Notices

fuse no 18

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2008, 12:47 AM
casper22
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuse no 18

was driving home last night when the radio went off and the lights dimmed and the engine didnt seam to be running right made it home but car woudnt start this morning tryed jump startin it but it only made it half way around the block and cut out as though it wasnt charging, jump started it again got home and checked all the fuses in the fuse box on drivers side fuse no18 was out but as soon as i turn on the ignition it blows again. alarm had been chirping in the mornings so i thought it might be the battery also i had no dashboard lights or indicators but dashboard lights came back on when i jump started it. its a my99 with sigma m30 alarm could this be causing the trouble or is it more likley to bethe battery
cheers paul
Old 24 June 2008, 11:27 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

Fuse 18 behind the coin tray should be 15A for the indicators, reversing light and the airbag warning light (whatever that one is if you have it). Anyhow, generally speaking short circuits blow fuses. With the indicator stalk in the central position and the car in neutral then with the ignition switched on the live voltage (12v) for this fuse should be isolated from any loads. To do any serious fault finding you need a multimeter for resistance/voltage measurements, but one possibility is a short circuit on the indicator stalk assembly so it might be worth your while removing the shroud around the steering column, checking for chafed wires to the indicator stalk and perhaps disconnecting the indicator stalk assembly.
Kevin
Old 25 June 2008, 10:58 PM
casper22
Scooby Newbie

Default fuse 18

cheers for reply local garage checked my battery and alternator which wasnt charging so i have replaced that but fuse 18 still blowing when i turn the ignition on i will try and get it striped out around the steering wheel and see if i can see anything if not i think i will after take it to a auto electrician

thanx again