Water / Condensation getting into headlight after de-tango and HID's

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2008, 04:47 PM
RikTee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water / Condensation getting into headlight after de-tango and HID's

Am getting near the end of my tether

Have de-tango's my blob eye, and also gitted HID's.

One of the headlights is consistently letting in water when it rains, I have now had the headlight out twice and re-cooked it, and re-applied a layer of sealant around the light (twice)

The second time it took it out I thought it may have been where i fitted the HID's and had to drill a bigger hole for the wiring grommet, so I put sealant all around there as well.

Each time I dry the light out with a hairdryer, and shake the light to make sure there are no drops of water left.

Starting to get really frustrated now, it's only on the drivers side headlight as well, the other one is fine.

Any ideas ?

Cheers
Rich
Old 25 August 2008, 09:12 PM
Gazz300
Scooby Regular

Unlucky my friend. Hold them above a bowl of water and dip them in face down to see where it goes in. Check the seal all the way around and make sure the bottom 3 clips are in on themselves.

Otherwise heat them up and remove all the sealant then get some new stuff on there. Caravan places have it I am told if this is not what you have.
Old 26 August 2008, 11:23 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hijack the thread slightly mate but just wonder if there is an actual article within scoobynet on exactly how to de-tango the headlights ?? easiest methods etc ??

and yep would certainly consider removing all the sealant and going over them all again, its amazing at times how ater can find it way into places that you dont want !!
Old 26 August 2008, 11:26 PM
RikTee
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replys guys, all sorted now, put shed load of sealant round it and all seems well

Jono, check this thread out.
https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...eadlights.html

R.
Old 27 August 2008, 07:35 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Perfect mate appreciatte that, just wonder if you used the oven method yourself ?? also I take it its the actual mastic / sealant that bonds the two halves back together as opposed to just keeping them watertight ?? or do Subaua use something like a glue or whatever to bond together ??

my plan is just to remove all the old sealant and re do once ready to put all back together again.
Old 27 August 2008, 02:19 PM
RikTee
Scooby Regular

yes mate used the oven method , worked fine on the other one, didn't need to put any additional sealent on it , just reheated and it was fine, the lights are basicaly held together by the mastik and 9 screws, no additional glue.

Cheers
Rich
Old 27 August 2008, 09:06 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

I used a heat gun to de-tango mine last weekend. No way i was putting mine in an oven.

Model shops sell heat guns for £20.00
Old 27 August 2008, 11:14 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Must admitt the oven method does not really appeal to me !! a hairdryer likely to work just as well ??

can someone confirm oven times / temps if I do decide to go this particular route ??!!
Old 05 September 2008, 09:15 PM
Gazz300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jono300
Must admitt the oven method does not really appeal to me !! a hairdryer likely to work just as well ??

can someone confirm oven times / temps if I do decide to go this particular route ??!!
Remove screws. Put in on Less than 50 degrees if you can for 5 minutes. Prise them apart and put back in if not ready. take out your bulbs as it might damage them.

Once finished pop them back together without screws. Back in the oven to soften the mastik then put the screws back to knit it all together.