Notices

NEW MORETTES wiring help please....

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2002, 08:49 PM
Rob Mo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Posting this for a good friend, not by a p.c today....

he wants to fit these tomorrow, and has all figured out except for the 2 blue leads with scotchlocks.

he has a 93 wrx, and would just like to know exactly which lighting leads these scotchlocks need to splice into.

If anyone can point in the right direction, I know it will be much appreciated, possibly not by future oncoming traffic already dazzled by the cibies, but what the hey........

another note, if nobody can help, does anyone know what damage could be done by trial and error method?

thanks a lot...

Rob.

note, also posted in the General forum.....sorry.
Old 05 January 2002, 09:27 PM
mole
Scooby Regular

Not knowing your technical ability it is hard to maybe not insult you, here goes.

Remove one standard headlight plug, with an assistant, switch on your headlights (obviously ignition on), have the assistant flash the highbeam whilst you test the output on the standard headlight plug.

If you dont have a meter, you can use a small bulb (12v) and two pieces of wire either soldered onto the bulb or via a bulb holder.

One wire connected to chassis, the other carefully "poked" into each of the slots on the plug in turn.

You will get no reading (meter set to 12v, or bulb) on the negative, constant 12v on 1 of the slots, intermittent reading on the highbeam slot.

Cant say which wire out of the blue and grey is the pos or the neg but with a meter you should be able to figure that out.

Hope this helps, bit confused as with the instructions it is quite a simple job, let me know if you still need help.

Regards, Mole
Old 05 January 2002, 10:52 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Ok, here is the wiring details I posted for MY01 Morettes recently. I can't guarantee the wiring is the same as for the earlier cars, but it probably is.

OFFSIDE LAMP UNIT CONNECTIONS:

The original 3 pin rubber headlamp connection plug - if you look at the back of it (the connection side) the three connections are in a "n" shape. The top connection is yellow, the one on the left blue, and the one on the right grey.

DIP LAMP UNIT
Black wire out > to thick grey.
Thick yellow out > to yellow.

MAIN BEAM LAMP UNIT
Red wire out > to thick pale blue.
Black wire out > to red (from N/S lamp loom, two wires that run across in front of radiator).

RELAY
Brown wire out > to brown from N/S loom as above.

SIDE LAMP
To thin yellow and thin grey wires out of relay.

NEARSIDE LAMP UNIT CONNECTIONS
As above, the only real difference is that there are two relays on this side, the green relay should have the red wire connector on it, and the black relay has the plug with yellow wires.

Hope this helps.

Old 06 January 2002, 12:57 AM
mole
Scooby Regular

Found the following out on Markus' Site:-

"The GREY wire from the morette relay is conected to the BLACK wire on the headlamp loom, and the BLUE wire from the morette relay is conected to the WHITE wire on the headlamp loom."

Should help your mate.
Old 06 January 2002, 05:22 PM
Nate-old
Scooby Regular

Rob

Many thanks for posting this for me ............. I did a little search on Google and came up with this ..............For anyone else in the same situation (with pictures) , I think it is Markus's car

http://www.markuswarren.co.uk/cars/howto/morettefitting.html

Many thanks again Rob

Nate.
Old 06 January 2002, 07:05 PM
Rob Mo
Scooby Regular

thanks and sorry everybody..

appreciate the response and info give, tried first thing this morn, said that Nate would probably thankyou himself, but as i submitted my reply....boom, it all crashed, not happy, bloody computers....

cheers

rob.
Old 06 January 2002, 10:09 PM
DominicA
Scooby Regular

Cool

as this is an early WRX should be ok, but the UK cars are different!!!
Old 06 January 2002, 11:44 PM
Nate-old
Scooby Regular

Dominic,

Found out UK cars are different , WRX (93) has different coloured wiring , I just bent up the pins on an old halogen unit from my old headlight till I found out which terminal was which.

Anyway , thanks everyone for your help ......... They are on now and work very well .......... Lighting the streets up so much better

Nate.