Notices

sti rear lights no reverse!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01 January 2008, 05:51 PM
esxboy1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sti rear lights no reverse!!!

hey peeps i have a uk spec scoob my97 not had it long.anyway i noticed i had no reverse lights so when i finally could be assed to check it out and i found all my wires cut an shut.after looking at a few threads on here i noticed that it turns out my lights are of the sti kind with the clear band across the bottom of the lense.so when i push the fog light button an walk around the back i have one red light and one clear on.me thinks this isnt right lol an im asuming the previous owner just converted both reverse lights to the fog circuit .so i tried to find a reverse light signal.i earthed a bulb and tried each terminal on unused plug an all other wires, but could not find a signal when engaged in reverse with ignition on.all i could find was a perminent live wich lit the bulb with/without reverse engaged.would this be the right way to search for reverse signal.now im thinking my reverse switch could be nackered.just wanted to make sure i wasnt missing summit before i put it in for a new reverse switch
Old 01 January 2008, 07:02 PM
youngstar
Scooby Regular

hello mate, sounds like who ever fitted the fog lamp has just cut the reverse wire and used it to supply the fog and not thought about the reverse,
on a my98 sti jdm it is a brown/yellow wire with 2 silver dots, can be found in the drivers side sill in the thick loom running to the rear of the car,
this supplys both lamps as it splits in the boot from one lamp to the other,
pop the sill cover trim off, splice open the black sheathing to look at ur wiring, try to trac the cable from the fog lamp switch to see if u can find a join?
if i am right, test the cable from the car and see if it still becomes live when reverse is selected?
if so, rejoin to the other end of the cut cable, then run a new length of cable to the fog bulb and run that independantly?
hope this makes sense.
cheers
chris
Old 01 January 2008, 07:23 PM
esxboy1
Scooby Regular

i was asuming there was reverse signal running to the lights before they where messed about with.but is my method of testing right. earthed+ test.every wire coming from the loom into the boot all i can find is one live an that is not the one.is the switch on the box easy to get to can it be bridged just to find if it is the switch or not?
Old 01 January 2008, 08:25 PM
youngstar
Scooby Regular

easiest way to test is using either a multimeter or with a test light, or yes, if using a bulb, use an indicator buld or reverse/fog as they are the same, earth the outer cylindrical metal part and test by sending power down the spot on the base of the bulb.
if you were more local to surrey i wouldnt mind helping,(im an autoelectrician!)
the best method is to find where the fog lamp switch is connected to. this will hopefully shed some light on the matter?
chris