Notices

jdm sti hid not working(help)

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2006, 10:33 PM
scoob-555
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jdm sti hid not working(help)

jumped in the car tonight and found the lights a bit poor, jumped out and the hid on drivers side not working.
took it back home checked the fuses and relays next to battery and they seem to be ok(unless there is more else where ). scratched me head a bit then swapped the light unit to the other side and it worked so it's not the bulb, by now really scratchin me bonce . dont really know to much about this kind of light, anybody got any ideas.
much appreciated andy
Old 24 March 2006, 08:51 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

When you say "swapped the light unit", what, exactlty, did you swap?

An HID unit consists of a reflector and lens, (what most people call the "light"), a burner, (what people call the "bulb"), a ballast, which makes the arc in the burner strike, and associated wiring, including, or not including, relays and fuses, depending on kit.

If you swapped the burner, and it worked on the other side, and you've checked wiring etc, then I'd suspect the ballast.

This IS NOT something I'd recommend trying to self-test, you can get massive shocks off one!

If you've checked the wiring etc and are satisfied, take it to an auto electrics place.

Alcazar

BTW: when this happened to me, with my Hella 1000ff HIDs, it turned out to be the relay, rusted solid insideRepair was £5, all relays now sealed with Araldite!

Power was getting TO it, but not coming OUT of it!
Old 24 March 2006, 02:30 PM
scoob-555
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i swapped the whole headlamp assembly from one side to the other. so it is'nt the burner. i have recently taken the bumper off and its since then it has happened.
looks like its coming back off just to make sure i havent disturbed
any wiring, cant see that i could of though
thanks for info