Notices

wrx elec windows

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2010, 08:19 PM
demon_dald
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wrx elec windows

MY96 imported wrx elec windows decided they wanted to pack up overnight ie i closed them then the next morning they wouldnt come down (eventually got them down with a bit of persistance....) press whichever of the window switches and all you hear is a clicking sound coming from the switch unit...

i suspected earthing. however i have both feed and earth to door plug and feeding each window individually all 4 go up and down, which tells me all wiring and connections are ok through vehicle? (if a bit slow but i blame japs for that!!) need some luuube!

tried another switch unit from scrappie and it diddnt change anything, not a sasuage? (not garunteed this wasnt a dodgy unit though)

anyone got any ideas? just out of interest can anyone tell me where the windy relay is etc ive not looked yet but everythings in jap. and not overly helpful!

thanks guys.

dale.
Old 28 March 2010, 03:48 PM
P600wrx
Scooby Regular

it will be the window unit in the drivers door,it controls all the windows there is no extra relays anywhere else in the car, i have 1 in good working order,

there are 2 wire's per window, there will be 2 wires that are just power and ground, check the loom through the door it could have a break in it, also as on mine 96 wrx remove the kick trim, there is a white plug with the wire's in it mine had corroded so i cut the plug out and soldered them bypassing the plug.............
Old 01 April 2010, 08:05 PM
demon_dald
Scooby Regular

thanks for reply mate. yeh both earth and feeds are there, like i said all windows work from me probing them, struggle to see it being a break as they buzz out but i will check again anyway incase of a partial break or something. it just baffled me when i tried the different one and it still did it.... you say you have a spare any chance you could message me with a pic and price etc please just to be sure its the right one.

thanks chap.
Old 01 April 2010, 11:14 PM
P600wrx
Scooby Regular

hi dale, have you had a butchers at the plug in the drivers kick panel, i bet the connections are all oxydized and green, caused resitence in the loom, mine did exactly the same they broke while i was in bed lol, it's a white plug with 8 thick wires in it, there will be and igniton live and ground and the other 6 wires are for the 3 remaining windows 2 for each,

if you need a piccy let me know

mark
Old 03 April 2010, 08:30 PM
demon_dald
Scooby Regular

thanks chap, yeh does sound about right. amazing what cars do on theyre own over night! im busy moving house at the mo so hopefully il get a chance to look at it next week, until then il just put up with opening the door to speak to people.....

thanks again. will post up when i get to the bottom of it...
Old 03 May 2010, 09:19 PM
demon_dald
Scooby Regular

one word. BALLACHE. thanks for the heads up guys, after much investigation i narrowed my problem down the the n/s of the car, i ended up having the passenger seat and carpets up along with all the n/s trim. about 2 hours after starting the work i managed to find the problem. it was what i can only describe as an earth connector or switching relay?? which is 1 of 2 under the carpet under the passengers seat and it was bright green with corrosion (not the best place to put electrics right next to the floor breather!) rewired with plenty of elec grease and heatshrink its now spot on. just thought id stick this up incase anyone else in the near future has a similar problem and does a search..