PIAA Driving Lamps

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2005, 07:08 PM
1999turbo
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PIAA Driving Lamps

My first post, Hi to all.
As the name suggests I have a 99 classic turbo. I wanted to upgrade my Fogs to Driving lamps.
I bought some today from Bell & Colvill (Subaru dealers) in Leatherhead Surrey. PIAA 80 XT Pro. They had them reduced from £323 (outrageous) to a more acceptable £175, incl VAT. I noticed a set went on Ebay for over £200 earlier in the week.
If anyone else needs a set call them on 01483 281 000 and speak to Pete in parts. The part number is: SACC 2123.
Old 22 October 2005, 12:45 AM
cefski
Scooby Regular

Welcome, 1999turbo. A timely post, as I paid £250 for a set of new PIAAs a couple of weeks ago

Mods - please delete this thread before my missus sees it

Kev
Old 22 October 2005, 10:06 AM
1999turbo
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by cefski
Welcome, 1999turbo. A timely post, as I paid £250 for a set of new PIAAs a couple of weeks ago

Mods - please delete this thread before my missus sees it

Kev
Kev, sorry to hear that mate.....
BTW did you fit them yourself? If so, how difficult was it??

Regards

Dave
Old 22 October 2005, 12:40 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome: Great lights at a good price. You will be able to see where you are going now and if anybody messes about dazzling you, take care not to burn their eyeballs out.
Old 22 October 2005, 01:04 PM
cefski
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 1999turbo
Kev, sorry to hear that mate.....
BTW did you fit them yourself? If so, how difficult was it??

Regards

Dave
Hi Dave.

Yes, I did fit them myself, but I'd already installed a wiring harness a couple of years ago for a set of Cibies I had, which used the front fog switch as a master on/off. I ended up using this harness instead of the PIAA one as I know it's sound and it provides the exact same functions, but with the added protection of two fused relays.

As long as you spend a bit of time in preparation, getting your head around the wiring and figuring out what goes where, installation shouldn't be a problem.

Biggest job was drilling the 20mm clearance hole through the bumper and fog bracket. Can end up looking messy if you're not careful, but they're out of sight anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

Kev

Edited to add - as Harvey said, the difference the PIAAs make to night time vision is astonishing - You'll find yourself stopping on narrow country lanes switching between dipped, full beam and full beam with PIAA's and asking yourself "how the fugg did I cope without them???"

Last edited by cefski; 22 October 2005 at 01:12 PM.
Old 22 October 2005, 03:46 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

Great lamps had them fitted to my previous scooby,But a word of warning, I had a lot of problems with damp getting inside and tried all sorts to try and solve it..holes in the bottom..sealed will silicon etc but still the damp got inside somehow.So when it comes to bulb change time ensure you put them back together exactly as the came a part....bulbs available from Halfrauds at £5 ish each

powerman
Old 22 October 2005, 05:11 PM
1999turbo
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the tips guys........

Dave
Old 22 October 2005, 05:37 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Setting them up is a pain. I have a particular spot on a back road that has virtually no traffic. Straight and level.
Initial setting has to be done with the lock nut not fully tightened.
After checking the headlight alignment, I do a rough setting of the driving lights on an industrial estate using a wall with the car up to the wall then reversing back a few yards on the level surface. Some chalk for marking is handy.
I then go to the chosen spot out of town and do the final setting with the opposite side headlight and spot disconnected and a bit of cardboard over the other headlight to act as a shield. I then do the opposite side and back to base to remove each mounting bracket, three set screws, for proper tightening.
The lights are a great help in the first place and taking time to get them spot (pun ) on is worthwhile.
Good luck.
Old 22 October 2005, 06:01 PM
Tasberley
Scooby Regular

brilliant lights!! night??? whats that... i thought we just had daylight now
Old 22 October 2005, 07:38 PM
1999turbo
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by harvey
Setting them up is a pain. I have a particular spot on a back road that has virtually no traffic. Straight and level.
Initial setting has to be done with the lock nut not fully tightened.
After checking the headlight alignment, I do a rough setting of the driving lights on an industrial estate using a wall with the car up to the wall then reversing back a few yards on the level surface. Some chalk for marking is handy.
I then go to the chosen spot out of town and do the final setting with the opposite side headlight and spot disconnected and a bit of cardboard over the other headlight to act as a shield. I then do the opposite side and back to base to remove each mounting bracket, three set screws, for proper tightening.
The lights are a great help in the first place and taking time to get them spot (pun ) on is worthwhile.
Good luck.
Thanks Harvey, sounds a real bitch! Tempted to take the car to my dealers. They quoted two hours labour to fit & align.........still a few bob though.
Dave