Replacing standard lights on Classic Scooby

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2007, 09:48 PM
RB5man
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Replacing standard lights on Classic Scooby

Hi,
I am about to replace my standard original rear lights on my '99 UK Turbo for some new Lexus style lights. I am aware that they need to be fitted and sealed properly to be sure to avoid leaking etc. Can someone please advise me how to do this step by step so that I get it right?

Thanks!
Old 23 May 2007, 10:20 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Putting aside the idea of horrid chav-esque Lexus lights on a Classic, (and classic they are ), I'll try and help.

I've heard horror stories of badly fitting rear lights, so don't try and seal them with what you have, or what comes off the old lights. Get the proper stuff. It's NON-SETTING mastic, available from caravan dealers, or SOME car bodyshops. DON'T use silicone etc as you'll NEVER get the lights out again once you decide to reverse your disastrous decision to fit them Or they get damaged, (by an angry classic owner annoyed at your ruining a decent car )

Enough of this frivolity.

Remove trim from inside boot by unscrewing lower screw clips, and prizing out the poppers. You only need get the trim far enough back to expose the lights. Do not lose trim clips.

There are 5 (IIRC) nuts screwed onto captive bolts. Undo them with a 10mm spanner or socket. DO NOT drop the nuts down the well in the rear left of the car!

Pull off the lighting connector from the old light. You'll see if it has a clip or owt, once the light is loose.

Now pull like fek from outside, while pushing from inside at the light, to free it from the goo it's stuck on.

Once it comes loose it's easy. You do need to unscrew the lower metal trim from the old light and screw it to the new one.

TRY OUT THE NEW LIGHTS NOW! Connect the lighting connector and try ALL functions on BOTH lights BEFORE commencing next step. It's a pain to put stuff right once it's set and bolted in place Remove lighting connector again once you are satisfied that all (apart from chav appearance of new lights) is well.

Clean off old goo from seating, and ensure rest of seating is clean: oil and dust free.

Place a GOOD squeeze of non-setting mastic around the light, and set it into place. Replace and tighten nuts.

Replace connector and try lights again.

If all is OK (apart from appearance, which you can't do owt about barring replace chav lights with CLASSIC ones ), replace trim and trim clips.

Drive car. Enjoy new lights, but wear disguise so no-one can laugh at you later

HTH Alcazar