Battery Problems

Search this Thread

Old 17 October 2008, 06:04 PM
markGT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Battery Problems

Hi,

I have a MY05 Blobeye STI PPP and the battery has been very temperamental over the last year. I only use the car for weekends and had a good blast on Sunday for around two hours. Needed to use the car today and it was dead as a dodo.

I have a battery pack starter so it’s easily enough to jump, however I can't carry one of them around with me all the time. So the time has come to replace the varta battery (apparently crap) for a new one. Will replacing the battery cause any problems like resetting the alarm ecu etc, or is it just a case of replacing it, resetting the clock and radio?

Forgive my ignorance on this matter; I just drive the things
Old 17 October 2008, 08:09 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just stick the new one on and reset the clock/radio.

Halford calcium ones come highly rated and with a 4 year guarantee. HCB005 iirc, and that's the one I'm now using. It'll go weeks between use and still start every time.
Old 17 October 2008, 08:25 PM
markGT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
Just stick the new one on and reset the clock/radio.

Halford calcium ones come highly rated and with a 4 year guarantee. HCB005 iirc, and that's the one I'm now using. It'll go weeks between use and still start every time.

Cheers for that. I'll pop down to my local and get a new one
Old 17 October 2008, 08:41 PM
p1junkie
Scooby Regular

if u arent using the car all week alarm and i assume tracker will be draining battery and the smart alternator wont kick in and charge up battery unless u have lights on so battery will get flater and flatter
Old 18 October 2008, 09:11 AM
markGT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by p1junkie
if u arent using the car all week alarm and i assume tracker will be draining battery and the smart alternator wont kick in and charge up battery unless u have lights on so battery will get flater and flatter
Cheers for the info. I never lock the car or put the alarm on, as I have a gearbox bolt lock, its garaged and I live in rural France so crime isn't an issue. However I have an RAC tracker on it and I've read that it doesn't go in to sleep mode for a couple of hours.

I think I'll buy a new battery 60AH one and also buy a trickle charger for during the week.
Old 19 October 2008, 12:34 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

As Japanese cars only need to last 3 years till the (MOT) I find all mine have needed a new battery within four years of purchase.

Easy fix !

DunxC
Old 19 October 2008, 06:36 PM
stiler83
Scooby Regular

Replaced mine a few years ago with a Bosch Silver 6DA, solved all my problems. These have now been replaced with the S-series. Think the one you would need would be a S4 025 (Bosch Automotive Parts - Batteries - Cars: S3 - S4 - S5) Got mine from Andrew Page.

If you don't use your car that often you may want to consider a Battery Charger/Conditioner like the Ctek XS 3600 (Find the right battery charger. Plenty of people on here use them and they can really per long the life of your battery and ever recover ones thought too be dead. Just leave it connected when the car's not in use, couldn't be simpler.