Notices

Are these PIAA fog lights???

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2006, 05:07 PM
Dave M UK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are these PIAA fog lights???

I need some help here, look at the pictures below, in the engine compartment i have a PIAA box which suggests an upgrade but the fog lights them selves look like standard items, i think the guy who owned this car before me had the upgrade then swopped the fogs back to the originals while leving the PIAA box in place, am i right????

Old 01 June 2006, 08:38 PM
Dave uk blue mica
Scooby Regular

the pics are so small i can't tell, sort out the size and put the pics back on
Old 02 June 2006, 06:55 PM
Dave M UK
Scooby Regular

Are you being serious?? the pics look fine to me, the little one is the PIAA box that is fixed to the bulk head in the engine bay, this is the only small pic, unless they appear different to you guys for some reason, i have just read me post and they are plenty big enough for identification purposes

Dave m
Old 02 June 2006, 07:00 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't see the top or bottom picture either. The top one is 6x5 pixels!!
It may be an HID conversion, keeping the original lights. The box may be an HID ballast. Is there two of them?
Nick
Old 02 June 2006, 08:01 PM
Dave M UK
Scooby Regular

just one white box that says PIAA on it, cant understand whats wrong with the pics cos i can see them fine, i will try and get bigger ones when i have more time,

I doubt its a HID conversion, if it is then it aint worth the money cos the lights aint amazingly bright

The fog lights have subaru written across them this is why im thinking it once had the PIAA conversion
Old 04 June 2006, 01:05 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

I can't see the pics properly either, the bottom one is awful. About 1/4" square!

However, if the lights say "Subaru" on them, the ARE foglights.

The box, however, is a different story. Could it be a relay he's left in place? How many wires coming out, and what size?

Oh, and do your fogs now work as they are supposed to, (headlights on, fogs come on when switched on), or do they come on when you select main beam?

If it's the former, the box would seem to be redundant. Do you have a circuit tester so you can see if any wires to it/from it are live?

If it's the latter, the box is a PIAA realy, and alls you have to do is swop the fogs for driving lights, (PIAA are the best bet), and away you go.

Alcazar
Old 04 June 2006, 02:30 PM
Dave M UK
Scooby Regular

yeh the fogs only come on when main beam is on and the fog light switch is on, even with the fog light switch on they wont illuminate unless the headlights are on main beam.

I will try to re do the pictures when i get time
Old 04 June 2006, 02:56 PM
Dave uk blue mica
Scooby Regular

the PIAA box is the one that comes with a driving light kit but if the lights say subaru on them then they've been changed back to fog lights, the original PIAA driving lights look totally different than subaru fog lights, the PIAA's should be clear lenses and have PIAA written on them.
Old 04 June 2006, 03:59 PM
Dave M UK
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that, that is exactly what i thought, the last owner must of realised that he could make a bit of cash from the PIAA items and took them off swopping them with the original subaru ones, he prbably couldnt be bothered taking out the PIAA box under the bonnet and kindly left it in so that the next owner could appreicate his handy work, what a plonker,

I got suspisious when i saw another subaru with the PIAA conversion and noticed that his fog lights were clear, mine are not clear and say subaru on them, that is what made me think,

So im right in saying that the relays and things are in place so all i need to do is buy and replace the subaru fog lights for some new PIAA ones, how much would that cost and how much am i saving by buying just the light units as the connections are already in place
Old 04 June 2006, 04:56 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Yes, just buy the lights and brackets, you won't save a great deal, sorry.

Alcazar