Notices

STI Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2007, 03:25 PM
m1cks
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STI Headlights

Hi, I have a uk 2001 bugeye WRX and would like to fit some JDM STI hid headlights.
The ones I have are from a jap car with different wiring. Does anyone know where I can get a wiring diagram for both sets of lights, or from experience have any useful information for me.

Many thanks in advance.
Old 28 March 2007, 05:03 AM
m1cks
Scooby Regular

BTTT Anybody? HELP???
Old 02 April 2007, 11:02 AM
King Eric
Scooby Regular

Hi mate, I am about to do the same thing. Got a pair of STi lights coming from a JDM STi7 to go onto a UK300 following an incident with a duck, and wanted the Zenons version off the STi

It seems we can get a loom from canada or something......just doing some research now.

Anyone able to help M1cks and me out here?
Old 02 April 2007, 01:22 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

There's a thread here about fitting STi lights into a WRX. Bit different but it dioes have a link for the guy in Canada who makes the adaptors, pretty sure he does HID's into an STi as well.
Old 04 April 2007, 02:32 PM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Just half finished this job myself.

Fitted JDM HIDs (bought on eBay) to a 2002 Buyeye WRX used the wiring looms from George (To Your Door From Around the World) based in Canada, used PayPal to buy I also bought the levelling harness and switch (not fitted these yet).

The light harness was perfect and with instructions from jdmpartstx I was able to fit in minutes. The HIDs and High beam operate at the same time (careful with flash to pass as HIDs don't like this) so I leave my Dips on all the time now.

Email George at george.davies@chaiofangimports.com to find out more.
Old 05 April 2007, 11:50 PM
m1cks
Scooby Regular

Thank you all (especially bluebugeye for the jdmpartstx link) I have e-mailed george and will let you all know how things progress.

Last edited by m1cks; 05 April 2007 at 11:55 PM.
Old 18 April 2007, 08:00 PM
m1cks
Scooby Regular

The finnished product

Really happy with the look and once again, thank you to all those that helped
Old 15 May 2007, 05:51 PM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

I have a question - my lights have the indicators at the top and the round light next to the HID is the sidelight - yours appear the other way around any ideas which is correct?
Old 27 May 2007, 07:51 PM
Northern Nick
Scooby Regular

Mine are the EDM (European Domestic Market (UK Car)) headlights and they are full beam at the top and indicators lower outer light.

What the differance between JDM HID's and EDM standard headlights??
Old 30 May 2007, 08:15 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

I had mine off (ooh err missus) at the weekend to finally fit the levelling harness and noticed that the previous owner had cut the wires between the connector for the indicator and sidelight and the bulbs on the light cluster then swapped the wires over, moving the indicators to the top (where they are on the standard lights) and the sidelights into the round light next to the dip.

I've also noticed that one of the indicator (or sidelight on my cars) lens has started to discolor (melt?) is this due to the sidelight bulbs now being I guess a higher wattage? Also does this mean that my parking lights (which I rarely use) will now draw more current therefore flattening the battery more quickly?

If anybody wants some help fitting these or the levelling harness let me know 'cause if I'd known the easiest way to route the wires for the levelling it would have saved me at least 2 hrs!
Old 09 June 2007, 09:36 AM
Rising
Scooby Regular

Hi Guys,

Where do you 'source' these lights from? Im propper struggling to find any.
And if im going for the look, rather than light beam factor should i just be looking for the UK ones?

Last edited by Rising; 09 June 2007 at 09:37 AM. Reason: spelt something wrong
Old 12 June 2007, 09:33 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Sourcing the STI headlights

I tried a few scrap yards, ebay etc but these lights seem v.rare.
You can get them from a UK Scooby dealership for £500, or do what I did and get them shipped from Japan.

I used newera imports based in Brighton to get me a set. Contact Miguel and ask him to get you a non-HID set - tell him they're the same as recently ordered by Giles. Being from Japan they're RHD configured anyway. I received mine through in 2 days once he'd received them in Tokyo and I'm currently waiting for a harness from George at Chaoi Fang Imports in Canada so I can fit them without cutting the wiring loom for the original headlights.

The only other alternative might be to go through a US company. I know Vivid racing supply them but they were expensive - I'm sure it would have been cheaper to go through the UK dealers.
Old 11 July 2007, 12:11 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Default Recommend the version 2 STI grille too

Hey guys,

In case anyone's interested, Subaru also do a version 2 STI grille for the bugeye, which is a one-piece colour coded item instead of the 3 piece fitted to the older models (it's £150 inc VAT from a dealer in the UK in a colour of your choice).

Got my JDM headlights and a harness from George Davies through the post; together with the grille it transforms the front end completely...
Old 13 July 2007, 05:49 PM
Rising
Scooby Regular

Scoob >> So what kind of £ for the imported lights and the harness from Canada all in?? Cheers N,,
Old 14 July 2007, 01:30 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

I got lucky with the lights as I was misquoted but Newera still honoured the price so I saved a bit.

I'd suspect the projector units will set you back £500, plus £150 if you want the grille from Subaru, and £40 for the wiring harness.

Cheers,

Giles
Old 17 July 2007, 08:19 PM
Rising
Scooby Regular

So are these lights xenon then??
Old 17 July 2007, 10:12 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Not exactly as far as I know - they use standard bulbs - but because of the configuration of the light they are much better.

The standard WRX has a shield over the bulbs in the headlamps, so you end up with a very wide but short beam - these have more length as far as I've noticed. And the main beam is loads better.

If you want HID's then you'll have to source some, although I think they're actually illegal and are an MOT failure. Xenons also require some sort of aftermarket mod I think?