Notices

morrette light conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2002, 01:14 PM
stevedr
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have this conversion on new WRX - dipped beam is so poor its dangerous. Main beam netter but not great. Can someone tell me wjat upgrade bulbs I could use without risking the harness / lens etc?
Old 07 January 2002, 01:32 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

ScoobySport do a HID upgrade, apparently well worth the money.

www.scoobysport.co.uk
Old 07 January 2002, 01:34 PM
stevedr
Scooby Newbie

thanks!
Steve
Old 07 January 2002, 01:39 PM
ChrisB

Seems to be a lot of topics on Morettes on MY01 onwards being poor. Have you double checked the allignment is correct?
Old 07 January 2002, 01:42 PM
stevedr
Scooby Newbie

yes its all checked, although drivers side seems a bit high still; scoobysport advise H4 Xenons will help.
thanks
Steve
Old 07 January 2002, 01:49 PM
ga33a
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Hi All,

Why is it so difficult to get the lights working properly on scoobies? Even the conversions don't seem to work very well. Surely Subaru should be doing something about this.

I'm now running 130/90 bulbs in my MY97 (yes i know they're illegal and that they may fuse & or weld) this seems to be the only resolution to the problem.

I did consider getting some Morrette's but I'm not sure it's worth it

Cheers

Gazza
Old 07 January 2002, 02:49 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Morettes for a WRX01/02 actually take H7. Xenons will help, but nothing compares to HID. You can drive cross country without needing main beam.

One thing to check... at this time of year, road grime builds up on headlights. The small projector lights get quite hot and suffer really badly from this. Make sure they are cleaned regularly.

I drove with mine with standard Morettes for some time and don't think they were dangerous. Light output was similar to the OE lights and better than the lighting on previous models.

Old 07 January 2002, 04:42 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Thumbs up

Just add my opinion

I thought the original lights looked crap (not alone there) but there performance was good

I then added CIBIE's

I then added Morrettes with performance bulbs and whilst I was impressed with the looks the performance IMHO was Not quite as good as the originals(but well worth it)

I have now added the HID and WOW as Pete says you don't really need Full Beam

BUT when every thing is on its bloody bright

God knows what Pete's is like with HID Driving lights as well

Phil
Old 07 January 2002, 04:58 PM
stevedr
Scooby Newbie

Question

Thanks Phil
I am still having trouble getting the right spec for any upgrade.
What did you use and where did they come from? Can I get replacement HID bulbs and are they H7 or H4?
Main beams OK ish on the Morrette's but I would change them too.
rgds
Steve
Old 08 January 2002, 08:30 AM
stevedr
Scooby Newbie

cheers - I'll go for the economy upgrade and see how it goes for now
thanks again
Steve
Old 22 January 2002, 01:43 PM
gareth
Scooby Regular

Steve,

Did you get the bulbs as advised ("H7 in the dips, and H1 in the main beams") and did they go in okay?

I had similar worries with my morettes (fitted from new on MY01). After alignment they were much better but - as said earlier - go off very quickly due to dirt buildup. If they stayed as bright as when they are clean I would be happy not to upgrade, but I feel I need some brighter bulbs so I can run "dirty" for longer...

Gareth
Old 22 January 2002, 03:11 PM
stevedr
Scooby Newbie

Gareth
I gave up with the bulbs and had Scoobysport fit the HID conversion.Excellent - cost me £435 and was fitted in an hour and a half.
Alignment is difficult - the adjuster screws are pretty fragile plastic parts and you need to take care not to strip the heads.
Steve

Old 22 January 2002, 03:29 PM
gareth
Scooby Regular

Angry

Thanks for the info. There's no way I'm blowing another £400 on top of the original cost of what was supposed to be an "upgrade" in the first place...

G
Old 22 January 2002, 04:00 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Cool

Gareth

Its WELL worth it

Phil
Old 22 January 2002, 05:11 PM
gareth
Scooby Regular

Hi,

Ordered the H7s to start with. Any tips on changing the bulbs in the morettes?

Gareth

[Edited by gareth - 1/22/2002 5:22:11 PM]
Old 22 January 2002, 11:34 PM
simes
Scooby Regular

Question

Can anyone tell me what parts the scoobysport kit comprises as the autolamp one is a lot cheaper and seems top notch on the quality front (see here for details).

BTW, I have just had the Morette conversion done by TSL, partly for style reasons and partly for lighting reasons. I have already got into the habit of cleaning the lights each journey - I had to to because with the standard lights I just couldn't see if there was a hint of dirt.

Got the Morettes so as to fit an H7 HID conversion, not really expecting too much as they come from opinions raised here.

However IMO the Morettes are much better than standard provided you keep them clean. TSL spent a while aligning them them with some sort of gizmo, I wonder if that is the difference?

Cheers

Simon

[Edited by simes - 1/22/2002 11:35:11 PM]
Old 24 January 2002, 08:44 AM
Autolamps
Scooby Regular

The Gizmo you refer to is a REGLOSCOPE. It is the only reliable way that you can ensure the correct vertical and horizontal alignment of your headlamps. Any MOT station can do this for you and should not take any longer than 10 mins. If you have upgraded your car with either Halogens or HID it is the best way to optimise all the performance benefits from your new light source

Nick
Old 24 January 2002, 02:41 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Cheers nick and all

I get my morettes in the next week or so - and will ask about upgrade bulbs!!! Got any in Trouser????

Jza
Old 24 January 2002, 04:45 PM
gareth
Scooby Regular

Got my H7 VPs from powerbulbs in the post this morning and whacked them in at lunchtime. Also cleaned the glass so expecting serious improvements tonight (or else)...

Anyone put in the freebie blue sidelights from pb? Not sure whether to bother as I'm not aiming for a Nova look...

Didn't have too much trouble getting the H7s in the dips but the main beams look much harder. Is it possible without removing the filter box?

Surprised how much the morettes flopped about while I was changing the bulbs. I can see why alignment is such a problem.

Gareth
Old 24 January 2002, 07:04 PM
Madman
Scooby Regular

Gareth

I'm off the same opinion, got the Morettes as an upgrade and don't fancy paying out more on top. I went for the Philips Vision Plus bulbs (main and dip) and am more than happy with them.

Changing them is a fiddly job. On the offside you need to take off the air intake covering the access to the bulbs - although since I did mine it has been mentioned on here you can just bend it back.

The clips holding the bulbs in are the worsed thing if you haven't done them before. The spring clips unlock to the right (if your stood infront of the car. If they don't go back on easily the bulb isn't seated properly - a nightmare at first but quite easy after you've done the first one.

Good luck and be prepared to loose a large amount of skin of y' knuckles If you do have any trouble I'm not far from you and could nip over the hill.
Old 24 January 2002, 07:11 PM
Madman
Scooby Regular

Gareth

Sorry didn't read page two - d'oh

The Morettes shouldn't move, are you sure all the bolts are properly secured.

Put the blue sidelights in mine but just look white - can't see the point really, although they do look better than the origional yellowish bulbs that were in
Old 25 January 2002, 09:21 AM
gareth
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the tips and offer of help - agree with your comments on the clips (took a while but worked it out eventually!). Pretty happy with the improvements last night - will probably go for the main beams now...

Gareth
Old 01 July 2002, 05:03 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Thumbs up

Steve

The man to ask is Pete (Scoobysport) as he fitted mine

I had my dipped only done that was £400 all in

if you wanted both then I'm affraid its another £400

But again IMHO you don't NEED both however you might WANT both

Phil

[Edited by phil_stephens - 1/7/2002 5:05:29 PM]
Old 01 August 2002, 08:10 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

MY01 Morettes seem to come out of the factory set low.

Because of the sharp beam cutoff with the projector lenses on the dip beams it is VERY important to set them correctly. This will make a big difference - it has on both our cars.

As Pete says they get dirty very quickly at this time of year. Mine are filthy in 20 minutes......
The glass of the Morette lamp units has a smaller surface area than an OEM headlamp, thus runs hotter as there is the same amount of heat to dissipate through a smaller area, and welds road muck to the glass. Incidentally the HID dip units run cooler, only drawing 35w, and mine get noticeably less road dirt stuck to them than the normal Morettes.

The HID conversion is not a bulb, it is a capsule that has an H7 fitting to fit the dip beam of the Morettes....it also has the high voltage (20,000) pack to trigger/run them too.

Running one car with Philips Vision Plus in the dips, and the other with HID, the ScoobySport HID conversion is well worth it.

If you want an economy upgrade, put Philips Vision Plus bulbs in - H7 in the dips, and H1 in the main beams (about £40).

If you are still running the original foglamps and use main beam a lot, a Cibie or PIAA drive lamp conversion is the next step (around £250).

[Edited by Dave T-S - 1/8/2002 8:17:33 AM]