Notices

Spot lamp options for MY98 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2006, 07:55 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spot lamp options for MY98 WRX

Right then, what do most people use for the 3 slat bumper?

I have no problem fabricating barckets and adapting the wiring, but just need to know part/model numbers for lamps.

Cheers in advance,

Wayne.
Old 20 February 2006, 09:52 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink

Hella 1000FF in HID version, using the now defunct Scoobysport's brackets.

Basically, they took the single "post" type mounting off the back of the lights, and made up brackets from steel plate, complete with a hole to accept the rear of the HID unit, and two thinner pieces of shaped steel to hold it in place.

Not beyond the wit of man to copy.

All you need then is a relay, and some bits of wiring, and instant daylight.

Not sure of the cost of the HID units now, not cheap, but WELL worth it! Try Hella dealers (Yell.com will supply numbers), or Demon Tweeks etc. Don't forget to specify it's the Gas Discharge ones you want.

Alcazar
Old 22 February 2006, 02:33 PM
stevo1970
Scooby Regular

Although HID lamps will be best they are very expensive. I used a pair of Cibie Oscar+ lamps (175mm Diameter), I bought them brand new off e-bay for £80 the pair.

To fit them, remove the original single point mount by drilling out the rivets. Refit the inner mounting plate to screw the lense to and re rivet to prevent water getting in. Then make a Y shaped bracket which, due to the lamps having a flat back to the shell, will bolt directly across the back of the lamp. I used quarter insh aluminium plate. The Y shaped bracket will use the three original mounting points in the bumper. Just make sure everything is going to fit Ok before you start drilling, measure twice, drill once!! and use longer bolts.

You will need to space the lamps up and out on the mounts to the bumper with washers. This is quite fiddely but stick with it. Once done I upgraded to 100W H2 bulbs and the effect is absolutly stunning.

Mine are wired using an original fog light feed from the dash switch and a main beam feed so that the will only work with the switch and main beam activated.

Good luck
Old 23 February 2006, 12:36 AM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies!!

I think that the Cibie option looks favourite to my pocket at the moment.

Any pics either of you? Really need to see how far they stick out of the bumper.
Old 23 February 2006, 07:39 AM
stevo1970
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Welloilbeefhooked
Thanks for the replies!!

I think that the Cibie option looks favourite to my pocket at the moment.

Any pics either of you? Really need to see how far they stick out of the bumper.
PM me your e-mail. I'll take some pics after work and send them tonight.
Old 26 February 2006, 01:20 AM
cefski
Scooby Regular

I've had Cibie Oscar Pluses and although the light they emitted was brilliant, I didn't find them to be the most reliable of lights. Admittedly, most units won't give you any problems, but some will. The bulbs in mine lasted maybe a month at most. It's all to do with the H2 bulb and bulb holder design, which sometimes induces arcing between the two and shortens bulb life significantly. This isn't a universal fault by any stretch, but it's something to bear in mind all the same.

Missus had a minor prang in the Imp some 8 months ago, providing me with a good excuse to replace the Cibies with a pair of PIAA's from Scoobyworld. Fitting requires some drilling to the bumper and foglamp bracket and you need to take a little time to set them up properly, but the results are well worth it. As a bonus, I haven't had to replace a bulb yet

Not as good as HIDs, but IMHO PIAAs are the next best thing.

I'll email you some pics if you need them.

Cheers

Kev

Last edited by cefski; 26 February 2006 at 01:22 AM.
Old 26 February 2006, 08:38 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

I'd go with the above.

The problem with H2 bulbs seems to be made worse when higher wattage bulbs are in use, something to do with the mounting not being able to dissipate the heat they generate

This overheats the bulbholder, which loses it's springiness, stops gripping the bulb, and the dreaded arcing starts

Add to that, the problem of SOURCING higher wattage H2's........

Alcazar