Front fogs?

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2005, 09:52 AM
Mr Smith P1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front fogs?

Front fogs?

I have a 2000 P1 and the front fogs only work when I have the head lights on full beam, is there anyway this can be changed to work strait of the switch?
Old 19 December 2005, 10:44 AM
SCOOBY TOWERS
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you've got driving lights - not fogs.

Its illegal for driving lights to come on with anything other than the full beam.
Old 19 December 2005, 12:25 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

P1 's were fitted with driving lights as standard. As above, it's illegal to wire them any other way than is already done..

Alcazar
Old 20 December 2005, 11:38 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

As above and because you really don't want to look like a BMW/ 306 driver driving around with your "fogs" on when they are not needed....
Old 21 December 2005, 04:13 PM
Mr Smith P1
Scooby Regular

Bugger, its not that I wanted them for driving round but I like using them in foggy weather and that I tend to drive on dipped beam.

O well they still look cool
Old 21 December 2005, 09:49 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

I fail to see why *any* manufacturer fits a car with with fog lamps front or rear, front are worse than useless in thick fog, you cannot beat dipped beam and when you do switch them on they only light up the road below your dipped beam

Rear fogs are another pointless excersise as they impair vision of the person following as they are so dazzling
Old 28 December 2005, 03:03 AM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

If you *really* want to do it, you need to add two wires.
This supplement tells you how Subaru converted "foglamps operated by a switch" to "driving lamps operated by mainbeam" (which you can switch on and off if preferred) for the P1.

The relay is behind the dash panel where your driving lamp switch is, so pretty easy to get at and alter.

And how sad is this? I can even show you what the relay looks like when you take the panel off....

Last edited by AlanG; 28 December 2005 at 03:13 AM.
Old 28 December 2005, 06:59 AM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Buy some fogs, a relay and a small cheap switch. It wont be hard to wire them in as a separate loom, and standard subaru fogs are pretty cheap/easy to come by.

You can always replace the driving lights when the foggy conditions have gone in the summer. Just dont sell/swap them for fogs, they are worth much more.
Old 28 December 2005, 09:19 AM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Buy some fogs, a relay and a small cheap switch
Why buy additional bits, when all you need to do is add 2 wires to the wiring that's all ready there?

dont sell/swap them for fogs, they are worth much more.
Going to disagree there. The clear foglamps sell on he likes of E-bay 2nd hand for similar money to cost of new P1 driving lamps. Only the early foglamps are cheap.
Keep a hold of the P1 surrounds though and don't ditch. You get good money for them.
Old 28 December 2005, 11:30 AM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by AlanG
Why buy additional bits, when all you need to do is add 2 wires to the wiring that's all ready there?
So he can wire them up as FOGLIGHTS, on a switch that only puts them on when he has sidelights or dipped beam on.

A separate loom means he is not hacking into the original wiring. Much better if you want to revert back simply by swapping the lights themselves, rather than having to rewire again. 10min Job.

P1 driving lights, fitted to 1000cars are harder to get hold off than clear fogs which were fitted to all uk cars from 99 to 02. So will be worth more, as far as I can tell. Diagree all you like.

Ebay is no longer the chepest place to buy a lot of scooby parts, unfortunately. Its too well known now and people are paying over the odds, just to win
Old 28 December 2005, 05:52 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

I think he just wants to have the option of switching them on when he wants rather than only coming on with mainbeam.

10 minute job to add two wires too! lol.

P1 lamps are only 40 odd quid to buy new unless it's the HID variety where you're looking at 200 odd quid. .... each!!

You're right about E-bay no longer being the cheapest place to buy... {my god, we agree!!} hence crystal front fogs for 99-02 are going for good money if you've got some you can sell. Hmm.. i've got a pair in the loft funnily enough!! and no.... i'm not selling!
Old 29 December 2005, 06:02 PM
Mr Smith P1
Scooby Regular

I think he just wants to have the option of switching them on when he wants rather than only coming on with mainbeam.
Thats right, i will have a look at some point but its a bit to cold now
Old 30 December 2005, 08:34 PM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

That goes without saying ??? Hence sticking in a separate loom, rather than playing around with the original loom.

And Fogs should not be wired to come on w mainbeam, only dipped beam and sidelights when the switch is also On..

Driving lights are wired to main beam, without a switch.

P1 lights themselves are just hella units, its the original surrounds and brackets that cost.

I thought he wanted to fit fogs instead of permamnetly wired driving lights