Notices

Battery life of 1 week max !

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2006, 09:49 PM
Dogus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery life of 1 week max !

Had new Varta battery fitted approx 6 months ago and have had no issues until now.

With the battery fully charged, if I don't take the car out, it will only last 5-7 days before it's flat again, alarm goes off, car won't start and it needs charging. Never used to be the case, could go on hols for 2 weeks and all was fine when I returned, but now 1 week max and it's flat.

What's going on?
Old 03 February 2006, 02:34 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Sounds like it's not holding it's charge, the reason for which could be one of many.

Six months, however, is NOT a good enough lifespan for a battery. Take it back to wherever you bought it, and ask them nicely to investigate.

Alcazar
Old 12 February 2006, 03:47 PM
Kazik
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many years ago, similar problem on a vehicle of ours was down to faulty rectifier pack within alternator. Leaky diode allowed battery to drain down when car not in use. Old battery would flatten overnight.

Removing multipin connector plug from alternator overnight proved the case. With alternator disconnected, battery did not drain overnight. In the morning, having reconnected alternator electrics, battery would start car perfectly.

In those days, a £10 replacement rectifier pack fitted into the alternator solved the problem. Nowadays, I suspect that you could be looking at a replacement alternator ......

Hope this helps