Notices

WRX headlamp mod - done & well pleased

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2002, 12:35 PM
DT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Not the same without pictures is it!!!! We need another uploader.
Old 14 January 2002, 07:36 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Smile

DT

Yes we need a proper uploader
as I would like to see what you have done

btw that body kit wasn't anything to fight over no real difference to the OEM stuff

Phil

[Edited by phil_stephens - 1/14/2002 7:37:45 PM]
Old 14 January 2002, 09:44 PM
DT
Scooby Regular

Woah!!! what happened to my origional post???!!!! Good job I saved a copy. Here we go again.....

Howdy chaps and chappesses,
Just done the WRX headlight mod and am VERY pleased with the results. At £8 for a tin of matt black paint, its much cheaper than a set of Morettes and different too.
Here’s the results:

It took about 4 hours but I could do it again (not that I’d want too!) in about two. If you’d like to try there are plenty of pictures of variations on the theme as well as full instructions at I-club.com. Do a search on headlight mods. I favoured blacking out all the reflector bits, bar the headlamp ‘cos it looks much meaner.

It would have been a reasonably straight forward job had I not c**ked up a couple of times – not least melting part of the light fitting!!!! See, I was following the instructions and duly stuck my light in for 8mins at 220 degrees, trouble is I didn’t twig that it said 220F and I had set 220C – quite a difference! All things considered I’m lucky not to have a baking tray full of molten plastic. What didn’t survive was the plastic sticky-out bit that fixes to the front of the car and also provides the mounting for the side grill pieces. You can see the result here.

Another bit of negligence on my part was reheating and reassembling, only to realise that I had forgotten to put in the sidelight lens. Thus I had to stick it back in the oven and start again! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Because of my mishap with one light, the light and the side grill piece are largly held in with duct tape!! If any of you many Morette owners want to free up some garage space and give me a drivers side bug-eye, I’d be very grateful.

DT

[Edited by DT - 1/14/2002 9:51:28 PM]
Old 14 January 2002, 09:49 PM
DT
Scooby Regular

Yaheyyyyy after several attempts I finally manage to upload my pics (first go at this) Hope you like it!!

Phil - agree on the Autosport makeover, nothing special. Ahh well, on with the DIY mods . Was thinking about colour coding the grill and adding some mesh.

Didya see the MY01 on the Samco stand though? - the full works with all the hoses blue, looked the business - wouldn't fancy trying to fit them though.
Old 14 January 2002, 10:14 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Talking

Here Here on that

Lights look good (now I can see them)

Phil
Old 14 January 2002, 10:45 PM
WRBlue
Scooby Regular

DT,

I've looked on in amazement at the stampede for bogus replacemets. Trouble is the car with oem lights has never been an oil pinting so I can see the desire. When I clocked the UK STi lights I knew the nut had been well and truly cracked, though I expect they cost a fortune form dealers (not even going to go there!).

You have found a masterstroke alternative, looks great - shame about the meltdown m8. If you can give me more details I def want to try this. Bravo.
Old 14 January 2002, 11:01 PM
DT
Scooby Regular

Thanks chaps
WRblue, if I've got the hang of this uploading malarky there should be two blues below:

Here's a link on how to do it..... don't forget oven needs to be about 100C only!!!!

http://www.scoobymods.com/mods/wrx/clearlight.php

Need any help let me know.
DT

Old 14 January 2002, 11:06 PM
WRBlue
Scooby Regular

Nice one DT, you are uploading for England now. Need to ditch the Sunday roast one week soon and go for it. Will post a shot if successful, otherwise watch this space.

JJ

Old 15 January 2002, 05:34 PM
Fizz
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Not wishing to spoil the party does this make the maps illegal as they are now not tested to the 'E' marked standard?
Old 16 January 2002, 01:34 PM
DT
Scooby Regular

Fizz, who knows? The actual headlamp refector is unchanged, much brighter in fact now I have Vision Plus's. Indicators are now lighting orange since I fitted the Silver Vision bulbs yesterday. Can't see anyone having an issue with them.
Old 16 January 2002, 10:30 PM
WRBlue
Scooby Regular

DT,

Checked out the link thanks. Yank suggests "hair dryer or heat gun" to separate lenses, I asssume you put whole unit in oven to get them apart (y/n?).

Did you then simple paint the reflectors black and if so what paint did you use? What did you use to smudge the main lens back on and would you use the same gear again?

Anxious to get going asap.

JJ
Old 17 January 2002, 09:08 AM
DT
Scooby Regular

WRBlue,

Didn't have a heatgun but oven works great - if you set the temp right. 5-8mins at 100oC is fine.

Used High Temp Matt black paint from halfords - normally used on exhausts and engine parts. Painted all of the silver bit that comes out so its dead easy.

To reassemble put both halves back in the oven for a similar time and they will slide together easy. In that situation no extra silicone req'd. However, cos I had to break mine apart again - cos I forgot to put the sightlight lens in - I added some black silicone, which I bought just in case from, Halfords.

Incidently, if black goo goes where it shouldn't i.e. on the lens, it comes off a treat with nail varnish remover. Just happened to have some around. Be very careful when reassembling - DON'T get the goo on the bit you just painted - you'll see it through the lens and you can't get it off without spoiling the paint.

Good luck. Call me on 07850 357168 if you have any probs. Provided you learn from all the mistakes I made, it really is quite easy.
Old 17 January 2002, 10:31 PM
WRBlue
Scooby Regular

DT,

Made it to i-com and to Halfords. Banned wiffy fron the kitchen on Sunday. Please do the honourable thing and keep your mobile on (and charged), will call either way. Cheers.

JJ

(ps, the pics of your silver scoob are far superior to the yank wrblue, a nice uniform black band on the inner curve)
Old 18 January 2002, 09:09 AM
DT
Scooby Regular

WRBlue, Thanks for the compliments, although my guess is that both lights are identical. When you pull them apart you paint the complete silver bit, no masking (headlamp reflector stays in). So I would guess he did the same.

Good Idea to keep the family out of the way, I'm sure my wife tiding up around me all the time, contributed to be forgetting to refit the sidelight lens. Well, wouldn't be my fault would it!!