Notices

100W Bulbs and Loom melt-down

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2002, 12:27 PM
Canuck
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

A dealer's solution to the poor quality lights in the Impreza was simply to install 80W/100W bulbs in my MY97. Fantastic improvement and all for just a few quid.
My question is that I've been reading recently that the wiring loom may not be able to handle the power and can actually fry! I have been running with these bulbs for a few months, but now that I have settled down to enjoy the car's handling through my B-road flings everyday my mind is starting to wonder and I've been worrying about this (God forbid they shoud blow just as I'm approaching one of my dodgier corners one night )

Can anybody put my mind to rest?

Ta in advance,
Canuck

ps. apologies if this's been done to death elsewhere - searching didn't work for me.
Old 03 January 2002, 12:47 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

If the dealer has done this and the loom does melt then I'd have a 'little chat' with your dealer about what they are going to do about it.
Old 03 January 2002, 04:26 PM
darren tiday
Scooby Regular

Cool

i drive a my99 m8 and replaced my standard crap bulbs with PIAA 135/115 watt super white bulbs (that draw off 80/80 watts) and i've never had a problem in 2 years of use, fantastic powerful lights but the only downside is the price, about £40 each.

mind u, they are bright, highly recc
Old 03 January 2002, 04:47 PM
bruce
Scooby Regular

Cool

I put in the 80/100w bulbs into my MY97WRX and the only problem I have is the muck from the roads actually bakes onto the headlamp glass, I have to clean them before nearly every trip.
Old 03 January 2002, 05:40 PM
Canuck
Scooby Regular

All helpful comments so far, thanks.
I have been looking deeper into threads on this over the last several months (I am hard at work here - honest!) and this has been touched on in the past where people have noted problems with the bulbs fusing to the holders.

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...threadid=33235

Hmmmm.

WhatI'm hoping is that this thread can serve as a bit of a survey on people's experience with this practical solution to a v. common Impreza problem, which if I do end up with buggered wiring/holders I can then as recommended go back to the dealer for resolution.
Old 03 January 2002, 05:55 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

I've been using 80/100's for about 6 months with no problems.

I too was a bit worried by these reports but sprayed a bit of silicon grease on the connectors in the plug just to make sure.

Still no probs here and what an improvement, who needs expensive bulbs

I've never had a bulb fail durring driving, they usually go as you turn them on as thats when they are cold and the powerr surges.

Hope this lays your mind at rest.
Iain.
Old 03 January 2002, 05:55 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Hi there
Put Halfords 100/80's in my MY99 - I can see!!!
Not loom problems yet they have been in for 14 months 24K miles.
I do drive around with my lights in a lot as well

Trending Topics

Old 04 January 2002, 07:29 PM
EwanS
Scooby Regular

I have an MY01, and have recently fitted uprated 80/100's from Halfords (~£10/pair), Good, cheap, useable upgrade.

NO PROBLEMS @ 14.75Volts / 6.77Amps there is no wiring problem (possibly only heat damage - how many people have to comment on this? - IMHO 100% of people have had NO heat damage)

Then I went and bought a pair of PIAA's to replace my foggy's - now that's a difference - you do really need the override switch though especially for town/motorway driving. Country use is just BLISS !!!
EwanS
Old 05 January 2002, 03:28 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
My first bulb upgrade was to PIAA Super Whites a year last summer. Then when I started to use them a bit in the autumn, they quickly went pop. Mine were £45 each. Sod that!

Got a pair of Halford's 55/60 "30% brighter" but wasn't impressed and went for a Halford's twin pack of 80/100 for £12. MUCH better and they're still going strong about 14 months later. If anything, I would rate them as brighter than the PIAAs. I've also fitted blue-tinted side bulbs as otherwise they look too yellow by comparison.

There was a recent thread about bulbs welding themsleves to the connector so I checked mine. Absolutely no probs. I also took the precaution of smearing the bulb prongs with the minutest bit of grease, just in case it was corrosion or something that was getting them stuck.

I'm very happy with these bulbs and would recommend them The temptation is to go for even higher wattages (I think you can get 100/130 ) but in view of some negative reports I wouldn't risk it. The lights are OK now and I can't believe that the wiring/reflector/connector cannot stand a constant 80w which is not that much up on standard bulbs. Full beam is a different matter, but that's on for less than 10% of the time, usually in short bursts. I don't see the problem unless, as I have posted before, you sit for ages in traffic on main beam.

Yesterday I returned from a 500 mile round trip to Wales, all of it with the headlights on and a lot on unlit roads. Lights were up to it. Just stop and clean them every now and then. That can make a huge difference

Car is UK00 if that's relevant.

Richard.
Old 06 January 2002, 03:16 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
No probs time traveller (May 01, 2002???). Electrics are not my strong point and I didn't know that grease was an insulator. I just wanted to prevent corrosion and since the battery terminals are smothered in it...

Out of interest, what's different about Vaseline, or WD40?

Cheers,

Richard.
Old 06 January 2002, 08:55 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Sorry Dave,
I used Boeing spec stuff though I'm not sure what it is.
We just call it silicon spray at work, though now I think about it it obviously isn't!!!
Its probably Vasaline in a spray thay we pay $hit loads for[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Iain.
Old 06 January 2002, 09:30 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

Iain
LOL
Old 01 May 2002, 10:57 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Hoppy
Not being picky, but for your guidance, grease (or any silicone products) is an insulator and should NOT be used on electrical connections even in minute quantities. Vaseline (only) works.

If you saw my recent post, the situation of the bulb holder welding itself to the back of the bulb appears to be a myth in the majority of cases, as a lot of people don't know that the wiring plug is held on to the back of the bulb by two safety tags, and the plug won't come off the back of the bulb without squeezing them in.

[Edited by Dave T-S - 1/5/2002 10:59:49 PM]
Old 01 June 2002, 08:10 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

They conduct electricity, and grease doesn't LOL

[Edited by Dave T-S - 1/6/2002 8:39:46 PM]