Notices

Rear lights stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2008, 01:05 AM
serega
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear lights stopped working

Removed my parking/side lights button from the top of the steering column today so i could put a boost gauge on top of it; thinking i could easily put it back if i wanted to later on Oh, i was wrong

Anyway, i also had those ugly lexus taillights on and decided to swap them back to the originals and after spending 2 hours cutting through the paste and the glue and fitting them only to find out that they wont come on with the headlights.

Now sadly i didnt check if the lexus lights were working fine before i started swapping them over, but after plugging them in they werent working either...

The stop lights and hazards/indicators work fine..

Now, is there any relation to the parking lights button that i managed to break ? Or i did i manage to cut a wire while cutting all that glue away

Cheers !
Old 28 June 2008, 03:11 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The wiring comes in via a loom, so any damage should be apparent.

I take it you HAVE checked both bulbs, either with a meter, or a wire to the battery? It's defo NOT unknown for both to go at once. Also check bulb seating for corrosion

After that, it'd be a case of looking at what you did with the parking light switch, which is my favourite for the culprit

Alcazar

A bit of advice, when working on electrics and especially car electrics: if possible check that the bit you are working on WAS working before you alter it, and IS still working after altering it BEFORE moving onto the next bit
Old 28 June 2008, 09:26 PM
serega
Scooby Regular

Cheers alcazar, i did check all the fuses, the bulbs and the wiring for any obvious damage. Nothing wrong there.

Agreed alcazad, i do usually check that everything is working before i change something, but this time i just didnt see that there could be any relation : /

I guess i should get a new assembly now : (
Old 30 June 2008, 08:18 AM
Scooby Senior

checked fuses? power to light loom, power to bulb holder
Old 30 June 2008, 11:27 AM
serega
Scooby Regular

I fixed it, it turns out there is a relay on the parking light assembly with 3 wires, so tearing out the parking light button severed that connection as it is basically a selector that connects 2 out of 3 wires together, the off position connects the 2 wires which allow the lights to be on with the headlights only, and the on position connects the 2 wires which lets the lights be on all the time.

Without a parking light button there is no connection between those wires at all so it doesnt work.