Notices

HID kit update - worrying question?

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2007, 09:07 PM
beensoldaduffscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID kit update - worrying question?

Hello,

I purchased 3 sets of the HID kits from the group buy run by Alex quite a while ago.
Before I purchased them I emailed the distributor of the group buy kits and also direct to the manufacturer to ask if the bulbs had a UV block on them. I was told by both that there was no, or very little, UV emitted from these HID bulbs and they were totally suitable to be in PLASTIC headlights.
I have just had the opportunity to measure the UV spectral output of the HID bulbs and the original halogen bulbs. The HID bulbs emit approx. 10 times the UV radiation (in the band that I measured, and I accept that it was not the full UV spectrum).

One set has gone into the PIAA WR1 driving lights that I have fitted and I have no problems with these - they sit behind a GLASS lens.

The other two sets have gone behind the PLASTIC headlight units (dip and main) and I am now very worried that the level of UV radiation being emitted will significantly and rapidly degrade the plastic lens unit.

Has anybody else thought about this or is anybody else worried?

Does anybody know of a contact within Subaru that may have technical information about the UV resilience of the plastic headlights?

Steve.
Old 15 October 2007, 10:26 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

technically you shouldn't be using hid's in a lens designed for halogen anyway so subaru won't want to know, hence why the projector styles are glass. personally i wouldn't be worried i probably won't have the car in the time it takes for the plastic to degrade or i would just buy new lights!
Old 16 October 2007, 09:27 AM
beensoldaduffscooby
Scooby Regular

Yes, I agree with Subaru not wnating to know -and understand why.

I am also thinking just do it and replace the light unit when they degrade. I just wondered how long it would be before I had to splash out on new units. A few years would be ok but anything less might stop me fitting them.
Old 16 October 2007, 09:30 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

HID retrofit kits = complete ****e, shouldn't be used in a lamp designed for a normal bulb for a whole raft of sound reasons
Old 16 October 2007, 11:39 AM
beensoldaduffscooby
Scooby Regular

Would it be possible for you to share these problems with me so that I may look at addressing some of them if possible.

I am aware of the following:
UV issue.
The potential for a HID bulb to form a poor beam pattern due to the location of the capsule being different to the location of the halogen filament.
High momentary inrush current at switch on.

What other things should I be aware of please?

Steve
Old 16 October 2007, 09:12 PM
darms
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

steve

take read of this Automotive Lighting FAQ - HID Kits - ok its a US site and talks about US issues and stuff...but you get the idea the possible issues....

laters mate