Front Fog Light Assistance Required

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2010, 07:31 PM
s7ewt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Fog Light Assistance Required

Hi All,

I am hoping for some assistance with some front foglights for my face lift classic.

The car was originally fitted with the PIAA prodrive setup.
I thought that I would be able to remove the PIAA wiring and to just plug in a set of Subaru fog lights in to the existing Subaru loom.

Well, I did and nothing happened. Is any one able to advise why the plugs for the fog lights are not live.

thanks
Old 13 March 2010, 08:33 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

If the PIAA's were driving lights then the wiring will be set up so the PIAA's came on only with the full beams via the switch. Try this with your fogs. Someone with more technical know-how will have to explain what you need to change to revert them to fog wiring whereby they come on with sides/dipped & full via the switch.
Old 16 March 2010, 07:27 AM
s7ewt
Scooby Regular

mmm... So there is nobody that knows how the OEM foglights or P1 driving lights are wired up?
Old 16 March 2010, 07:53 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

On classics, there was a wiring guide, "How to.........." that came with the driving lights, in which one wire had to be broken/cut and another linked to. I didn't use that method, so haven't got it.

Try an e-mail or phone call to Prodrive, see if they could supply an original set of instructions, then undo whatever was done.
Old 16 March 2010, 01:11 PM
trogg
Scooby Regular

One question.

Why?
Old 16 March 2010, 02:34 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Because he wants to go back to fogs, and use the driving lights on his new car?

Because his driving light refectors are fekked, as PIAA ones do, and he can't find/afford any new PIAA's?
Old 16 March 2010, 02:59 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

As mentioned, PIAA's get the feed from your full beams/flashers. So there will be some wiring coming off the headlight bulb, going to the PIAA relay, then to the PIAA's. It will just be a a case of following it back. I think the easiest thing you could do is remove the feed from the headlight bulb, and connect that to a live. Then you don't have to use the fogs with the full beam.
Old 16 March 2010, 05:49 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

If you bought a Subaru kit of PIAAs, though, there was a wiring mod that allowed the foglight SWITCH to control the new driving lights, but still have them relayed. That's what I'm getting at.
Old 16 March 2010, 06:33 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Driving lights have to be switchable and must only be selectable in conjunction with the main beam, and the usual route is to utilise the fog switch, as the driving lights tend to replace the fogs. Fogs must also be switchable, but come on with everything from sides to mains, although using fogs legitimately with mains would be silly due to light bounce-back.

I'm no auto electrician, but I'd guess that the fog switch should take a feed from the side-light circuit when being used as foglights. When being used with DL's I'd guess the switch should take its feed from the main beam circuit.
Old 16 March 2010, 06:58 PM
s7ewt
Scooby Regular

Further investigation shows that the PIAA feed to the switch is taken off of the main beams, as expected. This wire runs in to the switch, when the switch is pressed the signal then passes down another wire that is the feed that energises that PIAA relay, turning them on.

I can just wire up the system independently, but I think that is strange considering the, relay is present (I believe, if it is the one with the pink plug to the right hand side of the fuses which are behind the coin tray), so is the switch, wiring down to the fog / driving light location. I would much prefer to do it properly using existing wiring rather than the 'hack n slash' approach (no offence intended to any one)
Where the PIAA wire feeds in to and out of the switch, this has made two other wires redundant. One is purple and the other is yellow, both with the OEM connector to fit in to the plug of the fog light swith.
My assumption was that one would be the feed in to the switch and the other the output to energise the OEM relay. Not so, both tested live when the side light were activated. Which of course totally threw out my theory, which is when I turned in defeat to fellow Scoobynetters.
Old 16 March 2010, 11:43 PM
Postman Pat
Scooby Regular

I don't have PIAAs fitted but if they are fitted after the car is delivered to the dealer there should be a plug in each hole behind the fog lights (ie in the bumper/inner wing area). These should plug into your fog lights and are operated through the switch in the dash. When I fitted my driving lights I used 2 relays. One of the dash switch (using the wire down at the plug end) so I could turn the lights off at will and the other off main beam so that they only operated on main beam. Maybe there is a cleverer/different way to do this but I would have thought all you have to do is get rid of all the extraneous wiring to revert to normal. I certainly set up my system that way in case I wanted to revert back ie if I ever sell the car.
Old 17 March 2010, 07:39 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I did the same as Postman Pat. Two relays. Only had one problem in 8 years, when one of the relays got water in it and rusted solid. All my relays are now sealed with Araldite
Old 17 March 2010, 02:52 PM
s7ewt
Scooby Regular

Thanks to everyone that has posted, much appreciated.

I still don't seem to be closer to the solution. Does any one know how the standard foglights are wired up and how the P1 driving lights are wired too?

Again I assume, as I do not know. But I thought the feed for the switch would come from the sidelights for the fogs and the main beam for the driving lights. When the button is pressed, this closes the circuit, allowing the energising of that OEM relay (near the fuses I think) when the appropriate light source is selected and ta da we have light.

There should not be any further relay requirement mmm....
Old 18 March 2010, 08:08 PM
s7ewt
Scooby Regular

After some more investigation I have some more facts.
The relay is to the right of the fuses behind the coin tray. It has a 12 volt positive from the front fog light fuse, a feed from the light switch which is live when the side lights are on. The connecting wire to the actual fog lights and an earth.
The relay energises from the feed from the side lights and the earth. I have not found how to switch the earth.
Can anyone confirm the wire colours on their UK classic front fog switch to help me out?

cheers
Old 18 March 2010, 09:52 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Probably a wiring guide in one of the manuals: https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...93-2008-a.html
Old 19 March 2010, 07:53 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by s7ewt
Thanks to everyone that has posted, much appreciated.

I still don't seem to be closer to the solution. Does any one know how the standard foglights are wired up and how the P1 driving lights are wired too?
Page 73/74 of the P1 supplement.................................
https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...ants-them.html