Notices

Rear heated screen + tints

Search this Thread

Old 01 December 2005, 06:11 PM
elv73
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear heated screen + tints

Could tinting a rear screen cause the screen heater not to work properly?
I ask because I have just bought ny first scoob a couple of weeks ago (93 WRX)
but when I turn on the rear heated screen it does absolutely nothing!
I have checked the conector on one side of the screen and it is getting power (screwdriver with bulb type circuit tester) when switched on but does absolutely nothing to demist the screen??
Was wondering if the heavy tints it came from japan with could be effecting stopping the hea t getting through???
If not any one got any ideas why its not demisting the screen???

Lee
Old 01 December 2005, 06:37 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Get a cheapo resistance meter and do a resistance test across the screen terminals. You need to do this with the connectors disconnected. It shouldn't read zero, nor should it read infinite resitance, somewhere between.

If this is OK, then suspect the return path from the screen back to the battery.

Alcazar
Old 01 December 2005, 07:16 PM
elv73
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by alcazar
Get a cheapo resistance meter and do a resistance test across the screen terminals. You need to do this with the connectors disconnected. It shouldn't read zero, nor should it read infinite resitance, somewhere between.

If this is OK, then suspect the return path from the screen back to the battery.

Alcazar
where would be the best place to get one?
Also I take it that the connector one side of the screen is the feed and the other side is the return, hence only showing power to one side? (sorry not great with electrics)
Old 02 December 2005, 01:47 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by elv73
where would be the best place to get one?
Mine came from B&Q, around £6.

Originally Posted by elv73
Also I take it that the connector one side of the screen is the feed and the other side is the return, hence only showing power to one side? (sorry not great with electrics)
Yes, that's right. You need to disconnect it though so that you don't get spurious readings from then other parts of the car's electrics.

Alcazar
Old 03 December 2005, 07:38 AM
nas sti
Scooby Regular

get a test light or a metre and test there is 12v to the rear screen

nothing has to be disconnected . if the bulb lights on your tester or you get 12v from the metre the screen is faulty nothing to do with your tints

cheers neil
Old 04 December 2005, 08:19 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nas sti
get a test light or a metre and test there is 12v to the rear screen

nothing has to be disconnected . if the bulb lights on your tester or you get 12v from the metre the screen is faulty nothing to do with your tints

cheers neil
If you read his original post, guy, you'll see he has already done the first bit and has found 12V at the incoming connector.

What he NOW needs to do is find out if the screen itself is faulty, or the return wiring is broken.

He can eliminate the screen as faulty by checking that it does have SOME resistance, but if he doesn't disconnect it from the rest of the car in order to test it, he runs the risk of finding OTHER paths through the very complicated car electrics, and measuring them instead, then assuming the screen is OK.

If he's disconnected the screen, and gets an open circuit, then he knows the screen is faulty. If he finds some resistance, but not TOO much, he can eliminate the screen, and start to look for problems in the return path: broken wire, bad soldered joint, poor earth connection, etc.

HTH,
Alcazar
Old 04 December 2005, 10:27 AM
magicdudey
Scooby Regular

Do know that when I got mine done on a newage wrx they did not put a metallic content window tint on the rear and this would interfere with the sat nav ariel. They went for a normal tint.
Don'tm know about the heater though?
Old 05 December 2005, 06:39 PM
elv73
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by alcazar
If you read his original post, guy, you'll see he has already done the first bit and has found 12V at the incoming connector.

What he NOW needs to do is find out if the screen itself is faulty, or the return wiring is broken.

He can eliminate the screen as faulty by checking that it does have SOME resistance, but if he doesn't disconnect it from the rest of the car in order to test it, he runs the risk of finding OTHER paths through the very complicated car electrics, and measuring them instead, then assuming the screen is OK.

If he's disconnected the screen, and gets an open circuit, then he knows the screen is faulty. If he finds some resistance, but not TOO much, he can eliminate the screen, and start to look for problems in the return path: broken wire, bad soldered joint, poor earth connection, etc.

HTH,
Alcazar
Thanks fellas will investigate as soon as I get chance.I think the return wiring theory seems about the most likely. I have checked the heater elements and cant find any damage but will check it all out then post back to let you know.
Cheers.