hope it is mate. sounds like its been a right nightmare.
Old 05 May 2010, 08:00 AM
P600wrx
Scooby Regular

subaru = crap cars for earthing faults
Old 05 May 2010, 10:25 AM
trogg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by help2003
so after changing the alternator belt, the coil pack, the battery, the alternator twice, the maf, spark plugs, air filter, it looks like its all down to the lose earth wire to the starter motor,

time will tell.

Think of all the spares you now have