Notices

spot lights

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2009, 03:36 PM
mag6/4 2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spot lights

i am goin to change fogs for spots and whould like to use the dash switch so i can have the options of spots or no spots when the main beam is on any ideas how to do this
cheers
chris
Old 01 February 2009, 07:19 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mag6/4 2
i am goin to change fogs for spots and whould like to use the dash switch so i can have the options of spots or no spots when the main beam is on any ideas how to do this
cheers
chris
"First, order/buy your bits.
As I've said before, a good source is Vehicle Wiring Products Ltd. Suppliers of auto electrical parts.. Not the cheapest, but everything from one place, delivered to your door.

You will need:
Two relays, (one type R20B, one type R30AF).
A blade fuse, size depending on PIAA bulbs, (2x55W= 15A,2x100W=20A, 2x130W=25A).

Some spade terminals, (about 20, type FB6).
Soft plastic covers for above, (type FBI6).

Some ring terminals, (about 6, type R6).

Cable: Around 5m of 14/030 in black and two other colours, (1m black, and 2m of each other colour).

Around 7m of 28/030 in black and two other colours, (3m black, 1m red, 3m any other colour).

Two Scotchlok type connectors, (type C560).

One "Piggyback" type connector, (type PG).

My relays sit side-by-side on top of the battery, and have given no trouble, although I DO recommend sealing them along the top-to-base line with a smear of Araldite or similar.

You also need a simple circuit tester: mine has a brass body, with a sharp point at one end, used to pierce insulation, and a lead with a crocodile clip at the other end. It's similar to Ref 101740A on the VWP site, but mine was bought locally for a couple of quid.

What to do:

1. Start by finding the wire which is LIVE when the foglight switch is on, working behind the place the n/s foglight was in. Remember, neither will be live if the sidelights/headlights aren't on too

2. Scotchlok a length of the thinner wire, not black, to this, and lead it up towards the relay site you have chosen.

3. Connect this wire to the UNFUSED relay, terminal 85....don't forget the terminal cover goes on to the cable BEFORE crimping the terminal, then slides into place.This applies each time you use a spade terminal.

4. Now connect a length of the thinner black wire to the same relay terminal 86, and from there, to an earth, or battery -ve, via a ring terminal.

5. Get a friend to operate the foglight switch while you check that the relay clicks.

6. Now use your circuit tester to find which wire is live behind the n/s headlight when main beam is selected, but NOT live when dip is chosen. Again, the help of a friend is useful here.

7. Scotchlok another length of the thinner wire, not black, to this, and lead it to the UNFUSED relay terminal 30.

8. Finally, for that relay, connect a further length of the thinner wire, not black, from UNFUSED relay terminal 87 to FUSED relay terminal 85.

9. Now check BOTH relays. The UNFUSED one you've done, but the fFUSED one should click when you select main beam AND when you turn the foglight switch off/on.

10. Now working with the FUSED relay, connect another length of the thinner black wire from it's terminal 86 to earth or battery -ve, again using a ring terminal.

11. Connect TWO lengths of the thicker wire from the FUSED relay terminal 87 one to each of the PIAA bulbs, using the Piggyback connector at the relay.

12. Connect each PIAA lamp to earth using the black thicker wire, suitable terminals, and a ring terminal at the earth end, Use a separate wire for each earth, do not combine earths

13. Finally, use a short-ish length of the thicker red wire to connect battery +ve via a ring terminal, to the FUSED relay terminal 30.

14. Insert a suitable fuse in the fused relay fuseholder, and try the lights.

Alls you have to do now is set them up, and enjoy

HTH, Alcazar, (Jeff).

I'd copy this, print it off, and follow it as you work on the car, cross each bit off as you do it, take your time, ensure all crimps are tight etc.

Takes about an hour to do.
"

This is what Jeff (Alcazar) sent me when i wanted to do mine ...hope it helps
Old 01 February 2009, 09:31 PM
mag6/4 2
Scooby Regular

thanks mate
Old 03 February 2009, 09:11 AM
scoobian
Scooby Regular

if the fogs are already on teh car, then simply disconnect the wiring, remove the lights, replace with the new spot lights and connect the wiring as previous

the fogs work off a dash switch anyway ...so just switch them on whenever you like
Old 03 February 2009, 10:58 AM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobian
if the fogs are already on teh car, then simply disconnect the wiring, remove the lights, replace with the new spot lights and connect the wiring as previous

the fogs work off a dash switch anyway ...so just switch them on whenever you like
Well, yes...........except that it's illegal to do so

Driving lights, (spotlights, mainbeams) MUST be wire so as to extinguish when dip beam is selected. Lighting Regs.

And even if you aren't bothered about a possible pull from the dibble, it's FAR easier to have them wired through the mainbeam: just select main beam, they come on, select dip, they go off.....no need to take your hand off the wheel.

The instructions above allow you to CHOOSE whether they come on with mainbeam, or not at all
Old 03 February 2009, 11:40 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

just hard wire a relay straight in to the main beam circuit, if main are on it's very likely you'll need spots as well.

imho

dunx