Notices

2007 Hawkeye xenon lights, adjustable?

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2007, 06:14 PM
oreo
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Hawkeye xenon lights, adjustable?

Does anyone know if the xenon lights on my 2007 uk supplied wrx are switchable from uk to continental beam pattern for driving abroad? Im being given conflicting information on the subject. From a dealer over the phone i am being told it is possible (although they cant tell me how) but when i visit my local dealer they tell that this is not the case and i would infact need new lights

Thanks, Jason.
Old 09 August 2007, 08:01 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

your not going to need new lights to go abroad. Just how do they expect people to drive in Europe if that were true? Carry spare headlights with you to change at Dover

You will either have to stick something over the headlights to modify the beam pattern (meaning your lights will most likely suck), or there will be something you can fiddle with. Have you tried the manual?
Old 09 August 2007, 08:05 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Dont believe they are switchable (i.e. with a switch), as i have looked at mine. But the dealer can re-align for the continent without having to replace the headlights.
Because the HID headlights are more accurately aligned, i found that when i drove abroad in Norway, nobody ever flashed me although i did not alter the lights or put tape over. I did carry tape just in case so that i could blank the offending part of the headlight though. The backup plan was to go to a Subaru dealer there, and have him realign the lights temporarily.
Old 09 August 2007, 08:07 PM
oreo
Scooby Newbie

Hi there,
I work abroad alot so beam deflectors are not an option, the lights must be to continental standard, which i am told is possible without buying new units, but how?!!
Yes i did take the time to look in the manual, it was as helpful as you would expect....
Old 10 August 2007, 12:14 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Dealer will re-align for the continent.
Old 10 August 2007, 12:23 AM
oreo
Scooby Newbie

I have been to continental dealer who says that it is not possible and i need a new set of lights for permanent driving over here. The problem with the lights is that still "kick up" to the left side instead of the right even after they have been aligned.....
Old 10 August 2007, 12:41 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

You will need to check the part numbers for LHD and RHD lights and see if they are different.
However, i dont see you changing your lights everytime you cross the channel. The manual says that the dealer can re-align the lights, worst case solution is to lower the headlight beam so they dont blind anyone.

Trending Topics

Old 10 August 2007, 08:34 AM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

I am on the same boat so any information is greatly appreciated
I want to register my LHD impreza in the UK and have been told that I need to change the lights (442 pounds each!) according to a UK dealer as they cannot be adjusted (my manual is German so not of much use to me either).
A friend of mine with a LHD E46 M3 had to change his as well; the headlights for the M3 in Europe do not have the switch for changing the beam pattern for UK driving wheres the UK ones have the switch for driving in Europe!
Subaru maybe similar. Could you guys check your lights as if this is not the case it is very impractical to have to change over the lights every time you cross the channel!
Btw you cannot put stickers over xenon headlights.

Last edited by fpan; 10 August 2007 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10 August 2007, 09:21 AM
oreo
Scooby Newbie

yes a dealer can re-align the lights by lowering the beam but that does not mean they are suitable for full time continental driving. Have you tried driving any length of time with a lowered beam as i am doing now? You cant see F**K all so rapid progress at night is pretty much impossible and you WILL find yourself with your high beams constantly on so you can actually see past your front bumper, so that makes lowering the beam in the first place pretty much pointless!
It comes down to this, my supplier claimed the lights were switchable before i bought the car, a subaru dealer and an independent test centre upon looking at the car have both said they are not. I need to do something about it to get the supplier to cough up for continental lights.
Old 10 August 2007, 10:20 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

I dont see why you cannot put stickers over the HID lights to stop the unwanted pattern from blinding other road users whilst driving on the continent. My lights are covered in defendall and this hasnt melted or discoloured.
I would try and have the lights alligned for best all round use both continent and in UK as you just wouldnt want to change the headlights every time. This is what i have had done with my VW (New) Beetle which has got me by for 5 years now.
The issue with the dealer is a seperate issue, but i think that even if you can persuade the dealer to supply some LHD lights it will still not be a practical solution for you.
I would very much like to see if the part number differs between LHD and RHD as then we will know if the lights are actually different units. Can you get the supplying dealer to check?
Old 10 August 2007, 10:56 AM
oreo
Scooby Newbie

I can go out to the car and post the part numbers if that helps?
Old 10 August 2007, 11:00 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

we need the LHD part numbers, we can look at our own cars for the RHD part numbers
Old 10 August 2007, 12:12 PM
oreo
Scooby Newbie

Fpan should be able to help us with that as he said his is LHD
Old 10 August 2007, 12:54 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Why don't the two of you swop lights?
Old 10 August 2007, 01:00 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

I will post the part number of the headlights when I get home tonight
I believe the reason why tape cannot be used to divert the beam is because xenon are projector type lights so it would mess up the beam?
Beastie, what is the defendall? If you see well and other road users are not blinded I don't see a reason why not trying though (as long as police are happy with it!)
Guys, could someone PM me a chassis number of a WRX btw?
Please see my other post: https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...rx-owners.html

Thanks

Last edited by fpan; 10 August 2007 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10 August 2007, 01:23 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Defendall is a clear plastic film stuck on the lights to stop them being damaged from stone chips etc. What i was implying was that the lights do not get too hot to use some sort of tape stuck on the lights. I dont see why this approach cannot be used, its not a case of messing up the beam but just stopping the relevant part of it that causes the problem whilst driving on the right.
I tried the recommended deflectors on my VW Beetle lights but they get so hot that the deflectors fell off as the glue got too hot.
Old 10 August 2007, 06:47 PM
michael senior
Scooby Newbie

If you alter your beam so that it is legal in Europe at home, then surely it will be illegal when you drive to Dover etc unless you go during the day!!Maybe European occluders are available in the UK???
Old 10 August 2007, 07:53 PM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

The vx xenons on a Vectra B were change able, there was a small plastic tab u had to flick, not a electric one.
Old 10 August 2007, 09:56 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynewbie72
The vx xenons on a Vectra B were change able, there was a small plastic tab u had to flick, not a electric one.
BMW ones have a similar kind of tab you switch behind the headlamp.

The part numbers for the impreza lights (LHD) are:

Right:
1a DCHR PL A A
1714 01 00 00 02

Left:
20 A HRDC PL 1A
1714 02 0000 01

The beam can be adjusted as there is a RIGHT-LEFT and UP-DOWN screw but I don't know if that is for minor adjustments only.
Old 10 August 2007, 11:36 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Ok My car has:

Right:
1a DCHR PL A
1713 01 00 00 02

Left:
20 A HRDC PL 1A
1713 02 0000 01

so looks like they are different lights with different part numbers
Old 11 August 2007, 12:42 AM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

How do you get over the problem of having to carry spare bulbs on the continent re HIDs?
Old 11 August 2007, 01:07 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Ita a dealer job to replace the lamps so just carry a bulb kit with no spares for HiDs.
Old 12 August 2007, 10:40 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

i think if you buy the headlight protectors you get the stick on beam deflectors included as well, so you stick them on the protectors and not the headlights and just take the whole protector off when you get back to the uk
Old 14 August 2007, 05:53 PM
ScoobyWeb
Scooby Regular

The zenons on the 06/07 hawkeyes are auto leveling which means that you do not have to adjust them for continental driving. Check your hand book if it is a uk model and it should tell you. I had auto leveling Zenons in my last car and they were fine for continental driving.

Chris.
Old 15 August 2007, 06:17 PM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWeb
The zenons on the 06/07 hawkeyes are auto leveling which means that you do not have to adjust them for continental driving. Check your hand book if it is a uk model and it should tell you. I had auto leveling Zenons in my last car and they were fine for continental driving.

Chris.
Hope you're right - going foreign next week
Old 15 August 2007, 09:24 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWeb

Chris.
erm, no doubt someone will come in an tell me different, but I don't think that is the case. Auto leveling is just to compensate for having extra people/weight in the car. Its the same as the manual switch that lifts/lowers the headlights, only its done automatically.

This does nothing to alter the beam pattern, which is cack handed when a UK car goes abroad. They may have changed beam patterns on newer cars so that is no longer an issue, I dunno.