Dead battery after a week?

Search this Thread

Old 27 March 2006, 06:49 PM
Marky9074
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dead battery after a week?

Got a WRX300....

Just had to call Subaru Assist out to Gatwick after it was dead from only one week away! Only the alarm and tracker on it.....anyone got any opinions/ideas? Booked in for a look on Friday, though I would like some input if anyone can help...

Cheers,

Mark
Old 28 March 2006, 12:14 PM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Common fault on the WRX03-05 and STI's. The battery is crap and many have been replaced under warranty. Some say due to problem with RAC Trackstar not going into standby mode soon enough. I've not got a RAC tracker on my car but still had the no starting problems after leaving car for the weekend. They also have a 'smart' alternator that doesn't charge unless you have lights or something drawing decent current switched on. Normal daytime running doesn't charge the battery. I changed to a Bosch Asian Silver type 6DA and all my problems have gone. Starts instantly and it has higher capacity than the OEM fit battery.

I take it your battery is black top with whitish colour base and no labels just 55D23 or very similar in the plastic moulding?

Andy.
Old 28 March 2006, 01:57 PM
Marky9074
Scooby Regular

Yep sounds like the one...

But when you say that the smart alternator doesnt charge, is this fixed with the new battery? Or are you forcing it to charge by turning lights etc on?
Old 28 March 2006, 03:24 PM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

I've not had any problems since changing the battery and I don't run with lights on in the daytime.

If you/dealer change the battery for a decent one then your problem should be fixed.

Yes the battery is the same as what came off my car. I'm now using it to power an ultrasonic cat scarer in my car, about all its good for except a doorstop.

Andy.
Old 28 March 2006, 04:50 PM
Blue
Scooby Regular

I've not got a Tracker and still have had starting probs - I just put it down to being a crap battery - maybe I should have called my dealer - 3 year is up tomorrow!!
Old 29 March 2006, 10:22 AM
ScoobaSteve
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I have a MY02 WRX and left it for 2 days,went to start it this morning and no joy,had to ask a kind neighbour to assist me.
This happened before Christmas and thought it may have been the battery,so duly went out and got one.This is now starting to wind me up as i dont do aload of miles,the cars not used every day,and cant rely on the neighbours always helping me out.
The only aftermarket device fitted that could make a difference was a Trackker i had fitted last year,but surely that doesnt draw enough power to drain a battery in 2 days....does it?
Old 29 March 2006, 12:01 PM
Marky9074
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobaSteve
I have a MY02 WRX and left it for 2 days,went to start it this morning and no joy,had to ask a kind neighbour to assist me.
This happened before Christmas and thought it may have been the battery,so duly went out and got one.This is now starting to wind me up as i dont do aload of miles,the cars not used every day,and cant rely on the neighbours always helping me out.
The only aftermarket device fitted that could make a difference was a Trackker i had fitted last year,but surely that doesnt draw enough power to drain a battery in 2 days....does it?
Did you get the heavy duty battery or another OEM?

Trending Topics

Old 29 March 2006, 12:34 PM
ScoobaSteve
Scooby Regular

I got a nice heavy duty one.Measured the voltage this morn and was at 11.07vdc.When key put to aux went down to just over 10.5
And when trying to crank over went down to 9.63vdc
With it up and running had it up to 14.49vdc
Old 29 March 2006, 01:10 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

Originally Posted by Marky9074
Got a WRX300....

Just had to call Subaru Assist out to Gatwick after it was dead from only one week away! Only the alarm and tracker on it.....anyone got any opinions/ideas? Booked in for a look on Friday, though I would like some input if anyone can help...

Cheers,

Mark
If it's an RAC Trackstar, as said above it's a known problem that the Trackstar doesn't go into 'sleep mode' early enough for our fragile Scoob batteries . To get around this Trackstar have an improved unit that will go to sleep earlier and not drain the battery so quick . Give them a call and they can arrange for an engineer to come to you and swap the unit for an upgraded one (at a cost though )

Dave
Old 29 March 2006, 03:23 PM
Marky9074
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IN THE STICKS
If it's an RAC Trackstar, as said above it's a known problem that the Trackstar doesn't go into 'sleep mode' early enough for our fragile Scoob batteries . To get around this Trackstar have an improved unit that will go to sleep earlier and not drain the battery so quick . Give them a call and they can arrange for an engineer to come to you and swap the unit for an upgraded one (at a cost though )

Dave
But the car is less than a year old....surely it would have the latest model?

Mark
Old 30 March 2006, 12:40 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

Originally Posted by Marky9074
But the car is less than a year old....surely it would have the latest model?

Mark
you would think so wouldn't you , it must be worth giving Trackstar a call to find out though .
Old 30 March 2006, 01:20 PM
ScoobaSteve
Scooby Regular

I called Trackstar and explained the situation to them and you can get a new unit which puts the system in "sleep mode" quicker.As i didnt get it direct from RAC,i then called the dealer who sold it me.He said that the Trackstar draws only milliamps and wouldnt deaden the battery after a short amount of time,but would call me back and let me know for definate.
Still awaiting a phone call.
While on the subject,speaking to my local indipendent Scooby garage,they have had instances like this before and found out that the boot light wasnt going out with the boot lid closed.They too have found that the output is good and the reason must be the Trackstar
Old 30 March 2006, 01:47 PM
ScoobaSteve
Scooby Regular

Got a call back from the dealer,who stated if the car is stood idle for ages,then yes it will have an effect on battery drain.They have agreed to swap over the units to one that goes "to sleep" quicker
Old 31 March 2006, 01:49 PM
Marky9074
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobaSteve
Got a call back from the dealer,who stated if the car is stood idle for ages,then yes it will have an effect on battery drain.They have agreed to swap over the units to one that goes "to sleep" quicker
Just been to the dealer and he wants 'me' to sort out the tracker, even though as it was a WRX300 it come with it out of the box....at least he tracked it to the tracker....
Old 31 March 2006, 02:03 PM
ScoobaSteve
Scooby Regular

Mine was fitted aftermarket.
If i was you Marky9074 i would kick up a fuss.Phone Trackstar up directly and explain to them.It is a know fault as Trackstar told me.It shouldnt be down to you to sort it out.If it was fitted to the car at new thats the dealers problem,not yours.Let us know how you get on
Old 31 March 2006, 04:12 PM
Marky9074
Scooby Regular

Phoned Trackstar and they wanted £85 to come and look at it, I complained and they said to speak to the dealer. I didnt bother with the dealer I had just been too, so I rung the dealer I bought the car from......

They are ringing Trackstar and I am awaiting the call back....
Old 31 March 2006, 04:20 PM
Marky9074
Scooby Regular

OK, just got called back and the dealer has started the ball rolling with Trackstar....

Apparantly, all they do is change a board that changes it from a six hour sleep to a one hour sleep period and it is all sorted.

Just waiting for Trackstar to ring me back....
Old 31 March 2006, 07:47 PM
ScoobaSteve
Scooby Regular

Apply a bit of pressure and they give in