Old 20 September 2008, 09:20 PM
chris dt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID ADVICE

hi

ive fitted a set of HIDS.

what an improvement!

just cant work out how to get the dip beam a bit lower.it may be dazzling other drivers.

they r fitted into crystal lights.

any advice on adjusting beam direction would be helpfull.

chris
Old 20 September 2008, 10:59 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

There are some bolts at the back of the headlamp.

Double-check the bulbs are seated correctly first though
Old 21 September 2008, 09:27 PM
chris dt
Scooby Regular

cheers

ill have a look, think the bulbs are in ok tho.

do these bulbs sufffer with light scatter?
Old 22 September 2008, 11:01 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by chris dt

do these bulbs sufffer with light scatter?
LOL

Not the bulbs mate, the headlight reflector/lens. They are crap, and put light everywhere, so if you increase the light output, say by fitting HIDs, you're BOUND to put MORE light everywhere You can't make the light FOCUS better by changing the bulbs, (although you CAN make it focus worse)

Still, don't worry, BOB5 will be along in a moment to tell you it'll pass an MoT, so all is well

Alcazar

Last edited by alcazar; 22 September 2008 at 06:50 PM.
Old 22 September 2008, 06:26 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

So this thread is not just one sided, I would like to ad my 2 pence worth.

I did fit some HID (6000k) to my classic impreza with the factory crystal headlights and although the light out put was better, I would not see where I was going, as there was so much light scatter. Basically, as the reflector is so poor in the light unit it does a poor job of reflecting the light where it is needed - on the road in front of you and not on the hedges/trees/lamp posts - as this is want I found. Yes I did get them re aligned and still I could not see where I was going.

I got so feed up with them, that I removed the HID kit and replaced it with some 50% GE "Super Brilliance" H4 bulbs from Halfords, recommended to me by Alcazar and I have not been happier with them in. No light scatter, well there's a tiny bit, but at least I can now see where I am going at night. But I could not leave it there, oh no. I had to fit some PIAA 120W Driving lights

I got the HID kit from a Alex's GB a few years ago. Just thought I would make that point clear.
Old 22 September 2008, 07:26 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

IIRC you had some issues with fitting? Anyhow, I can't comment as they weren't our kits.

In my own experience (classic, crystal headlamps), I went from normal halogens to various uprated halogens and then onto HIDs. The HIDs were by far the best and that's what is still fitted to the car.

Currently testing some projector units for the classics, but too early to comment (alcazar will be happy )

Most people upgrade from uprated halogens to HIDs. I don't know a single customer that hasn't been happy and gone from our HIDs back to halogens.

Last edited by Aztec Performance Ltd; 22 September 2008 at 07:31 PM.
Old 22 September 2008, 07:37 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

HID kits seem to be the 'must have' car modification for 2008.

BOB, I am fully aware that your kits are really good and get lots of loverly comments, but for me I just did not like them on my classic. If I had a bugeye with the sti projectors, then I would not hesitate it getting a kit from you as they are the way forward in car lighting.

projector HID for classic's...sounds interesting.
Old 22 September 2008, 09:26 PM
chris dt
Scooby Regular

dont get me wrong they are a big improvement!

the passenger one seems to light too high.

on full beam they are so much better.

i wont be going back to halogens but may consider projectors.
Old 23 September 2008, 07:58 AM
the watchman
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

trying some projectors in my blobeye lights - been an ongoing project for some time just cant seem top get round to finishing them.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ADLIGHT004.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ADLIGHT003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ADLIGHT002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ADLIGHT001.jpg
i got it working ok on the dipped beam (bmw z4 projector) but then i got a bit too overconfident and tried to do the main beam (audi a3 projector) as well.
the beam pattern on the dipped beam was spot on. but i,m having problems aligning the two projector units.
Old 26 September 2008, 08:34 PM
chris dt
Scooby Regular

you couldnt fit that lot into a classic headlight.

nice piece of engineering tho
Old 30 September 2008, 10:05 PM
CEL
Scooby Regular

Hmmm... so, the general consensus of opinion is that the HID conversion kits don't work too well in classic lamps?

Anyone tried to put them in Morettes?
Old 01 October 2008, 10:10 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

If you mean GENUINE Morettes for the classic, which use Cibie light units, you'll have minor problems with the outers, (dip/main), and won't be able to do the inners at all, since they use an H2 bulb, which no-one makes in HID

You minor problems with the outers have been well docomented on here over the last few months, but to put it in a nutshell, the H4 bulb used in them CAN'T be copied perfectly in HID, so they use a bit of a lash-up system, in which you'll get either perfect main beam/poor dip, or perfect dip/poor main beam

However, having said that, those that DO use them, (I'm not among them, being happy with my Osram Nightbreakers and HID DRIVING lights), reckon that the HID produces so much light that the poor dip, or main beam, isn't a problem.

Since the Cibie units are amongst, if not THE best units out there, you'll not have problems with scatter on whichever works perfectly............except that the HID bulb isn't perfect for that reflector, it's made for a single filament reflector. Most HID kits are made so that the dip will be perfect, (that's the bit an MoT tester will look at), it's the main beam that suffers, but see comments above re light output.

BOB5 will be along in a moment to tell you that no-one using his kits has had problems, they pass an MoT etc etc, yawn.

You make up your own mind.

Alcazar

Alcazar
Old 01 October 2008, 11:13 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

I've got a single H4 kit in my Classic Morrettes.
The normal Dipped beam is HID. Full beam is halogen on both the inner and outter lights. I also have the hella P1 driving lights which is also halogen. No problem with scatter and although the full beam is a different colour to the HID (which can be addressed with bulbs) its irrelivant as I spend most of the time using HID dipped.

Last edited by dazdavies; 01 October 2008 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01 October 2008, 11:47 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Interesting. What bulbs do you have in the outers? I've seen some that have a halogen bulb sort of glued to an HID?

Alcazar
Old 01 October 2008, 11:56 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Its a HID dipped and halogen main beam single H4 (8000k kit

The kit was given to me as a freebie. I do eventually intend to replace it with a Bi H4 kit and then get a more blue bulb for the rest.
Old 01 October 2008, 01:31 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by alcazar

You make up your own mind.

Alcazar

Alcazar
Don't take my word for it

Feedback from customers:

Originally Posted by DannyBoy007
I've a set of bob's HID's on my Classic and they are simply awesome. Dipped is at a comfortable level to see much more than the halogen bulbs but not to much to dassel other road users. I've never been flashed for using them.

Turn on High Beam and the whole road for some distance is lit which is what you need.
Originally Posted by bulletproofbob
the new kit and light produced is spot on!!! well happy, all the crap i read about HID's been no use on older scoob's is disproved!!!!
Originally Posted by exvaux
fitted mine yesterday,idiot proof doesnt even come close to describing how easy they were to fit,the ballasts are tiny,fitted easily and probably the best mod ive done to my car,i work early mornings,just realised how poor the standard lights are....now i need to do somethin about the p**s poor sidelights tho lol

Originally Posted by SupersonicRA-R
Thanks BOB...I fitted the kit on my classic and can not believe how much better these are..amazing..!

Originally Posted by andy97
Just fitted the slim hids to my bike, see part way through the difference between halogen and Xenon

[img=http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/8244/dscf3152jq3.th.jpg][img=http://img254.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif]
All fitted now into the fairing.

Bob, I'll be ordering another set in a week or so for my car

Andy
Originally Posted by frayz
Got 2 of BOB5 kits on my car and never once been flashed or had any beam problems etc.

The quality of the kits is very good IMO and i cant see any issue with them . Id highly recomend them, and i would never go back to OEM bulbs.

Originally Posted by 404BHP
Bob would like to thank you for the kit I fitted it yesterday and it it amazing how much better the lights are..The kit was really simple to install to..Great product... Can you get kits for other makes of cars?
Originally Posted by Bugeye_Scoob
Fitted mine yesterday - superb, much improved over halogen originals. Cheers Bob!
Originally Posted by codie247
Bloody hell these lights are bright!! like driving in daylight
Originally Posted by markee
Just to say car passed MOT today had no probs with lights, this has to be 1 of the best upgrades you can do.

Mark
Originally Posted by Jay m A
Fitted mine today, one hell of a difference

Originally Posted by dunx
Stuck mine on Boxing day morning, wasn't over impressed cloudy and dull.....

Came home about 9 PM., out for a spin and WOW ! so much better now.

DunxC

P.S. Many thanks BOB'5

Originally Posted by Baker

The light is so much brighter and I also think it makes the car look more modern if that makes sense.

Just have to get new sidelights now!

Thanks for the hassle free transaction
Originally Posted by taxidriver174
Cheers for the HID lights WOW i can see at night now
Originally Posted by S600B_DC
Had mine fitted today, what can I say..................

WOW what a difference great mod one of the best I have done.

Thanks for sorting BOB'5

David

Originally Posted by fluffy1970
great bit of kit.Its ok going fast but its more fun when you can see where your going.
cheers bob
Originally Posted by Bugatti
As others have said, well worth every penny spent on this mod .
Originally Posted by alanjack
Bob, many thanks,

Superb and easy to fit, i will be ordering some more

Originally Posted by markee

This has to be 1 of the best mods i have done to the car the improvement over the standard lights are phenomenal, i went out on a test drive along some country lanes & was very impressed it was like daylight especially when i put main beam on
Old 01 October 2008, 09:50 PM
CEL
Scooby Regular

Think I'm now statisfied that HID are probably not worth the hassle or expense. I'm going to buy some new lamps (all but one of them are now seriously rusted) for my GENUINE Morettes and consider some PIAA bulbs and possibly look at getting the fogs changed to driving lamps.

Anyone got any suggestions for replacing fogs with driving lights? I dont have unlimited funds so the cheaper option would be my preference. Assume there is quite a bit of messing about to do since the fogs are mounted on special brackets?

Chris
Old 01 October 2008, 10:02 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Firstly, I'd not bother with PIAA bulbs, they seem to be a lot of money for a lot of hype and have not scored well in tests. Stick with Philips, Osram or GE % uprated bulbs, which vary from 50% to 90%.

As regards driving lights, PIAA kits are worth the money, avoid Hella kits unless you can afford HID and avoid Cibie as their lights use the H2 bulb. They aren't difficult to fit or wire

Alcazar
Old 01 October 2008, 10:22 PM
CEL
Scooby Regular

I might be inclined to agree with you about the PIAA lamps, but when I bought the car it had them fitted and I have to say since one of them blew I have tried many different bulbs all of which were no where near as good as the PIAA ones.

Thats not to say I've tried them all, maybe I just need to keep trying to find a better solution!

Will look into the PIAA driving lights but fear I might need a stiff drink when I see the prices

Chris
Old 01 October 2008, 10:37 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CEL
Think I'm now statisfied that HID are probably not worth the hassle or expense. I'm going to buy some new lamps (all but one of them are now seriously rusted) for my GENUINE Morettes and consider some PIAA bulbs and possibly look at getting the fogs changed to driving lamps.

Anyone got any suggestions for replacing fogs with driving lights? I dont have unlimited funds so the cheaper option would be my preference. Assume there is quite a bit of messing about to do since the fogs are mounted on special brackets?

Chris

Get the P1 Driving lights like I did. See my earlier post for pics.
Old 02 October 2008, 06:05 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by dazdavies
Its a HID dipped and halogen main beam single H4 (8000k kit

The kit was given to me as a freebie. I do eventually intend to replace it with a Bi H4 kit and then get a more blue bulb for the rest.
I've got more or less the same set up as you daz (classic/ morette's with HID kit) except with the H4 Bi's (6000K) ...I was thinking of going to single H4's as the scatter issue returns with the Bi's, although with my 130w H2 main beams you can't really tell

Has anyone fitted a HID kit to there P1 spots?
Old 02 October 2008, 10:12 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DazW
Has anyone fitted a HID kit to there P1 spots?
That was an extra-cost option on genuine P1's.

The parts are still available, but at a price

I have the Hella 1000FF HID driving lights on mine, they use a different bracket to their halogen cousins, and are far more stable and easy to fit. Performance is awesome, far better than ANY headlights I've ever seen inc HID conversions and OE. Down to their size and design, I suppose, they were designed as rally lights. Price now would make your eyes water though

Alcazar
Old 02 October 2008, 10:47 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Pics?
Old 02 October 2008, 11:48 AM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
That was an extra-cost option on genuine P1's.

The parts are still available, but at a price

I have the Hella 1000FF HID driving lights on mine, they use a different bracket to their halogen cousins, and are far more stable and easy to fit. Performance is awesome, far better than ANY headlights I've ever seen inc HID conversions and OE. Down to their size and design, I suppose, they were designed as rally lights. Price now would make your eyes water though

Alcazar
Have someone on the Noble forum doing a front end conversion with the P1 style lights all HID said the units are around £75 each + the HID kit. mounts etc.
Old 02 October 2008, 08:48 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

A hell of a lot cheaper than a genuine P1 kit I'll tell thee.
Old 03 October 2008, 12:35 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

I have just watched this video that was posted on DW forum

YouTube - Illegal HID Convesion Kits Explained
Old 03 October 2008, 12:46 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

It's been posted before...

It's a shame that Auto Express didn't research things properly.

First off, they start off stating they are illegal, based on the DOT press release, which is NOT law and is not enforceable.

The rest is just to back up their case, which is flawed from the outset.

No issues of glare from our HID kits or any other issues. Everyone that has one of our kits seem delighted with the improvement over normal/uprated halogens.
Old 03 October 2008, 03:27 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by BOB'5

First off, they start off stating they are illegal, based on the DOT press release, which is NOT law and is not enforceable.
BOB: you keep saying this, but I'm afraid it doesn't add up. What the DoT is saying is CERTAINLY based on lighting regs, (the law) as they stand, and just because it hasn't been enforced YET, does not mean it WILL NEVER BE.

Stick to telling the truth BOB, tell the people your kits are for "offroad use only" there's a good chap.

Originally Posted by BOB'5
No issues of glare from our HID kits or any other issues. Everyone that has one of our kits seem delighted with the improvement over normal/uprated halogens.
There DO seem to be issues about glare from other kits though. Perhaps yours really are magic and can cure issues of glare from classic lights with halogens, let alone those same lights with 300W halogen equivalent HID's in place

As for improvements over halogens, well if you increase the light output 6 fold, and the colour temperature to near daylight, then I'm not surprised

Alcazar
Old 03 October 2008, 03:40 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Will you two stop bitching on every HID thread there is for christ sake.
If Bob want's to sell illegal kits let him. It's not your place to jump on every thread and have a go at him. It's also pretty damn boring to read the same sh*te from you time and time and time again.

I know the score with HID's and still chose to put them on my car. I'm sure that everbody else does too. If people do have an issue then its between them and Bob to sort not for you to spout your bloody boring nonsense over and over.

Change the record there's a good lad.
Old 03 October 2008, 03:46 PM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

Thought about writing the very same.

Quick Reply: HID ADVICE