Notices

Classic rear fog question

Search this Thread

Old 23 December 2007, 03:50 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Classic rear fog question

Should I have two fog lights? I currently only have one on the drivers side.
I'd like two as I must have OCD or something. I don't drive around with them on or anything, just today was particulary foggy.
I can see the passsenger side is a blank, so I don't mind drilling out the plastic for the blub holder. I've done this before on a Peugeot 306, except the actual foglight holder was already there, just had to drill the hole.
Anyone done this?
Old 24 December 2007, 05:16 PM
John 37
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by joey_turbo
Should I have two fog lights? I currently only have one on the drivers side.
I'd like two as I must have OCD or something. I don't drive around with them on or anything, just today was particulary foggy.
I can see the passsenger side is a blank, so I don't mind drilling out the plastic for the blub holder. I've done this before on a Peugeot 306, except the actual foglight holder was already there, just had to drill the hole.
Anyone done this?
Got the same on my MY2000 estate.
The LH lamp will take a bulb holder, just remove the blank and fit one. The light output isn't as good as the RHS, I suspect the LH lens is actually a reflector, however, it's an easy mod.
The other thing to watch is the wiring to the rear fog is the usual Subaru wet string. Doubling the current will double the volt drop. I'm fitting a relay to mine with a larger power cable. I've the advantage that I've a large +12V feed to the rear for trailer wiring so I can use that.

John
Old 27 December 2007, 06:51 PM
Adam K
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess RHDs have beck back light mirrored to LHDs.
So on mine it's the RH thats a blank. I have fitted a brake light in this and a wire with a semi-conductor from brakelight on the LH. The thing is that the foglight have a reflector while the 'blank' side doesn't, so the foglight on this side will always be less sharp, especially on a distance. IMO there is also an advantage having foglight only on one side, makes it look less like brake lights.
Old 29 December 2007, 11:33 AM
John 37
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam K
I guess RHDs have beck back light mirrored to LHDs.
So on mine it's the RH thats a blank. I have fitted a brake light in this and a wire with a semi-conductor from brakelight on the LH. The thing is that the foglight have a reflector while the 'blank' side doesn't, so the foglight on this side will always be less sharp, especially on a distance. IMO there is also an advantage having foglight only on one side, makes it look less like brake lights.
Do you really mean brake light and why use a semi-conductor? This will reduce the light output anyway as semi-conductors always have a volt drop in the forward direction.

John