HELP!!!...this is doing my head in!!

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2002, 07:46 AM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Please reply, I need your help .....

I've got a UK MY99 Impreza with the Sigma M30 alarm.

My car is in the garage but the night before last I heard the alarm giving off a series of beeps between every 5 to 15 minutes.
The beeps are the same as what you hear if you set the alarm with a door not being shut properly when you set it.

When i got up and checked the car, the voltage was reading 11.9 volts, so started the car and ran it. The voltage whilst charging was 15 volts which i thought was a bit high. After a while it came back to 14.4 volts.

Last night and this morning, it's doing the same thing again but the beeps are in a series, for example 10 beeps, gap,2 beeps, gap, 5 beeps etc but is in a random order each time.
I checked the volts again and are sitting at 11.9 volts so thought it was beeping as a warning that the battery is low, but with the battery charger on and it's gauge showing the battery is okay within a few minutes, it is still beeping.

I can't see any relevance but the only thing that has changed recently is i have disconnected and removed one rear light lense. The alarm has not been set because i didn't want the alarm going off if any wind were to blow into the back of the car and set it off. The car however is locked.
The other thing before all this started is the battery cells were low, (not dry), so topped up and charged the battery cause the car isn't used that often.

Do i have more than one problem?
Is the alternator overcharging? ( cause of the low fluid level in the battery, and 15 volts when running)
What can i do about the beeping? It's quite loud and i don't really want to disconnect the battery every night?

HELP!!!!
Old 04 January 2002, 08:43 AM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Angry

Is there anybody out there that can help me on this?

Thanks

A
Old 04 January 2002, 09:50 AM
ChrisB

Doesn't ring any bells (haven't had it on my MY99). You called into a dealer and asked?
Old 04 January 2002, 02:14 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Have just found out the problem is with the backup battery in the alarm but you can't change it, so a new sounder is required.

Take a note of this thread peeps, cause this fault also caused 2 car batteries to go flat. The car battery was constantly trying to charge the battery in the alarm which wouldn't take a charge.

FYI my car is 2 1/2 years old, so those with a UK car of this age may want to check your alarm to see if the backup battery is failing.

For example, if someone were to try and steal your car and cut the main battery cable to disable the alarm, normally the sigma m30 would operate the sounder but if the backup battery is goosed, no noise will come out.

A